Topics

moderated JAWS is silant when there is a date in a line of text.

Marty Hutchings

I am using JAWS 2019, Windows 7 and office 2007 and Windows Live Mail.  Each time that I type a date like March 22 in a word document or an email, JAWS will not read anything in that line of text where the date is.  It doesn't say anything at all.  This has been happening for a while, it even happened with JAWS 18.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Mike B

Hi Marty,

Have you tried changing the speech / sound scheme to see if it'll help?  Press, Insert, Alt + S, and the current scheme will be highlighted, try changing to, Classic, if it isn't already to see if it'll help.  In Word, try the, Word Classic, scheme.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2020 11:35 AM
Subject: JAWS is silant when there is a date in a line of text.

I am using JAWS 2019, Windows 7 and office 2007 and Windows Live Mail.  Each time that I type a date like March 22 in a word document or an email, JAWS will not read anything in that line of text where the date is.  It doesn't say anything at all.  This has been happening for a while, it even happened with JAWS 18.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Jessica D

Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue when navigating in excel. 
When I use up and down arrrow to navigate, if the cell is blank, jaws is 100% silent. 
How can I fix this? 
Using office 365, windows 10 and jaws 2020, latest update 

Thanks,
Jessica

On Mar 10, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Hi Marty,

Have you tried changing the speech / sound scheme to see if it'll help?  Press, Insert, Alt + S, and the current scheme will be highlighted, try changing to, Classic, if it isn't already to see if it'll help.  In Word, try the, Word Classic, scheme.

Mike B

Hi Jessica,

This is an unrelated issue in regards to the original question.  To get your best answers start a new thread with a different subject line regarding your issue.  This way someone with Excel experience will see your post.  Use a subject line something like,

Jaws Not Reporting Blank on Empty Cells

or something like that.

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS is silant when there is a date in a line of text.

Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue when navigating in excel. 
When I use up and down arrrow to navigate, if the cell is blank, jaws is 100% silent. 
How can I fix this? 
Using office 365, windows 10 and jaws 2020, latest update 

Thanks,
Jessica

On Mar 10, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Hi Marty,

Mike B

Here's another thought / guess.  Did you make any changes to the Jaws default dictionary in Jaws18 that might cause this problem?  If you did something to the JFD in Jaws18, that would have carried over to Jaws2019 if you imported your settings from J18 to J2019.

Marty Hutchings

Mike,  I opened up an email that I had sent out that had a date in a line that JAWS was not reading.  I then pressed the JAWS key and Space bar and Z.  A second later, JAWS was reading the missing line of text.  Now, how do I figure out which custom setting is causing the problem? Weird!

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: JAWS is silent when there is a date in a line of text.

Here's another thought / guess.  Did you make any changes to the Jaws default dictionary in Jaws 18 that might cause this problem?  If you did something to the JFD in Jaws18, that would have carried over to Jaws2019 if you imported your settings from J18 to J2019.

Mike B

Try holding down the, Insert key, and tapping the, Z key, twice quickly.  You want to hear, the Jaws cursor will be turned on for all applications  If you hear that the Jaws cursor will be turned off for all applications, do this keystroke again until it's reported turned on for all applications.  Let the list know what happens. It might be tricky, but I think we're closing in on the bugger!  LOL 

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 9:44 PM

Mike,  I opened up an email that I had sent out that had a date in a line that JAWS was not reading.  I then pressed the JAWS key and Space bar and Z.  A second later, JAWS was reading the missing line of text.  Now, how do I figure out which custom setting is causing the problem? Weird!

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Here's another thought / guess.  Did you make any changes to the Jaws default dictionary in Jaws 18 that might cause this problem?  If you did something to the JFD in Jaws18, that would have carried over to Jaws2019 if you imported your settings from J18 to J2019.

Mike B

Marty,

I guess the way to start is by removing modified settings files from the ENU folder 1 at a time until you you find the 1 causing the problem.  Then open that file to see if you can pinpoint the particular setting within the file.  Don't delete the files you take out of the ENU folder just cut them out and save them somewhere you can access them.

Love in Christ
Marty

Richard

How about using the manage applications settings from within Jaws?

HTH,
Rick

To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 8:11 AM

Marty,

I guess the way to start is by removing modified settings files from the ENU
folder 1 at a time until you you find the 1 causing the problem. Then open
that file to see if you can pinpoint the particular setting within the file.
Don't delete the files you take out of the ENU folder just cut them out and
save them somewhere you can access them.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers!

To: main@jfw.groups.io

Mike, I opened up an email that I had sent out that had a date in a line
that JAWS was not reading. I then pressed the JAWS key and Space bar and Z.
A second later, JAWS was reading the missing line of text. Now, how do I
figure out which custom setting is causing the problem? Weird!

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers,
against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the
spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Here's another thought / guess. Did you make any changes to the Jaws
default dictionary in Jaws 18 that might cause this problem? If you did
something to the JFD in Jaws18, that would have carried over to Jaws2019 if
you imported your settings from J18 to J2019.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers!

I am using JAWS 2019, Windows 7 and office 2007 and Windows Live Mail. Each
time that I type a date like March 22 in a word document or an email, JAWS
will not read anything in that line of text where the date is. It doesn't
say anything at all. This has been happening for a while, it even happened
with JAWS 18. Has anyone else experienced this?