Topics

moderated Jaws and web tables

Don H

OK I have a web page that has a table I am trying to read. It says in the Jaws documentation that control alt numpad 5 is supposed to read the table info. I find it does not. All I want is to be read the entire table of info using Jaws 2021 on a Win 10 20h2 system with either Google chrome or Edge.

Don Mauck

Is this different than in JAWS2020?

Regards:

Don Mauck | Senior Accessibility Evangelist | Accessibility Program Office | (APO)

Don.mauck@oracle.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and web tables

OK I have a web page that has a table I am trying to read. It says in the Jaws documentation that control alt numpad 5 is supposed to read the table info. I find it does not. All I want is to be read the entire table of info using Jaws 2021 on a Win 10 20h2 system with either Google chrome or Edge.

Don H

I am just learning to use jaws even though I have had it since the demise of Window Eyes. So far I would say that it is more difficult to get the info on a web page table than other screen readers I have used.

On 11/19/2020 3:37 PM, Don Mauck wrote:
Is this different than in JAWS2020?
Regards:
Don Mauck | Senior Accessibility Evangelist | Accessibility Program Office | (APO)
Don.mauck@oracle.com
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:08 PM

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello, 
Are you attempting to get all information about a table in one shot? Perhaps you can give an example of a site you often visit that is public, and what you would like to review. 
JAWS has smart table navigation and a dedicated table navigation mode along with features to change the table header information, from what is defined in the table. So JAWS can be very powerful with tables especially if you use a braille display.
Jonathan

Bill White

Hi, Don. The way I get JAWS to read an entire table is with JAWS key plus Down Arrow, which is "Say All".

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 12:08 PM

OK I have a web page that has a table I am trying to read. It says in
the Jaws documentation that control alt numpad 5 is supposed to read the
table info. I find it does not. All I want is to be read the entire
table of info using Jaws 2021 on a Win 10 20h2 system with either Google
chrome or Edge.

Ann Byrne

Alt-ctrl_5 reads the current cell, not the table.
Ctrl-Windows-comma reads the column.
Ctrl-windows-period reads the row.
Alt-ctrl and the arrow keys move from cell to cell--right, left, up, and down.
Alt-ctrl-end reads the last cell.
Alt-ctrl-home reads the first cell.
Alt-end reads the last cell in the row.
Alt-home reads the first cell in the row.

At 02:08 PM 11/19/2020, you wrote: