moderated Jaws scripting and job success questions

Michael Walker

Hello all,

As I conduct my job search, how important is learning jaws scripting? I know very little about it. Can knowing it fix absolutely everything that is inaccessible? Without knowing what job I will be accepted for, I feel lost at where to start on learning jaws scripting, to get skilled at what needs to be made accessible. I just know that scripting is quite a time consuming process to learn.

What technology careers do most blind people commonly pursue? What has jaws scripting been able to make accessible? Where has it not been helpful? Is Jaws scripting essential, to have any successful career as a blind person? Have any of you been successful in your jobs, without being expert scripters? I feel a little concerned about all of this, because I wonder if I would have been able to have been 100% independent on my previous job, had I known scripting. Is it a panacea?

Thank you,
Mike

Rod

To succeed, you need many tools with which to create a toolbox. Knowing JAWS scripting is just another tool in that toolbox. You never know when and where you will need to leverage that technical skill.

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 3:38 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Hello all,

As I conduct my job search, how important is learning jaws scripting? I know very little about it. Can knowing it fix absolutely everything that is inaccessible? Without knowing what job I will be accepted for, I feel lost at where to start on learning jaws scripting, to get skilled at what needs to be made accessible. I just know that scripting is quite a time consuming process to learn.

What technology careers do most blind people commonly pursue? What has jaws scripting been able to make accessible? Where has it not been helpful? Is Jaws scripting essential, to have any successful career as a blind person? Have any of you been successful in your jobs, without being expert scripters? I feel a little concerned about all of this, because I wonder if I would have been able to have been 100% independent on my previous job, had I known scripting. Is it a panacea?

Thank you,
Mike

Lori Lynn

Mike,

It all depends on what type of job you are looking for and the size of the company. I worked for the Social Security Administration for 34 years before retiring. They had a department that was responsible for assistive technology testing as well as writing needed scripts to make it all work. I know absolutely nothing about scripting and was extremely successful in my various jobs with the agency.

If you want to learn scripting, then do it. But you can certainly go through life without knowing it.

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 2:39 AM

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Justin Williams

Unless you wuld like ot be a scripter, don't mess with it, at all. Good for
if you would like to work in the field as an accessibility engineer, or a
programmer of assistive technology, especially JAWS, but for most of us, we
do our jobs and go through careers without having learned that.

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lori Lynn
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 10:14 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Mike,

It all depends on what type of job you are looking for and the size of the
company. I worked for the Social Security Administration for 34 years before
retiring. They had a department that was responsible for assistive
technology testing as well as writing needed scripts to make it all work. I
know absolutely nothing about scripting and was extremely successful in my
various jobs with the agency.

If you want to learn scripting, then do it. But you can certainly go through
life without knowing it.

Lori Lynn

Hello all,

As I conduct my job search, how important is learning jaws scripting? I know
very little about it. Can knowing it fix absolutely everything that is
inaccessible? Without knowing what job I will be accepted for, I feel lost
at where to start on learning jaws scripting, to get skilled at what needs
to be made accessible. I just know that scripting is quite a time consuming
process to learn.

What technology careers do most blind people commonly pursue? What has jaws
scripting been able to make accessible? Where has it not been helpful? Is
Jaws scripting essential, to have any successful career as a blind person?
Have any of you been successful in your jobs, without being expert
scripters? I feel a little concerned about all of this, because I wonder if
I would have been able to have been 100% independent on my previous job, had
I known scripting. Is it a panacea?

Thank you,
Mike

Michael Walker

Hi Lori,

I probably plan to stay in IT. What kind of work did you do for Social Security? How did you find that job? Now days, what websites would you research for job postings? What kind of IT work is most commonly performed by the blind community, that would present the least amount of accessibility issues?

Thank you,
Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 9:13 AM, Lori Lynn <grandma.lori@hotmail.com> wrote:

Mike,

It all depends on what type of job you are looking for and the size of the company. I worked for the Social Security Administration for 34 years before retiring. They had a department that was responsible for assistive technology testing as well as writing needed scripts to make it all work. I know absolutely nothing about scripting and was extremely successful in my various jobs with the agency.

If you want to learn scripting, then do it. But you can certainly go through life without knowing it.

Lori Lynn

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Hi Mike,

I have not done any JAWS scripting and have been working in the IT field as a programmer, systems analyst and now DBA for more years than I care to count. I'm not sure which websites are the best place to hunt for jobs these days as I haven't looked for about 15 years.

I have found most things that I have needed to use for my jobs over the years have been fairly accessible, but I'm sure it depends on the kind of job you are wanting. In situations where something has not been accessible, there is usually an alternative way of accomplishing the same thing.

Good luck to you. I know the job hunting process can be frustrating, but in my opinion, I would not concentrate on heavily learning JAWS scripting without first knowing what you might need it for.

Pam

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 11:11 AM

Hi Lori,

I probably plan to stay in IT. What kind of work did you do for Social Security? How did you find that job? Now days, what websites would you research for job postings? What kind of IT work is most commonly performed by the blind community, that would present the least amount of accessibility issues?

