Topics

moderated jaws with text area boxes.

Patrick Murphy

Hi,

Maybe someone else has seen this.

On a web page form, you will obviously have a number of different types of input, text boxes, combos, radio buttons etc.

One of these is a “textarea” which typically is used for entering something like a large query or something to be sent.

When tabbing through the various form controls, jaws will read out the labels associated with other input controls, but just says “edit” when it comes to the text area control.

If you tab away from it, and return to it after entering something, it just says “contains text”.

The label attached to it could say something like “please enter your query”.

If you come out of forms mode, and read the page normally, you will see the label text.

Has anyone seen this?

Any work arounds?

pat

Sean Murphy

Yes and aria-label will address the issue.  This is  one method

My experience is the part

On 31 May 2020, at 5:38 am, Patrick Murphy <murphy.patrick42@...> wrote:

Hi,

Maybe someone else has seen this.

On a web page form, you will obviously have a number of different types of input, text boxes, combos, radio buttons etc.

One of these is a “textarea” which typically is used for entering something like a large query or something to be sent.

When tabbing through the various form controls, jaws will read out the labels associated with other input controls, but just says “edit” when it comes to the text area control.

If you tab away from it, and return to it after entering something, it just says “contains text”.

The label attached to it could say something like “please enter your query”.

If you come out of forms mode, and read the page normally, you will see the label text.

Has anyone seen this?

Any work arounds?

pat

Justin Williams

One way I work with those, is to type what I want into word or notpad, copy the text, and paste it in so I'm not fooling around with that.

Thanks,

Justin

On a web page form, you will obviously have a number of different types of input, text boxes, combos, radio buttons etc.

One of these is a “textarea” which typically is used for entering something like a large query or something to be sent.

When tabbing through the various form controls, jaws will read out the labels associated with other input controls, but just says “edit” when it comes to the text area control.

If you tab away from it, and return to it after entering something, it just says “contains text”.

The label attached to it could say something like “please enter your query”.

If you come out of forms mode, and read the page normally, you will see the label text.

Has anyone seen this?

Any work arounds?

pat

Van Lant, Robin

I definitely see this with regularity, but deal with it the same way you do.

On a web page form, you will obviously have a number of different types of input, text boxes, combos, radio buttons etc.

One of these is a “textarea” which typically is used for entering something like a large query or something to be sent.

When tabbing through the various form controls, jaws will read out the labels associated with other input controls, but just says “edit” when it comes to the text area control.

If you tab away from it, and return to it after entering something, it just says “contains text”.

The label attached to it could say something like “please enter your query”.

If you come out of forms mode, and read the page normally, you will see the label text.

Has anyone seen this?

Any work arounds?

pat

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Patrick Murphy

Hi,

Here is the html fix I found for it.

<textarea rows="4" id="query" name="query" aria-label="Enter your query:*"></textarea></td>

The label for and aria-label together, allows jaws to say “enter your query:*”.

However, the user just sees the actual label.

Without either one of these, jaws will not say anything in relation to the textarea box.

I have tested this with jaws 2018 and 2020.

I used a chrome based browser to try it. The browser is called brave.

I do not have google chrome or edge chrome installed, as I found their foot print on the laptop to be too great.

Brave performs in exactly the same way, as it is built on the chrome engine, but is a lot smaller.

Thanks,

Pat