moderated jaws and vintage classic voices

Josh Kennedy

So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices like eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on here write to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices like l&h TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because decTalk seemed to be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s. DecTalk works with NVDA but the addon frequently breaks because of them always updating it once a year and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was in jaws well it would just work. Keynote gold multimedia tts is probablly out of the question but I think they could at least bring back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into jaws.

Josh

crayton Benner <craybay3198@...>

Hmmmmm. It’s possibly a thought maybe.

On Jun 16, 2022, at 10:23, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices like eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on here write to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices like l&h TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because decTalk seemed to be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s. DecTalk works with NVDA but the addon frequently breaks because of them always updating it once a year and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was in jaws well it would just work. Keynote gold multimedia tts is probablly out of the question but I think they could at least bring back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into jaws.

Josh

Glenn / Lenny

When is iPhone getting Eloquence?
That will be great!

So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices like
eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on here write
to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices like l&h
TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because decTalk seemed to
be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s. DecTalk works with NVDA but
the addon frequently breaks because of them always updating it once a year
and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was in jaws well it would just work. Keynote
gold multimedia tts is probablly out of the question but I think they could
at least bring back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into
jaws.

Josh

Justin Williams

Yes, I would like the iPhone to have the jaws voice.

Justin

So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices
like eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on
here write to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices
like l&h TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because
decTalk seemed to be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s.
DecTalk works with NVDA but the addon frequently breaks because of
them always updating it once a year and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was
in jaws well it would just work. Keynote gold multimedia tts is
probablly out of the question but I think they could at least bring
back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into jaws.

Josh

Soronel Haetir

Re.: The request for jaws to support SAPI4 voices.

Something to keep in mind is that many of these were only ever
available in 32-bit variants. They are simply not going to play nice
with a 64-bit jaws, no matter what FS might do.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Glenn / Lenny

I wonder how IOS is doing it?

So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices
like eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on
here write to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices
like l&h TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because
decTalk seemed to be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s.
DecTalk works with NVDA but the addon frequently breaks because of
them always updating it once a year and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was
in jaws well it would just work. Keynote gold multimedia tts is
probablly out of the question but I think they could at least bring
back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into jaws.

Josh

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Soronel Haetir

Well, as far as their supporting Eloquence, I suspect it's the same
way jaws does, by using an up-to-date build. That's a far different
thing from the classic SAPI voices, many of which no longer have
support of any kind.

[...]

Nobody that I am aware of developed Eloquence in Android beyond 32 bit
support.
I have Eloquence 32 bit for Android, but haven't used it beyond Android 6 or
7, so I don't know if it would work on more recent Androids.
Maybe there is a 64 bit of Eloquence for Android too.
Glenn

[...]

it works with android 12 and 13 and did on android 11 and earlier so
will still work

[...]

meow meow

is Eloquence sound better?

Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 9:07 AM

When is iPhone getting Eloquence?
That will be great!
So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices like eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on here write to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices like l&h TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because decTalk seemed to be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s. DecTalk works with NVDA but the addon frequently breaks because of them always updating it once a year and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was in jaws well it would just work. Keynote gold multimedia tts is probablly out of the question but I think they could at least bring back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into jaws.

Josh

crayton Benner <craybay3198@...>

No. It’s the same eloquence that has been around for years and years.

On Jun 16, 2022, at 18:23, meow meow <soberwater26q@...> wrote:

is Eloquence sound better?

Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 9:07 AM

When is iPhone getting Eloquence?
That will be great!
So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices like eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on here write to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices like l&h TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because decTalk seemed to be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s. DecTalk works with NVDA but the addon frequently breaks because of them always updating it once a year and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was in jaws well it would just work. Keynote gold multimedia tts is probablly out of the question but I think they could at least bring back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into jaws.

Josh

Glenn / Lenny

It is the TTS that Jaws uses by default.

So because iPhone will be getting many more vintage classic tts voices like eloquence and classic mac voices, why not jaws? Could everyone on here write to freedom scientific asking for the return of sapi4 voices like l&h TruVoice, and other sapi4 tts engines and decTalk, because decTalk seemed to be the most common tts back in the 80s and 90s. DecTalk works with NVDA but the addon frequently breaks because of them always updating it once a year and if decTalk 4.1 through 4.6 was in jaws well it would just work. Keynote gold multimedia tts is probablly out of the question but I think they could at least bring back sapi4 support and put a couple decTalk versions into jaws.

Josh

Josh Kennedy

all apple products will be getting eloquence in early to mid September when IOS16 comes out. I am testing a developer beta of IOS16 right now and eloquence is working great on my iPhone13, iPhone SE2020 and iPad 8th generation devices aside from some bugs that I already reported and that should be fixed when the full IOS16 is released officially in early fall.

Josh Kennedy

there is no 64bit eloquence for android, once android 13 comes out no more eloquence. but I just love eloquence on my iPhone, it is very responsive just like it is with jaws.

Josh Kennedy

I wonder if jaws could be scripted to work withh the decTalk dlls I already have?

Cornelius

Not all though. Some of the older products will not get iOS 16.

all apple products will be getting eloquence in early to mid September when IOS16 comes out. I am testing a developer beta of IOS16 right now and eloquence is working great on my iPhone13, iPhone SE2020 and iPad 8th generation devices aside from some bugs that I already reported and that should be fixed when the full IOS16 is released officially in early fall.

Cornelius

How about the IBM Veia voice? Will there be ways to make it work on JAWS?

I wonder if jaws could be scripted to work withh the decTalk dlls I already have?

JM Casey

If I understand right, anything that uses the SAPI5 protocol should be able to work with JAWS, but not any other random TTS. So if the developers of the voice make them SAPI5 compatible, sure. Otherwise, probably not..I doubt Freedom Scientific is going to put any effort into software synthss. I’m kind of surprised Eloquence still works, but evidently a lot of people still like and use it, as they should – it’s pretty reliable and solid.

How about the IBM Veia voice? Will there be ways to make it work on JAWS?

I wonder if jaws could be scripted to work withh the decTalk dlls I already have?

Glenn / Lenny

That is Eloquence, which is the default synth in Jaws.