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Lori Lynn

I worked in customer service and then HR. I'm not an IT person at all. You need to start by looking at what your skills are first before you start looking for a job. Your education, training, prior work experience, etc. Good luck.

Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 10:11 AM

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael
Walker

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Maria Campbell

I had a job scripter come to my job when new equipment was instituted.  As for me, I tried a scripting course and didn't get out of the first session.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke

On 10/8/2021 11:40 AM, Lori Lynn wrote:
I worked in customer service and then HR. I'm not an IT person at all. You need to start by looking at what your skills are first before you start looking for a job. Your education, training, prior work experience, etc. Good luck.

Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 10:11 AM

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Walker

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Michael Walker

Hi Pam,

What was your job like as a Systems Analyst?

To the rest of you who have responded, thank you. I’ll probably continue by checking websites like indeed.com for my skills.

Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 10:33 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I have not done any JAWS scripting and have been working in the IT field as a programmer, systems analyst and now DBA for more years than I care to count. I'm not sure which websites are the best place to hunt for jobs these days as I haven't looked for about 15 years.

I have found most things that I have needed to use for my jobs over the years have been fairly accessible, but I'm sure it depends on the kind of job you are wanting. In situations where something has not been accessible, there is usually an alternative way of accomplishing the same thing.

Good luck to you. I know the job hunting process can be frustrating, but in my opinion, I would not concentrate on heavily learning JAWS scripting without first knowing what you might need it for.

Pam

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker via groups.io

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I have been a Jaws user since the days of Microsoft DOS in 1989 and after getting a business degree from the University of Calgary opened a retail business which I have now had for over 20 years.
I am not able to write scripts, sometimes I thought it might be handy to know how to do this, but just as with many things there is a difference between knowing how to write some scripts and being really good at it. People like Brian Hartgen in the UK, Doug Lee in the US and many others who are experts in writing scripts are doing this basically as part of what they do, they are not lawyers or even IT specialists of some sort who know how to write scripts or anything like that. You can do a lot with scripts, but you can't do everything with scripts so in my opinion if you plan to work in a particular field then be the best at what it is you choose to do and don't worry too much about being able to write Jaws scripts. We have a saying in Germany, it is something like "You can't dance at two weedings at the same time" meaning focus on what you do and be good at it. If currently you are not studying or working and you have the time to learn scripting them by all means go for it, it certainly won't hurt, but don't sweat it if you don't know how to write scripts, that is why there are people who are real experts and can do it for you.

Sent: October 8, 2021 12:39 AM

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Mike, maybe share a bit more about your preferences for a job, have you gone to college or University for any training? I think most jobs nowadays whether its for the government or the private sector will look at your academic credentials so unless you have already completed your post secondary education, deciding what you want to do and going to College or University would be the first step.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND
Sent: October 8, 2021 8:33 AM

Hi Mike,

Pam

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Walker

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Van Lant, Robin

I think you are asking good questions, Mike. I do not have the bandwidth to learn scripting, but I would appreciate a webinar or something that explains the questions you ask. I honestly don't know what issues I face at work could be solved by scripting and it hasn't been on my radar to ask this question. Knowing enough to be able to discern if scripting would solve an issue would be a smart thing to know.

Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 1:39 AM

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Yes, Robin, I think that is a very good point. I think I have only heard about JAWS scripts being used in jobs like customer service at banks, and call centers, but I do think it would be good to know in what kinds of situations they might be useful.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 2:16 PM

I think you are asking good questions, Mike. I do not have the bandwidth to learn scripting, but I would appreciate a webinar or something that explains the questions you ask. I honestly don't know what issues I face at work could be solved by scripting and it hasn't been on my radar to ask this question. Knowing enough to be able to discern if scripting would solve an issue would be a smart thing to know.

Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 1:39 AM

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association ("KeyBank N.A."). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Hi Mike,

It involved a lot of one-on-one work with end users, which I really enjoyed. I always brought a laptop with me to meetings to take notes. The main issue I had with that job was their use of diagrams, which obviously presented a problem for me. Generally, though, I could get the same description of what was being shown in the picture for visually oriented people, so it didn't end up being a major issue.

Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 12:54 PM

Hi Pam,

To the rest of you who have responded, thank you. I’ll probably continue by checking websites like indeed.com for my skills.

Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 10:33 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Pam

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Mike,

I haven't looked for a job in several years; however, like you, I will be
entering the game seeking employment after I complete my course work at
Capella University. Through the university's disability services, where
there is a joint venture with the federal government to match industry
recruiters with students with disabilities; of which can make it a little
bit easier to find employment. But to your question of learning JAWS
scripting; of which, I think is a job, does not really apply. You know what
your skillsets are and if the organization needs your skills, they will hire
you. Additionally, the fact that you showed up for the interview brings
awareness of people who are qualified for a job; of which, they could be
lacking accommodative measures; thereby, making your presence reason for
change. And if you are hired, you'll be amazed the lengths the employer and
your co-workers will do to make your job more accommodative. In a sense, you
become a "poster boy." Of which, add to their marketing strategy.
Furthermore, by asking if JAWS scripting is necessary for employment, is
only diminishing the value of your current skillset. Like I said, if you're
good, and they need what you bring to the table, they will hire you.

