Topics

moderated Jaws And Open Book

Pastor Gil Pries

I bought my Openbook program and really like it.

Pastor Gil

Mike B

Hi Pastor Gil,

Here's another option to use for scanning files.  I more often than not get better scans scanning this way.

How to scan files using a scanning device with the Jaws OCR feature.  Steps are below.  This will only work with JAWS2018 and newer.

1. Place whatever you want scanned with the OCR feature on your scanner.

2. Press the JAWS Key + Spacebar, then, O, for OCR, and press, A , for acquire.

3. Choose the scanner from the, Scanner & Camera combobox pop-up, tab to the, Acquire button, press the spacebar, and the scanner will scan the file using
the Jaws OCR feature.  It will then read it to you.  This is GREAT!
Note:  The shortcut keystroke to acquire is, Alt + Q.

To save the file you can export it to Excel or, after scanning select all the text with, Control + A, press, Control + C, to copy to the clipboard, then
paste the text, Control + V, into a text or Word
file and save.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 4:27 PM
Subject: Jaws And Open Book

Pastor Gil

Marty Hutchings

Mike,  Thanks for this.  I was not aware that this was possible.  When I tried to acquire a document, I got a message saying that there were no scanners or cameras available.  I have a HP Photo Smart all in 1 printer/scanner connected.  How do I get JAWS to recognize it?
Thanks.
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 11:44 PM
Subject: Re: Jaws And Open Book

Hi Pastor Gil,

Here's another option to use for scanning files.  I more often than not get better scans scanning this way.

How to scan files using a scanning device with the Jaws OCR feature.  Steps are below.  This will only work with JAWS2018 and newer.

3. Choose the scanner from the, Scanner & Camera combobox pop-up, tab to the, Acquire button, press the spacebar, and the scanner will scan the file using

To save the file you can export it to Excel or, after scanning select all the text with, Control + A, press, Control + C, to copy to the clipboard, then
file and save.

*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Pastor Gil

James Bentley

Thank you for this, Mike.

This seems to work better for scanning the outside of envelopes that I get in the mail than, the last version of OpenBook.

James B 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gil Pries

Thanks Mike.

Pastor Gil

Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020 9:44 PM

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Mike B

So, when you invoke the, Insert + spacebar, then press the letter, O , then pressing the letter, A , your HP scanner isn't in the scanner and camera list?  What does show in the list of options?  Have you tried using left & right arrow keys as well as the up and down arrow keys?

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 10:06 PM

Mike,  Thanks for this.  I was not aware that this was possible.  When I tried to acquire a document, I got a message saying that there were no scanners or cameras available.  I have a HP Photo Smart all in 1 printer/scanner connected.  How do I get JAWS to recognize it?
Thanks.
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Marty Hutchings

Mike, this is the message that I get.
“OCR failed to start.  No supported scanners or cameras available.”
There is no list to arrow through.
Thanks.
Marty

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 8:24 AM

So, when you invoke the, Insert + spacebar, then press the letter, O , then pressing the letter, A , your HP scanner isn't in the scanner and camera list?  What does show in the list of options?  Have you tried using left & right arrow keys as well as the up and down arrow keys?

Thanks.
Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

kevin meyers

I did the insert space bar, o, a and I got a list of scanners. One is Peral and the other one is wia-wsd scan device. That is the one for my HP2450 scanner/printer. Marty does your scanner work when you use Windows fax and scan? I know it will put it in to a file Jaws cannot read and I think this is a good way to make sure your scanner is working.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:32 PM

Thanks.

Marty

Thanks.

Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

David Griffith

Have you ensured that the Twain driver for your scanner is installed?
This is often needed for third party OCR when you are not using software which comes with the scanner.
You would need to consult your scanner settings/driver documentation for instructions to ensure a Twain interface is available for other software in Windows.
David Griffith

David Griffith

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: 02 June 2020 21:32

“OCR failed to start. No supported scanners or cameras available.”
Thanks.
Marty

To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

So, when you invoke the, Insert + spacebar, then press the letter, O , then pressing the letter, A , your HP scanner isn't in the scanner and camera list? What does show in the list of options? Have you tried using left & right arrow keys as well as the up and down arrow keys?

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.

Mike, Thanks for this. I was not aware that this was possible. When I tried to acquire a document, I got a message saying that there were no scanners or cameras available. I have a HP Photo Smart all in 1 printer/scanner connected. How do I get JAWS to recognize it?
Thanks.
Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

Here's another option to use for scanning files. I more often than not get better scans scanning this way.

