moderated JAWS cursor not being activated on laptop

Sameer

Dear List Friends,

I request your assistance in solving a strange problem faced by one of my students.

She is using a Windows 10 laptop with Windows updated to 2021H2 version & JAWS 2022 updated with the April 2022 update. For the past few days, she is unable to activate her JAWS cursor. When she presses the minus key on her laptop numpad, JAWS stays silent & does not activate the JAWS cursor.

We have uninstalled JAWS with all the user settings & made a fresh install of JAWS 2022. Since the problem continued, we tried uninstalling JAWS 2022 & installing JAWS 2021 but the same problem of JAWS cursor continued. We also verified that the JAWS versions were installed in desktop mode.

When JAWS is turned off, the minus key behaves normally. It also behaves normally with the latest version of NVDA.

Kindly guide me regarding how we can solve this problem as she needs to use a software at work requiring use of the JAWS cursor.

Thanking you all in advance for any & all assistance.

--

Regards
Sameer Latey

Glenn / Lenny

Maybe you could reassign that key to do what it is supposed to do.
That won't address why it is happening, but if reassigning that key to do
its intended function works, then maybe that is all that is needed.
Glenn

[...]

Joseph Machise

try calling FS

[...]

techsavi.shankar@...

Sameer,
I assume that, There may be an issue with the external keyboard.
So, please verify with the keystroke once with the insert plus left bracket to activate the jaws cursor.
If you are able to activate the jaws cursor the above keystroke works, then there may be an issue with the keyboard settings.
Also, try switching to u.s keyboard by pressing windows plus space and press Num pad minus key and see it works.

This email I d is used only for list subscriptions.
Thanks and regards.
Shankar.C
For offline comminucations please reach-out on below shared details.
Mobile/whatsapp: 7795927572.
Email: shankar.c@....
[...]

Dear Shankar,

The keyboard performs all other JAWS commands as expected. Also, when a sighted user uses the laptop, the minus key works without problem. When using NVDA, the key performs as expected. The problem is only when trying to activate the JAWS cursor.

I have asked my student to try assigning a seperate keystroke to activate the JAWS cursor & also send a mail to Freedom Scientific about this problem.

Regards
Sameer Latey