Topics

JAWS Not Reading Controls

Scott Pearl

I have a friend who is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2020 and whenever a User Account Control dialogue box opens, it does not read anything to her. She tab and shift tabs and presumably there should be a Yes and a No button on whether she wants to make any changes but it is silent. I’m using Windows 7 with JAWS 2020 and am not having the issue. Is anyone else having this issue and do you know what may be causing it?

Scott Pearl

Instructor of Braille and Assistive Technology

Idaho Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

341 W. Washington St.

Boise ID 83720-0012

208-639-8396

spearl@...

Andrew Law

I would first check that JAWS is set to “use on the lock screen”. Otherwise, when the UAC pops up, just press the left arrow once and then press enter.

Or you can change the User account control settings to stop it from coming up in the first place.

Andrew Law

ACATS Trainer

Blind Low Vision NZ

P: 079296210 ext: 5310 | M: +64278084124 | E: alaw@...

160 Seventeenth Avenue, Tauranga South

Tauranga 3112

Our Vision, Your Future: Read our Strategic Plan 2020-2024

I have a friend who is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2020 and whenever a User Account Control dialogue box opens, it does not read anything to her. She tab and shift tabs and presumably there should be a Yes and a No button on whether she wants to make any changes but it is silent. I’m using Windows 7 with JAWS 2020 and am not having the issue. Is anyone else having this issue and do you know what may be causing it?

Scott Pearl

Instructor of Braille and Assistive Technology

Idaho Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

341 W. Washington St.

Boise ID 83720-0012

208-639-8396

spearl@...

Privacy Disclaimer: This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.

Bill White

How do you make sure JAWS is set to “use on the lock screen”.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi, Andrew. When you wrote:

I would first check that JAWS is set to “use on the lock screen”.

Did you actually mean:

I would first check that JAWS is set to “use on the login screen”?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Mario

when she knows that the UAC comes up, she can right arrow and press the space bar.
some say it is more of a pain to deal with, but I would recommend not to disable or lower the level of protection the UAC provides.