Topics

moderated Jaws silence when copying, pasting, etc.

T. Civitello

What is going on with Jaws not saying: paste, copy, selected, etc.?
Sometimes unloading Jaws and restarting it corrects the problem but at other times it doesn’t.  Tom

Randy Barnett

Sounds like you have set jaws verbosity to advanced.

On 2/18/2020 7:59 PM, T. Civitello wrote:
Sometimes unloading Jaws and restarting it corrects the problem but at other times it doesn’t.  Tom

Adrian Spratt

I sometimes experience this problem as well with JAWS 2020 (latest  release), and the workaround is the same as yours: unloading and reloading JAWS. However, I’ve found on one website, the Guardian newspaper and now the Washington Post, that despite selecting text, I can’t get the copying function to work at all in Chrome, my default browser. My workaround there has been to reopen the website in IE, where control-c works. Today, however, I experimented by closing JAWS 2020 and opening JAWS 2018. This time, I could copy material from the Guardian website. This is a JAWS 2020, and possibly JAWS 2019, problem.

So there are two problems that may or may not be related. Sometimes JAWS gets tired and won’t copy text until you unload and reload it. Separately, perhaps, JAWS won’t allow copying on at least some webpages on two websites.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of T. Civitello
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 10:59 PM
To: Jaws users list <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Jaws silence when copying, pasting, etc.

You can probably fix this not copying on certain websites by going into Quick Settings when the website is open and type “copy” into the search field, then tab once and you get this:

Select and copy full content using on-screen highlight

Press the spacebar and change it to:

Select and copy from virtual cursor

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws silence when copying, pasting, etc.

I sometimes experience this problem as well with JAWS 2020 (latest  release), and the workaround is the same as yours: unloading and reloading JAWS. However, I’ve found on one website, the Guardian newspaper and now the Washington Post, that despite selecting text, I can’t get the copying function to work at all in Chrome, my default browser. My workaround there has been to reopen the website in IE, where control-c works. Today, however, I experimented by closing JAWS 2020 and opening JAWS 2018. This time, I could copy material from the Guardian website. This is a JAWS 2020, and possibly JAWS 2019, problem.

So there are two problems that may or may not be related. Sometimes JAWS gets tired and won’t copy text until you unload and reload it. Separately, perhaps, JAWS won’t allow copying on at least some webpages on two websites.

Adrian Spratt

Virtual cursor copying is my default.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 12:05 AM

You can probably fix this not copying on certain websites by going into Quick Settings when the website is open and type “copy” into the search field, then tab once and you get this:

Select and copy full content using on-screen highlight

Press the spacebar and change it to:

Select and copy from virtual cursor

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:40 PM

Gerald Levy

This probblem has existed for years, and apparently, Vispero has never figured out a way to fix it.  Instead of using the copy, cut and paste shortcut keys, select the appropriate option from the context menu to be sure it has been activated.

Gerald

On 2/18/2020 10:59 PM, T. Civitello wrote: