moderated Jaws interprets spacing wrongly in text editor

Andrew James Bontrager

A new version of my preferred text editor, Ted Note Pad, has been released. You can download a portable copy here.
When navigating by character, though, Jaws thinks spaces are some sort of newline character. If you write with keyboard echo set to characters, Jaws announces SPACE when you hit the spacebar, but braille shows an abnormally big space between words, and when navigating the file with Jaws, spaces are announced as "blank".
Is there a way to force Jaws to recognize these as proper space characters? NVDA does. I'm using Jaws 2017, so if your version is newer, please let me know if it can understand these spaces.