moderated Jaws and Win 10 problem

tom x <ballistic719@...>

Hi,

A few weeks ago I came across a message reporting there was a problem with a Win 10 updater screwing numerous Jaws files but then never heard any more.

Was this a hoax or did the problem get fixed?

Thanks

Tom

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 08:16 AM, tom x wrote:
Was this a hoax or did the problem get fixed?
-
I vote hoax, and small one, since it's not come up elsewhere.

Joseph,

            Thanks.  I hadn't even thought of that.  But since a workaround was given it was the "did it get fixed?" part of the original quesiton that threw me.  The only messages about this that I did see included the fix.

             I also didn't see this announcement as saying that Windows Update did anything, specifically, to JAWS files but that there was an issue with JAWS files "playing well" with Windows after the update.

             It was also one of those things where only some people experienced the issue, and those who did would know it, and those who didn't need not pay any attention.

As for the question of “was it fixed”, Microsoft and Vispero says it is fixed but I’d put some salt into it just in case it shows up again (the issue was traced to Microsoft Installer component).

Cheers,

Joseph

            Thanks.  I hadn't even thought of that.  But since a workaround was given it was the "did it get fixed?" part of the original quesiton that threw me.  The only messages about this that I did see included the fix.

             I also didn't see this announcement as saying that Windows Update did anything, specifically, to JAWS files but that there was an issue with JAWS files "playing well" with Windows after the update.

             It was also one of those things where only some people experienced the issue, and those who did would know it, and those who didn't need not pay any attention.

Norman Waddington

Brian,

I thought there was a Jaws update to fix it but I could be wrong.

Norman.

            Thanks.  I hadn't even thought of that.  But since a workaround was given it was the "did it get fixed?" part of the original quesiton that threw me.  The only messages about this that I did see included the fix.

             I also didn't see this announcement as saying that Windows Update did anything, specifically, to JAWS files but that there was an issue with JAWS files "playing well" with Windows after the update.

             It was also one of those things where only some people experienced the issue, and those who did would know it, and those who didn't need not pay any attention.

Curtis Chong

There is a JAWS update to fix this problem. Grab it as soon as you can.

Curtis

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 12:41 PM, Norman Waddington wrote:
I thought there was a Jaws update to fix it but I could be wrong.
-
Joseph has already indicated that Microsoft and Vispero have declared the issue fixed.  This was no surprise to me, as these sorts of issues tend to get top priority and, often, are fairly straightforward for the involved entities to fix.