Topics

moderated Jaws & Excel column navigational key stroke problem

Shan Noyes

Hi all!

I’ve got a column of numbers in excel I’ve sorted them and some of  the numbers appear in numerous rows.  What I want to do is have the focus jump down to the next different number in the column.

I asked this question in September and got an answer.  But my notes are messed up,

So reaching out again for help.

The instruction I have are:

Ok, hold down the control and shift. Do not let go of theese 2 keys. Now while holding down these keys, hit down arrow, do not hold down the down arrow, just press it. wait a second, then hit the backspace key. The backspace key is normally above the enter key.

The person who had the answer was a Chris Block

So it would be greatly appreciated if you could write me directly because maybe it’s a timing issue.

Shan Noyes

Technical Analyst – Systems Security

GIAC

W: 306 777-4830

C: 306 533-1440

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

Van Lant, Robin

So glad you asked about this again, as I needed to refresh my memory, too.  Such a great keystroke.  I’ve copied your notes and edited them:

First select the cells in the column that you want to explore.  With your focus in the top most cell of the appropriate column, hold down the control and shift keys, and hit down arrow once to select the range of cellsI also like using Control spacebar to select the entire column.

Now, holding the control and shift keys, press the backslash key – the one just above the Enter key.  Each time you press it, it will move focus within your select range to the next different value.  You can use Insert up arrow to read the cell value to see if it’s what you want without unselecting the entire range.

Robin

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114