JAWS Beta Will Not Read E-Mail Messages

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

After I downloaded and installed the new JAWS Beta the other night I discovered that it wouldn’t read any e-mail messages.  It will tell me who each message is from, but after I open up each message and try to read the message body the text always appears to be blank.  How many of you have noticed this about the new JAWS Beta and what did you do about it?

Rick Miller

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

I think we need more information. Specifically, what email program are you using? I myself am running Outlook, and with one possible exception, it has been behaving flawlessly with the public beta of JAWS 2022.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

After I downloaded and installed the new JAWS Beta the other night I discovered that it wouldn’t read any e-mail messages.  It will tell me who each message is from, but after I open up each message and try to read the message body the text always appears to be blank.  How many of you have noticed this about the new JAWS Beta and what did you do about it?

Rick Miller

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

For those of us who use Outlook, I did learn that there is a legacy mode which (for beta 1 only) needs to be turned on. While in Outlook, Press INSERT+V to get into Quick settings. Search for legacy. Ensure that it is turned on. Now Outlook works like a champ.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Steven Hicks

No problem with that here.

I Have noticed that the reading of messages when moving up and down the inbox is much improved!

After I downloaded and installed the new JAWS Beta the other night I discovered that it wouldn’t read any e-mail messages.  It will tell me who each message is from, but after I open up each message and try to read the message body the text always appears to be blank.  How many of you have noticed this about the new JAWS Beta and what did you do about it?

Rick Miller

Rick Miller

Dear Curtis:

I am using Outlook, too, but the version I am using is old.  I am using Outlook 2010, although with the JAWS 2021 version it works beautifully, but it won’t work with the Beta version insofar as reading e-mails is concerned.

Rick Miller

I think we need more information. Specifically, what email program are you using? I myself am running Outlook, and with one possible exception, it has been behaving flawlessly with the public beta of JAWS 2022.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

After I downloaded and installed the new JAWS Beta the other night I discovered that it wouldn’t read any e-mail messages.  It will tell me who each message is from, but after I open up each message and try to read the message body the text always appears to be blank.  How many of you have noticed this about the new JAWS Beta and what did you do about it?

Rick Miller

Rick Miller

I’ll try it.

Rick Miller

For those of us who use Outlook, I did learn that there is a legacy mode which (for beta 1 only) needs to be turned on. While in Outlook, Press INSERT+V to get into Quick settings. Search for legacy. Ensure that it is turned on. Now Outlook works like a champ.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Rick Miller

Dear Curtis:

Legacy does not appear to be in JAWS 2010.  I did a search for it but nothing popped up.

Rick Miller

For those of us who use Outlook, I did learn that there is a legacy mode which (for beta 1 only) needs to be turned on. While in Outlook, Press INSERT+V to get into Quick settings. Search for legacy. Ensure that it is turned on. Now Outlook works like a champ.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Rick:

I assumed you were using the public beta of JAWS 2022. Am I not correct?

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Legacy does not appear to be in JAWS 2010.  I did a search for it but nothing popped up.

Rick Miller

For those of us who use Outlook, I did learn that there is a legacy mode which (for beta 1 only) needs to be turned on. While in Outlook, Press INSERT+V to get into Quick settings. Search for legacy. Ensure that it is turned on. Now Outlook works like a champ.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Rick Miller

Yes, Curtis.  That is correct.

Rick Miller

I assumed you were using the public beta of JAWS 2022. Am I not correct?

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Legacy does not appear to be in JAWS 2010.  I did a search for it but nothing popped up.

Rick Miller

For those of us who use Outlook, I did learn that there is a legacy mode which (for beta 1 only) needs to be turned on. While in Outlook, Press INSERT+V to get into Quick settings. Search for legacy. Ensure that it is turned on. Now Outlook works like a champ.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

So, when you are in Outlook, do you not find Legacy when pressing INSERT+V? Or am I making the wrong assumption about the email program you are using?

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

On Sep 23, 2021, at 9:29 PM, Rick Miller <rm1263@...> wrote:

Yes, Curtis.  That is correct.

Rick Miller

I assumed you were using the public beta of JAWS 2022. Am I not correct?

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Legacy does not appear to be in JAWS 2010.  I did a search for it but nothing popped up.

Rick Miller

For those of us who use Outlook, I did learn that there is a legacy mode which (for beta 1 only) needs to be turned on. While in Outlook, Press INSERT+V to get into Quick settings. Search for legacy. Ensure that it is turned on. Now Outlook works like a champ.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Rick Miller

That’s right, Curtis.  When I press Insert+V and then arrow down through the choices I do not find Legacy anywhere.  I also did what you said to do—after hitting Insert+V do a search for Legacy, but nothing is showing up.  The version of Outlook I am using is Outlook 2010.  I realize this is an old version, and I also realize it might be possible Legacy is not with it.  Maybe Legacy came on a more updated Outlook version.  I don’t know.

Rick Miller

I assumed you were using the public beta of JAWS 2022. Am I not correct?

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Legacy does not appear to be in JAWS 2010.  I did a search for it but nothing popped up.

Rick Miller

For those of us who use Outlook, I did learn that there is a legacy mode which (for beta 1 only) needs to be turned on. While in Outlook, Press INSERT+V to get into Quick settings. Search for legacy. Ensure that it is turned on. Now Outlook works like a champ.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Cohn, Jonathan

OUTLOOK 2010 should automattically be in legacy mode. Try pressing insert + q to verify.

[...]

Hello:

Now I understand. You are running Outlook 2010. This being the case, you should report the problem using the JAWS beta report form. I am aware that JAWS 2022 will no longer work with Windows 7, but so far, nothing is being said about older versions of Office. Apologies.

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong