Topics

JAWS and Plex Media Server

Blackwell, Clifford

I’m about to try to install Plex on a Wondows 7 desktop running j2019 or possibly j2020.  Does anyone have any experience installing and running a Plex Media Server with JAWS?

Steve Matzura

It can be installed and used, I just don't know how to use it. I have it installed here, but don't have the first idea of what to do with it.

On 11/5/2019 2:33 PM, Blackwell, Clifford wrote:

I’m about to try to install Plex on a Wondows 7 desktop running j2019 or possibly j2020.  Does anyone have any experience installing and running a Plex Media Server with JAWS?

Richard Turner

Reading about it on their web site and also about the iOS version in the app store, there are many features (not clearly specified) that are only available in the premium subscription.  The rates shown on the iOS app are $4.99 per month, or $39.99 per year or $149.99 for a lifetime Plex Pass.

One person said it takes forever to transfer files since it converts the format instead of using multiple formats.

They tried transferring a movie and many, many hours later it wasn’t finished.  He canceled that and manually copied it to OneDrive in 27 seconds.

Of course, that is copying to another place on the hard drive, but I know the sync time for OneDrive is very fast.

So, after reading about this with all of its promises, I think I will pass on this one.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

It can be installed and used, I just don't know how to use it. I have it installed here, but don't have the first idea of what to do with it.

On 11/5/2019 2:33 PM, Blackwell, Clifford wrote:

I’m about to try to install Plex on a Wondows 7 desktop running j2019 or possibly j2020.  Does anyone have any experience installing and running a Plex Media Server with JAWS?

Steve Matzura

Yes, I think you're right on that decision. I have it installed, think I'll uninstall it right now.

On 11/6/2019 9:15 AM, Richard Turner wrote:

[...]

Randy Barnett

I use plex on a freenas server at my home and you dont need to buy a plex pass to watch movies. the pass gets you music streaming and tv shows. We also have it set up at our Air B and B for the 2 guest units and have no issues with them watching movies off the house server.

On 11/6/2019 8:37 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

[...]

This is clearly off-topic, so if you'd care to take it private to number6@..., I understand.

So, I didn't uninstall, I have a smart television, what do I need to do in order to play media--MP4 and AVI--from my home network to the television using Plex?

On 11/8/2019 5:17 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I’d just like to throw a few things out there to clear the waters. Note that I literally got into Plex a few days ago.

You do not need a plex pass to listen to media on a mobile device. A one time fee of $4.99 will unlock it for that and future devices – this goes for the app store and google play store.

I’m not sure what said friend was doing, but it all depends on your upload speed. Obviously if you’re trying to sync a huge movie using your own internet connection it might not be as fast as copying it to one drive.

How are folks using plex on Windows with jaws? How do you find the experience? I should add here that I know you don’t need to pay anything if you’re going from computer to computer – and plex pass is far more than just letting you listen to your own content. It includes a streaming service similar to Netflix, hence the monthly $4.99. This is also clearly spelled out in the support articles.

I’m currently using it with Sonos (the music part) and for my needs it is working quite well. Your mileage may vary, of course, and it all depends on your needs, but I struggle to find something that is as open as this as far as streaming your own media from your home computer to just about any device on the planet that doesn’t involve some ridiculously complex setup. This seems to be a lot of set it and forget it, and the plex server software is web based and very useable with Jaws.

It can be installed and used, I just don't know how to use it. I have it installed here, but don't have the first idea of what to do with it.

On 11/5/2019 2:33 PM, Blackwell, Clifford wrote:

I’m about to try to install Plex on a Wondows 7 desktop running j2019 or possibly j2020.  Does anyone have any experience installing and running a Plex Media Server with JAWS?

Blackwell, Clifford

Thanks for this information.  I’m contemplating using Plex to access music from my computer with an Echo 3rd gen.  I was needing to know how accessible with JAWS Plex was for setting things up and configuring it so that I can access my music elsewhere in the house.

This sets my mind at ease.