moderated JAWS not speaking file names in document folders all of a sudden

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Bill White

Hi, Cynthia. First, have you tried rebooting the computer, or at least, quitting JAWS and restarting it? I have the latest JAWS version, and am not having this problem. If restarting JAWS doesn't work, try doing a JAWS repair by running the JAWS installer for the latest version of JAWS. I will post a link to that version below.

JAWS 2021.2107.12    - July 2021

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

I did try rebooting both documents and the laptop. I do have this version of JAWS, so are you saying I need to install it again?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Can you explain exactly what you do so some of us can reproduce your steps?

I did try rebooting both documents and the laptop. I do have this version of JAWS, so are you saying I need to install it again?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

When I go into file explorer, it reads my frequently used folders and recent we used folders and documents fine. When I click on documents to go into my larger list of folders, it doesn’t read any of them all of a sudden.

On Sep 3, 2021, at 3:40 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

Can you explain exactly what you do so some of us can reproduce your steps?

I did try rebooting both documents and the laptop. I do have this version of JAWS, so are you saying I need to install it again?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

Open your recycle bin and see if the files you aren't seeing in Documents are in there. Itt sounds like they got moved .

On 9/3/2021 11:54 AM, Cynthia Bruce wrote:
When I go into file explorer, it reads my frequently used folders and recent we used folders and documents fine. When I click on documents to go into my larger list of folders, it doesn’t read any of them all of a sudden.

On Sep 3, 2021, at 3:40 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

Can you explain exactly what you do so some of us can reproduce your steps?

I did try rebooting both documents and the laptop. I do have this version of JAWS, so are you saying I need to install it again?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Kevin Minor

Hy Cynthia.

Try going into other folders and see if you have the same problem. I was having weird problems with Windows a few weeks ago. The only thing that I did that was different that seemed to fix my problem was completely shut down my computer so it turned off. It was off for about an hour. When I started it, things seemed to work better.

Hope you get this working.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

When I go into file explorer, it reads my frequently used folders and recent we used folders and documents fine. When I click on documents to go into my larger list of folders, it doesn’t read any of them all of a sudden.

On Sep 3, 2021, at 3:40 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

Can you explain exactly what you do so some of us can reproduce your steps?

I did try rebooting both documents and the laptop. I do have this version of JAWS, so are you saying I need to install it again?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Bill White

You run the install program, but instead of installing, the install program does a repair on the JAWS you already have. It will show a "repair" button, and it will act like it is installing, but it is actually repairing your JAWS.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I did try rebooting both documents and the laptop. I do have this version of JAWS, so are you saying I need to install it again?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Bill White

Hi, Cynthia. Maybe your Documents folder got changed from Details View to Tiles View. Before you do anything too radical, try this,

1. Open your Documents folder.

2. Press and hold CTRL + SHIFT.

3. While CTRL + SHIFT are held down, Press the number six on the numbers row, not the number key pad.

4. See if the up and down arrows read the files in Documents now. If they do, your documents were laid out horizontally, instead of vertically, and that's why they wouldn't read.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

When I go into file explorer, it reads my frequently used folders and recent we used folders and documents fine. When I click on documents to go into my larger list of folders, it doesn’t read any of them all of a sudden.

On Sep 3, 2021, at 3:40 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

Can you explain exactly what you do so some of us can reproduce your steps?

I did try rebooting both documents and the laptop. I do have this version of JAWS, so are you saying I need to install it again?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am running what I think is the most recent version of JAWS 2021 and windows 10. This just happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

So, it seems that if I am not in full screen mode this problem is happening. Is there a key stroke to change this? This seems to be a new problem.

[...]

Hi, Cynthia. Unless you are in a browser or other program, there should not be a full screen mode. The closest thing to this when navigating inside a folder with Windows File Explorer is to maximize the screen with ALT plus Space Bar, followed by X.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...