Topics

moderated JAWS getting sluggish/cutting out?

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

I am not exactly sure how to describe this, but I will give it a go. I am running Windows 10 and JAWS 2021 – the issue isn’t specific to any program. It seems that after I have been working for a while on my laptop – for the morning – JAWS starts to get a bit sluggish by times. It is slow to respond when I press a key, and it is kind of intermittent. I also notice, at the same time that the sound is less sharp – I’m really not sure if that is at all helpful.

If I shut down and restart it seems to go away until a few hours later.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Cynthia. This is not a fix for the problem, but it is a less radical method of restoring JAWS to better performance.

Rather than shutting down the computer,

1. Press JAWS key plus F4, and if you are asked if you want to quit JAWS, click Yes.

2. Restart JAWS by either going to the desktop and pressing the letter J, or open the "run" dialog with Windows key plus the letter R, and type JAWS2021 and press ENTER.

This will allow you to get JAWS working again without having to leave any tasks you may be performing.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 11:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS getting sluggish/cutting out?

Hi All,

I am not exactly sure how to describe this, but I will give it a go. I am running Windows 10 and JAWS 2021 – the issue isn’t specific to any program. It seems that after I have been working for a while on my laptop – for the morning – JAWS starts to get a bit sluggish by times. It is slow to respond when I press a key, and it is kind of intermittent. I also notice, at the same time that the sound is less sharp – I’m really not sure if that is at all helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Dan Longmore

Hi,

Wondering if this may be an issue with your laptop that is affecting JAWS performance?

Some areas to consider:

How much memory do you have and does your ongoing work consume much of the memory?

Not often but at times the computer will not clear a program from memory even after it, the program, is closed.  Your re start of the computer fixes this issue.

Is your laptop being cooled adequately??

Laptops, especially newer, will slow the cpu if temperatures rise. (Thermo throttling )

Thus the performance of JAWS and other programs may be compromised.

Your issue may indeed be JAWS related however just a couple other ideas.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 2:15 PM

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

Hi Dan,

I do worry about whether it is cooling enough, but I don’t know what to do about that.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: January 28, 2021 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: JAWS getting sluggish/cutting out?

Hi,

Wondering if this may be an issue with your laptop that is affecting JAWS performance?

Some areas to consider:

How much memory do you have and does your ongoing work consume much of the memory?

Not often but at times the computer will not clear a program from memory even after it, the program, is closed.  Your re start of the computer fixes this issue.

Laptops, especially newer, will slow the cpu if temperatures rise. (Thermo throttling )

Dan

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Adrian Spratt

Cynthia,

I have a similar experience with my PC using Win10 and JAWS 2021. The fastest way I’ve found to get JAWS going again is to bring up Narrator with control-Windows-key-enter. Narrator speaks, and so does JAWS. I close Narrator wit the same key sequence, and JAWS is once again off to the races.

I have no idea why this works, but when I posted about this behavior the last time, several people reported a similar experience.

When things get really bad, I revert to JAWS 2020.

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Michelle's Home Emails

hi everyone 

Yes I have a similar issue. if I loose focus with Jaws I do the following: 
Alt plus Tab and go to another window. 

If that does not work I use the run command Described earlier. 

sometimes I use norator that always wakes up the sleeping jaws. 
Michelle 

On 29 Jan 2021, at 6:15 am, Cynthia Bruce <cynthia.bruce@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Dan Longmore

Hi,

Not too much you can do except be sure you have laptop on good hard surface so that air vents have clearance.  Most times this is not the issue but I mention in case.  If the cooling fan is not running excessively you should be fine.

Like others this may indeed be a JAWS issue.  Openbook, a freedom product, also does slow downs.

Dan

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 5:37 PM

Hi Dan,

I do worry about whether it is cooling enough, but I don’t know what to do about that.

Hi,

Some areas to consider:

Dan

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Dave Durber

Synthia:

When you use the laptop, is the computer resting on a hard surface, such as a table, without a soft cloth or material, between the laptop and the table?

It is very important to ensure that the ventilation slotson the underside of the computer are not partially blocked or totally blocked.

When I use my laptop on my lap, I have a piece of laminated wood which was cut in such a way that when the laptop is resting on the piece of wood, there is about 3 inches of wood jutting out on either side of the laptop and 2 inches, jut out at the front and the back. The piece of wood, is between half and 3 quarters of an inch thick.

