Topics

moderated JAWS stops talking

Ray Lough

About a month ago I got a new Windows10 computer with JAWS20 home.  Whenever I switch between apps with alt-tab I lose speech.  Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix?

Mike B

When Jaws stops talking, does it resume speaking after a period of time, or do you have to restart Jaws with a Jaws start-up shortcut keystroke?

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 8:02 AM
Subject: JAWS stops talking

About a month ago I got a new Windows10 computer with JAWS20 home.  Whenever I switch between apps with alt-tab I lose speech.  Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix?

Ray Lough

Sometimes it will restart on its own but generally I have to restart it.  This problem also occurs in outlook when going from my inbox to my sent box.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 2:22 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS stops talking

When Jaws stops talking, does it resume speaking after a period of time, or do you have to restart Jaws with a Jaws start-up shortcut keystroke?

Jon Nixey <jon.ofhs5790@...>

I was having this problem with a Windows 10 laptop that was only just better than the minimum specifications required to run Jaws 2020.

I decided to splash out on a laptop with an intel I-7 processer and 16 GB of ram, and the difference is astonishing. I can count on one hand the number of times this has happened over the past 4 months, previously it was happening every day, several times a day.

Cheers, Jon

Sharon

Yea, with my current processor, it’s happening a lot even after I went from 6 to 16 gb memory.

Too bad I can’t afford a more speedy laptop. I find things are better with Jaws 2018.

Sharon

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Nixey
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 4:12 PM

I was having this problem with a Windows 10 laptop that was only just better than the minimum specifications required to run Jaws 2020.

I decided to splash out on a laptop with an intel I-7 processer and 16 GB of ram, and the difference is astonishing. I can count on one hand the number of times this has happened over the past 4 months, previously it was happening every day, several times a day.

Cheers, Jon

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

I was having no problems with JAWS at all on my new laptop with 16 GB of RAM until I started using Outlook.  Now every once in a while when arrowing through the list of emails in the inbox, JAWS will stop talking and I have to restart it.  This doesn’t happen often, maybe a couple times a week, and I am in Outlook all of the time.

Pam

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 4:35 PM

Yea, with my current processor, it’s happening a lot even after I went from 6 to 16 gb memory.

Too bad I can’t afford a more speedy laptop. I find things are better with Jaws 2018.

Sharon

Cheers, Jon

Mike B

Hi Ray & Sharon,

I wonder if this could possibly be a soundcard issue.  Try the following and see if this settings change helps or not.
1. Press, Insert + 6, on the the number row to open the Settings Center, now press, Control, Shift + D, to open the Settings Center default all applications.

2. Down arrow to, Users, and right arrow to open.

3, Down arrow several times to, Avoid speech cut off when using Bluetooth headphones or some soundcards, if this is unchecked press the spacebar to check it, tab to, apply, press the spacebar, tab to, okay, and press enter to save / close.

See if this helps and if it doesn't a call to Freedom Scientific / Vispero tech support might be in order.

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 12:26 PM

Sometimes it will restart on its own but generally I have to restart it.  This problem also occurs in outlook when going from my inbox to my sent box.

David Diamond

Sharon, perhaps you could find a government program that would purchase  a updated laptop for you? 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: August 24, 2020 1:35 PM

Sharon

Cheers, Jon

Sharon

Yea, that was the first thing we tried.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sharon

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi Ray & Sharon,

I wonder if this could possibly be a soundcard issue.  Try the following and see if this settings change helps or not.

1. Press, Insert + 6, on the the number row to open the Settings Center, now press, Control, Shift + D, to open the Settings Center default all applications.

2. Down arrow to, Users, and right arrow to open.

3, Down arrow several times to, Avoid speech cut off when using Bluetooth headphones or some soundcards, if this is unchecked press the spacebar to check it, tab to, apply, press the spacebar, tab to, okay, and press enter to save / close.

See if this helps and if it doesn't a call to Freedom Scientific / Vispero tech support might be in order.

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 12:26 PM

Ray Lough

My system is a dell Inspiron 3400 high performance desktop with an I5 processor

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 3:12 PM

Cheers, Jon