Henry

Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 3:39 AM

Hello all,

As I conduct my job search, how important is learning jaws scripting? I know
very little about it. Can knowing it fix absolutely everything that is
inaccessible? Without knowing what job I will be accepted for, I feel lost
at where to start on learning jaws scripting, to get skilled at what needs
to be made accessible. I just know that scripting is quite a time consuming
process to learn.

What technology careers do most blind people commonly pursue? What has jaws
scripting been able to make accessible? Where has it not been helpful? Is
Jaws scripting essential, to have any successful career as a blind person?
Have any of you been successful in your jobs, without being expert
scripters? I feel a little concerned about all of this, because I wonder if
I would have been able to have been 100% independent on my previous job, had
I known scripting. Is it a panacea?

Thank you,
Mike

Phillip Gross

Hi, Mike. I don’t know how to script. I’ve considered learning it, but I’ve never gotten around to it. 

I’ve only had accessibility issues on the job where scripting was considered one time. At that time the company was perfectly willing to pay for it. If you think about it, they already purchased JAWS. They had made an investment in me, so they wanted to make it pay off. Unfortunately, after speaking to, at the time Freedom Scientific, they discovered that scripting wouldn’t help. There was no way to make this proprietary software accessible. 

As far as job sites, I would start with LinkedIn and Indeed if I were you. If you want remote jobs, look at Flex Jobs. There is a small monthly charge to use, but, in my opinion, it’s worth it.

Phillip Gross

I should have added that that was the only company I’ve worked for who purchased JFW. Before that, I worked for extremely small companies and used my own copy of JAWS if not my own computer. I am looking for a job currently.

Michael Walker

Hello all,

Thanks again for the variety of responses. To answer some of the questions: I got my bachelors degree in information systems. I worked as a programmer analyst for six years.

It’s really helpful to hear from those of you who still found job success without knowing scripting. I would still be willing to learn some basic scripting, as it became helpful, but it’s definitely not something I know much about. I realize it takes a lot of time, to become an expert. What made me think of this question was a podcast that I listened to through the American Council of the Blind. Someone was talking about their success as a customer service person. They said that they had to learn to script their screen reader, which they did in the evening, so they could have success on the job. I found that a little overwhelming, because I thought oh no, I don’t know anything about scripting. I didn’t use scripting in my previous job as a programmer. I used the command line and visual studio a lot. I also used a Clips.

To the person who said they would use indeed and LinkedIn for the job search, I am on those sites. You can also look for remote work opportunities on those sites, by putting the keyword remote in the search on indeed for example.

Pam, what technologies did you work with as a programmer analyst?

Thank you,
Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 1:49 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

It involved a lot of one-on-one work with end users, which I really enjoyed. I always brought a laptop with me to meetings to take notes. The main issue I had with that job was their use of diagrams, which obviously presented a problem for me. Generally, though, I could get the same description of what was being shown in the picture for visually oriented people, so it didn't end up being a major issue.

Hi Pam,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Pam

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Well, my programmer/analyst days were many years ago, so the technology has changed a good bit since then. Since 1990, I have been a database administrator. I mostly have used the command line on unix and linux. In my old days of programmer/analyst work, that was mostly on mainframes. You can tell what a dinosaur I am!

In my DBA work, I mainly use the command line, and Oracle Enterprise Manager, which is surprisingly accessible. I have not had success with getting SQL Developer to talk to me, so I have stuck to the command line.

I have been away from programming for a long time now, so I don't know anything about the accessibility of developer tools these days.

I have really found DBA work to be a good fit for me. Even though there are graphical tools for this work, most everything can also be done from a command line.

Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 4:34 PM

Hello all,

Thanks again for the variety of responses. To answer some of the questions: I got my bachelors degree in information systems. I worked as a programmer analyst for six years.

It’s really helpful to hear from those of you who still found job success without knowing scripting. I would still be willing to learn some basic scripting, as it became helpful, but it’s definitely not something I know much about. I realize it takes a lot of time, to become an expert. What made me think of this question was a podcast that I listened to through the American Council of the Blind. Someone was talking about their success as a customer service person. They said that they had to learn to script their screen reader, which they did in the evening, so they could have success on the job. I found that a little overwhelming, because I thought oh no, I don’t know anything about scripting. I didn’t use scripting in my previous job as a programmer. I used the command line and visual studio a lot. I also used a Clips.

To the person who said they would use indeed and LinkedIn for the job search, I am on those sites. You can also look for remote work opportunities on those sites, by putting the keyword remote in the search on indeed for example.

Thank you,
Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 1:49 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Hi Pam,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Pam

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Justin Williams

That person is one in a million who could and would do that.

The company wasn't following WACG accessibility guidelines, because a regular CSR employee shouldn't have to do that. Most don't have that knowledge, and sighted employees don't do that.

That is great that this individual can do that, but that is way out of the norm, and an unnecessary to work as a customer service rep.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Walker
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 4:34 PM

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Walker via groups.io

Hi Pam,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Pam

Walker via groups.io

Hi Lori,

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,

Lori Lynn

Walker

Hello all,

Thank you,
Mike