How to scan files using a scanning device with the Jaws OCR feature. Steps are below. This will only work with JAWS2018 and newer.

3. Choose the scanner from the, Scanner & Camera combobox pop-up, tab to the, Acquire button, press the spacebar, and the scanner will scan the file using the Jaws OCR feature. It will then read it to you. This is GREAT!
Note: The shortcut keystroke to acquire is, Alt + Q.

To save the file you can export it to Excel or, after scanning select all the text with, Control + A, press, Control + C, to copy to the clipboard, then paste the text, Control + V, into a text or Word file and save.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.

Pastor Gil

Mike B

Hi Marty,

To be honest I've never run into this issue you've encountered.  Is your printer scanner set as the default?

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 1:32 PM

Thanks.
Marty

Thanks.
Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Richard Turner

Does this HP all in one has a Twain Driver or does it just use the HP software?

I’m not sure the Jaws Convenient OCR would see it if it has some other software that drives it.

You might want to check for a Twain driver.

Richard

"There's a nap for that." - an anonymous cat in a window in Portland, Oregon.

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 4:24 PM

Hi Marty,

To be honest I've never run into this issue you've encountered.  Is your printer scanner set as the default?

Thanks.

Marty

Thanks.

Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Marty Hutchings

It is my main printer that is used to print from Word.  It is a HP PhotoSmart 4200 printer/scanner.

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 6:23 PM

Hi Marty,

Thanks.
Marty

Thanks.
Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Marty Hutchings

Please remind me as to how to check that.  I am using Windows 7.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 6:36 PM

I’m not sure the Jaws Convenient OCR would see it if it has some other software that drives it.

Richard

Hi Marty,

Thanks.

Marty

Thanks.

Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Richard Turner

You would have to go through the device manager to check the driver.
Beyond that, I cannot help much.
Perhaps a call to Microsoft Accessibility or Freedom Scientific support?

Richard

Linus to Charlie Brown: "Worrying won't stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good."

Sent with the iPhone SE 2020
www.turner42.com

On Jun 2, 2020, at 6:19 PM, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:

Love in Christ
Marty

Richard

Hi Marty,

Thanks.

Marty

Thanks.

Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Mike B

I just checked my Windows 10 scanner, and after doing the keystroke to scan a document with Jaws OCR it took a couple of minutes for the list to populate and show the Epson Perfection WIA option.  When someone is referring to a, TWAIN driver, it's the, WIA driver option you will see in Openbook if OB were installed.
Below are what the acronym TWAIN supposedly stands for:
 TWAIN literally means a, Tool Without an Interesting Name, or technology without an interesting name.

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 6:18 PM

Love in Christ
Marty

Richard

Hi Marty,

Thanks.

Marty

Thanks.

Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Dan Longmore

Hi,

You had Twain right except that the “I” stands for Informative . 

Also, with the latest Windows 10 update the JAWS OCR may not work properly and a JAWS repair may be needed.  This happened to me and JAWS could not see the scanner even though OpenBook still detected the scanner. 

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:01 PM

I just checked my Windows 10 scanner, and after doing the keystroke to scan a document with Jaws OCR it took a couple of minutes for the list to populate and show the Epson Perfection WIA option.  When someone is referring to a, TWAIN driver, it's the, WIA driver option you will see in Openbook if OB were installed.

TWAIN literally means a, Tool Without an Interesting Name, or technology without an interesting name.

Love in Christ
Marty

Richard

Hi Marty,

Thanks.

Marty

Thanks.

Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil

Richard Turner

I did not need to do a Jaws repair.

I just went into my printer/scanner settings and opened the scanner properties and closed them again.

That must have been enough of a kick in the behind for it to be seen the next time I ran the Jaws OCR using my scanner.

Richard

Chickens: the pet that poops breakfast!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 9:42 AM

Hi,

You had Twain right except that the “I” stands for Informative . 

Also, with the latest Windows 10 update the JAWS OCR may not work properly and a JAWS repair may be needed.  This happened to me and JAWS could not see the scanner even though OpenBook still detected the scanner. 

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:01 PM

Love in Christ
Marty

Richard

Hi Marty,

Thanks.

Marty

Thanks.

Marty

Hi Pastor Gil,

file and save.

Pastor Gil