Dave

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 10:37 PM

Hi Dan,

Hi,

Some areas to consider:

Dan

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

Thanks, Bill, this seems to be what fixes it. Turning Narrator on didn’t have much of an impact, and it doesn’t seem to be related to over heating.

Cynthia

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: January 28, 2021 3:29 PM

Hi, Cynthia. This is not a fix for the problem, but it is a less radical method of restoring JAWS to better performance.

1. Press JAWS key plus F4, and if you are asked if you want to quit JAWS, click Yes.

2. Restart JAWS by either going to the desktop and pressing the letter J, or open the "run" dialog with Windows key plus the letter R, and type JAWS2021 and press ENTER.

This will allow you to get JAWS working again without having to leave any tasks you may be performing.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

Hi Dave,

Yes, my laptop is on my desk with nothing under it or around it. Honestly, I don’t think this is the issue. When I came down this morning and started working, I had the problem quite soon after starting. I tried unloading and reloading JAWS, and that seemed to work.

Cynthia

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: January 30, 2021 1:14 PM

Synthia:

When you use the laptop, is the computer resting on a hard surface, such as a table, without a soft cloth or material, between the laptop and the table?

It is very important to ensure that the ventilation slotson the underside of the computer are not partially blocked or totally blocked.

When I use my laptop on my lap, I have a piece of laminated wood which was cut in such a way that when the laptop is resting on the piece of wood, there is about 3 inches of wood jutting out on either side of the laptop and 2 inches, jut out at the front and the back. The piece of wood, is between half and 3 quarters of an inch thick.

Dave

Hi Dan,

Hi,

Some areas to consider:

Dan

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Ann Byrne

Another thing to try is insert+windows+4. I hold it down a couple of seconds; JAWS goes silent; then it restarts itself.

At 11:42 AM 1/30/2021, you wrote:
Thanks, Bill, this seems to be what fixes it. Turning Narrator on didn’t have much of an impact, and it doesn’t seem to be related to over heating.

Cynthia

Bill White
<mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

From: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Ann. I like that method, too. The problem with this method, though, is
that, sometimes, JAWS doesn't restart itself. If it's going to work, it
usually always works. But on some computers, for whatever reason, when you
press JAWS key plus Windows key plus F4, JAWS quits, and stays gone.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 9:49 AM

Another thing to try is insert+windows+4. I hold
it down a couple of seconds; JAWS goes silent; then it restarts itself.
At 11:42 AM 1/30/2021, you wrote:
Thanks, Bill, this seems to be what fixes it.
Turning Narrator on didn't have much of an
impact, and it doesn't seem to be related to over heating.

Cynthia

Hi, Cynthia. This is not a fix for the problem,
but it is a less radical method of restoring JAWS to better performance.

1. Press JAWS key plus F4, and if you are asked
if you want to quit JAWS, click Yes.
2. Restart JAWS by either going to the desktop
and pressing the letter J, or open the "run"
dialog with Windows key plus the letter R, and type JAWS2021 and press
ENTER.

This will allow you to get JAWS working again
without having to leave any tasks you may be performing.

Bill White
<mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
[mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io

Hi All,

I am not exactly sure how to describe this, but
I will give it a go. I am running Windows 10 and
JAWS 2021 - the issue isn't specific to any
program. It seems that after I have been working
for a while on my laptop - for the morning -
JAWS starts to get a bit sluggish by times. It
is slow to respond when I press a key, and it is
kind of intermittent. I also notice, at the same
time that the sound is less sharp - I'm really
not sure if that is at all helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Dave Durber

Synthia:

When I installed Windows 10 last year, I was using JFW 2020. When I installed JFW 2021, all of a sudden, without logic or reason, my creative labs USB sound card was disconected by Windows 10 or, the driver stopped working. I thought I had installed Silenzio when I installed Windows 10 but, I had not. Since I installed Silenzio, The USB sound card has been working properly.

Dave

Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 5:45 PM

Hi Dave,

Yes, my laptop is on my desk with nothing under it or around it. Honestly, I don’t think this is the issue. When I came down this morning and started working, I had the problem quite soon after starting. I tried unloading and reloading JAWS, and that seemed to work.

Cynthia

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: January 30, 2021 1:14 PM

Synthia:

Dave

Hi Dan,

Hi,

Some areas to consider:

Dan

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cynthia