moderated Jaws Dictionary annoyance

David Griffith

There is a constant dictionary annoyance  which I find with Jaws.

So for example Eloquence on Jaws  will mis-pronounce a name like Shostakovic. I amended this in my Jaws dictionary tonight to Shosta co vic to make it approximate to something like the correct pronunciation

.

However in practice this is not enough, because if Shostakovic is followed by a full stop. A comma, a colon then the    amended pronunciation will not work for me. This means that for every word I want to put in the Jaws dictionary has to be entered at least 4 time.

The first time without any punctuation, the next 3 times with a full stop, a comma, and a colon.

Depending on what I am trying to read I sometimes have to add the word 6  times to the dictionary because you have to also include version of the word with a question mark and exclamation mark and so on.

I assume that there is nothing I can do to avoid this annoyance at this time but surely it is not too great a coding challenge for VFO to make the Jaws pronunciation dictionary just a little more intelligent and smart and less dumb?

David Griffith

.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Soronel Haetir

This really isn't an issue that VFO can address, these decisions are
made deep in the synthesizer logic. The only thing the dictionary does
is that when certain text is encountered specified other text is fed
to the synthesizer in its place.

Trying to broaden that so that the program replaces near-miss text
with the dictionary entry would be fraught with error.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Glenn / Lenny

Good point.
David, which synth do you use?
Also, maybe it is your punctuation level settings that might be the issue.
I use Eloquence, and I use the default settings for punctuation, and I
haven't had to deal with the issues you have.
Glenn

[...]

I use Eloquence  with pronunciation  set to some.

As far as I can tell I don’t seem to have this problem  with for example Voiceover on the Mac so am puzzled as to why this should be an insurmountable technical challenge for VFO.

On 3/25/21, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

> There is a constant dictionary annoyance which I find with Jaws.

> So for example Eloquence on Jaws will mis-pronounce a name like

> Shostakovic. I amended this in my Jaws dictionary tonight to Shosta co vic

> to make it approximate to something like the correct pronunciation

> .

> However in practice this is not enough, because if Shostakovic is followed

> by a full stop. A comma, a colon then the amended pronunciation will not

> work for me. This means that for every word I want to put in the Jaws

> dictionary has to be entered at least 4 time.

> The first time without any punctuation, the next 3 times with a full stop,

> comma, and a colon.

> Depending on what I am trying to read I sometimes have to add the word 6

> times to the dictionary because you have to also include version of the

> word

> with a question mark and exclamation mark and so on.

> I assume that there is nothing I can do to avoid this annoyance at this

> time

> but surely it is not too great a coding challenge for VFO to make the Jaws

> pronunciation dictionary just a little more intelligent and smart and less

> dumb?

> David Griffith

> .

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

Soronel Haetir

soronel.haetir@...

Soronel Haetir

As I said, this is really not a VFO issue, it's a synthesizer issue,
and you should know that eloquence development stopped years ago.

Re. different results under Voiceover only if you were using the same
synthesizer (down to version) and got different behaviors depending on
which product was using it would I say that it is a synth client (i.e.
jaws) issue.

[...]

I am afraid this is just completely  wrong and misinformed.

It is perfectly possible to override synthetiser pronunciations – this is an explicit function in NVDA where you can apply restriction of pronunciations to a voice or all synthetisers.

For example I have just loaded NVDA and using an even  older  Sapi 4 version of eloquence, the one provided by Kurzweil, and made exactly the same dictionary  amendment to Shostakovic that I tried to make with the Jaws Dictionary earlier tonight.

Unlike Jaws I did not have to enter Shostakovic multiple time. I only entered it once  without any punctuation. NVDA is reading it correctly irrespective of any punctuation surrounding the term.

For good measure I then switched to 2 other Sapi 5 synthetisers with NVDA and again Shostakovic is again being pronounced correctly now with the change I made in the NVDA Speech Dictionary.

So again why if even NVDA can provide this basic functionality  cannot VFO.

David Griffith

.

--

Soronel Haetir

soronel.haetir@...

Mike B

Hi David,

I just put the name, Shostakovic, into my JDF exactly the way you did along with the replacement, and I then placed a question mark, colon, exclamation mark, a period, a comma and a semicolon after the name and they all read the same.  See below;

 Shostakovic.

Shostakovic:

Shostakovic,

Shostakovic?

Shostakovic!

Shostakovic;

Are you putting a space at the beginning or at the end of the name in either the actual or replacement field?  if so, do not!
Also, these are my other settings, Applies to language, All Languages, Speak replacement word using language, Default, and the case sensitive is not checked.
When you exit are you saving your changes?  When I close I use the, Control + S, keystroke then I press, Alt + F4.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Richard Turner

Are we talking about Shostakovich, the composer?

If so, the name was misspelled from the beginning.

Eloquence mispronounces it terribly, while Vocalizer Expressive does a fine job.

Eloquence says something like sha stack  a kov vich

But if it is spelled like this, Eloquence gets it pretty close:

Shaustahcoevvich

HTH,

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

[...]

Don Walls

Couldn’t David type Shostakovitch with an asterisk after the name?  Would that not cover any situation with space or punctuation following the name?

Don

[...]

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Mike. It should have been Shostakovich, if you are referring to the russian 20th century classical music composer.  His full name is Dmitri Shostakovich.  Cheers!

On 26/3/2021 9:21 am, Mike B wrote:

[...]

You are exactly right Richard.  Cheers!

On 26/3/2021 9:32 am, Richard Turner wrote:

[...]

I Jaffar,

Whether I use a correct spelling or David's incorrect sample in the actual word field, when putting the sample provided by David I get the same results.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

I understand.  I am just wondering if it is all due to eloquence or jaws itself.  Cheers!

On 26/3/2021 10:11 am, Mike B wrote:

[...]

Hi Jaffar,

I'm using Eloquence and not having the problems David is having.  He didn't state which version of Jaws he's running, I'm running J16, and Vispero changed the way they do the computer lingo BS in JAWS17 and forward.  So, if he says which Jaws version he's running I'll give the version he's running a try to see what happens.  However I believe it's an entry issue in either the Actual or Replacement, fields of the JDF.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

First of all, though this is a bit of a red herring, there is an inconsistency in the spelling of Shostakovich or Shostakovicc  on the web which I have found with my research. This is not a single agreed version. I am not sure which is correct or why the variation exists,  but I suspect it may be because of different anglicized interpretations of Russian Cyrillic script as happens from other translations from different alphabets.

but as with other names both exist so I want Jaws to pronounce each correctly.

Secondly I am using Jaws 21, I think February update but I have been aware of this annoyance for at least a while so probably extends back to Jaws 20 and 19 as well.

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi David,

This is where NVDA has the edge, because you can add a dictionary entry as whole word only, or any part of a word, or even a regular expression.  JAWS is not that clever.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

As in my previous message, this is incorrect. VFO just need to add the options for whole word, regular expression, etc. Just look at NVDA's dictionaries and see how much better they are.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
[...]

What rubbish. 😊 A synth can be made to say anything by a screen reader.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

--

Soronel Haetir

soronel.haetir@...

Steve Nutt

Sorry David, I wasn’t replying to you, but to Sorel.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

--

Soronel Haetir

soronel.haetir@...

Steve Nutt

This didn’t work for me either Mike, I get the same as David.  It probably is an Eloquence issue.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close