moderated JAWS with more than one Braille Display

Life in Six Dots

Good afternoon all,

I have been wondering if it is possible to have two braille displays connected to the same computer with JAWS at the same time. Like I can with VoiceOver on macOS. Is this possible?

Many thanks, Paul

Richard Turner

I know nothing about Macs, are you saying they both can be active at the same time?  That would seem odd.

But, you can have multiple braille displays set up in Jaws and then switch displays in the Jaws Options, vraille.

You probably will have to restart jaws to get the alternate display working….

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Life in Six Dots
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 8:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS with more than one Braille Display

Good afternoon all,

I have been wondering if it is possible to have two braille displays connected to the same computer with JAWS at the same time. Like I can with VoiceOver on macOS. Is this possible?

Many thanks, Paul

Cohn, Jonathan

Really, I have seen mention in the Voiceover Utility to pick a primary display, but if I have my Brailliant connected, it seems like I have to delete that  profile before I can use a QBraille. What am I missing?
In terms of JAWS, I have configured multiple braille devices and it will find the one connected, but I have never tried to use more than one at a time.
Jonathan

On Jul 31, 2021, at 11:09, Life in Six Dots <hello@...> wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Many thanks, Paul

Life in Six Dots

Hi Johathan,VoiceOver on macOS lets you use multiple braille displays. Yes the primary display controls the screen reader but the others will output the braille, which is incredibly useful for teaching. I wondered if the same can be done with JAWS?

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan via groups.io
Sent: 31 July 2021 19:00
Subject: Re: JAWS with more than one Braille Display

Really, I have seen mention in the Voiceover Utility to pick a primary display, but if I have my Brailliant connected, it seems like I have to delete that  profile before I can use a QBraille. What am I missing?

In terms of JAWS, I have configured multiple braille devices and it will find the one connected, but I have never tried to use more than one at a time.

Jonathan

Good afternoon all,

Many thanks, Paul

Life in Six Dots

Hi Richard,

Yes. On macOS I can have two or more displays connected at the same time. One is the primary display. The others just receive output in braille. It’s very good for teaching purposes.

I wondered if JAWS could do the same. I have done what you’ve mentioned in the past few days and have experienced the same thing. I cannot seem to find a way to make two braille displays connect at the same time, like I can on macOS. I would assume from the comments I am receiving this isn’t possible.

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 31 July 2021 17:37

I know nothing about Macs, are you saying they both can be active at the same time?  That would seem odd.

But, you can have multiple braille displays set up in Jaws and then switch displays in the Jaws Options, vraille.

Richard

Good afternoon all,

Many thanks, Paul

Life in Six Dots

Hi Jonathan,

This might help explain how it works with VoiceOver on macOS: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/voiceover/vo30808/10/mac/11.0.0

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan via groups.io
Sent: 31 July 2021 19:00

Jonathan

Good afternoon all,

Many thanks, Paul

Life in Six Dots

Hi Richard,

This might help explain how it works with VoiceOver on macOS: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/voiceover/vo30808/10/mac/11.0.0

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 31 July 2021 17:37

Richard

Good afternoon all,

Many thanks, Paul