Topics

moderated Jaws too verbose with Zoom

Norma A. Boge

Hi group,

I’m using Jaws 2020.2008.24 on my Win 10 PC. There are times, When tabbing around in Zoom, Jaws says “Alerts Enabled.
Chat Messages captured only”

before identifying what is currently in focus.

This has been happening since I began using Zoom in April. Would someone please let me know what I need to do to get rid of this message.

Thanks,

Norma

Ashleigh Piccinino

Did you try going into the verbosity settings for JAWS? That might help, but I'm not sure otherwise
Ashleigh Piccinino

On Nov 21, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Norma A. Boge <naboge@...> wrote:

Hi group,

I’m using Jaws 2020.2008.24 on my Win 10 PC. There are times, When tabbing around in Zoom, Jaws says “Alerts Enabled.
Chat Messages captured only”

before identifying what is currently in focus.

This has been happening since I began using Zoom in April. Would someone please let me know what I need to do to get rid of this message.

Thanks,

Norma

Norma A. Boge

I’ve changed berbosity settings. I am confident this is a problem with Jaws.

Did you try going into the verbosity settings for JAWS? That might help, but I'm not sure otherwise

Ashleigh Piccinino

On Nov 21, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Norma A. Boge <naboge@...> wrote:

Hi group,

I’m using Jaws 2020.2008.24 on my Win 10 PC. There are times, When tabbing around in Zoom, Jaws says “Alerts Enabled.
Chat Messages captured only”

before identifying what is currently in focus.

This has been happening since I began using Zoom in April. Would someone please let me know what I need to do to get rid of this message.

Thanks,

Norma

Richard Turner

Hi Norma, and all,

I think I have narrowed down the issue with insert+tab using Jaws 2020 or 2021 and Zoom.

There is a problem with the Zoom scripts I guess in Jaws 2020 and 2021.

Jaws command: SayWindowPromptAndText, JAWSKey+Tab

Which should just return the information of the prompt and window text, right?

But in Zoom, it returns:

Alerts Enabled. Chat Messages captured only. Jump to contact, group chat or channel, shortcut Ctrl+T, editing box: Edit‑  Type in text.

After the annoying extra verbiage of " Alerts Enabled. Chat Messages captured only." It gives you what you wanted.

In Jaws 2019 where there is no Zoomsoftware files, it returns only the Window prompt and text as it should.

So, while I am not advanced enough to know how to fix this, the presence of the ZoomSoftware.* files  in Jaws 2020 and 2021 seems to be the problem.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark