moderated Jaws and OCR?

Claudia

Hi All,

At work, I have Jaws 2020 with Windows 10, I believe.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

When I open PDF documents from the data bases we use, sometimes, I’m told that the document is empty. I am then asked if I want Jaws to use OCR for recognition.

I of course say yes, and things work beautifully.

How can I get this to work at home?

I have Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 but I don’t have Adobe Acrobat.

Will I need this to use Jaw’s OCR capabilities?

Thanks.

Claudia

Mario

I believe adobe acrobat/reader is not needed to use the convenient OCR feature. when focused on a PDF, just press the application key, arrow down to and enter on use Convenient OCR or similar. after the process is finished, you'll be able to navigate, select and copy text as if you were in a word processor.

At work, I have Jaws 2020 with Windows 10, I believe.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

When I open PDF documents from the data bases we use, sometimes, I’m
told that the document is empty. I am then asked if I want Jaws to use
OCR for recognition.

I of course say yes, and things work beautifully.

How can I get this to work at home?

I have Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 but I don’t have Adobe Acrobat.

Will I need this to use Jaw’s OCR capabilities?

Thanks.

Claudia

JM Casey

Adobe Acrobat Pro actually has its own oCR component and it probably does a better job than jAWS does (it is certainly better at dealing with larger files). Does the dialogue you see at work actually mention JAWS? Now I’m curious. My Adobe Pro at home is broken so I can’t really check – in any case now I have Abbyy Finereader which does the job quite nicely.

At work, I have Jaws 2020 with Windows 10, I believe.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

When I open PDF documents from the data bases we use, sometimes, I’m told that the document is empty. I am then asked if I want Jaws to use OCR for recognition.

I of course say yes, and things work beautifully.

How can I get this to work at home?

I have Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 but I don’t have Adobe Acrobat.

Will I need this to use Jaw’s OCR capabilities?

Thanks.

Claudia

betina vega

Hi:

I had no idea that adobe acrobat had an OCR feature. How do I use this?

Sincerely,
Betina Vega

[...]

Hey there.

I’m afraid it’s been  a few years now since I used it, so I can’t exactly tell you what steps to take. Plus, it was an old pre-DC version, so things may have changed since then. However a quick google search seems to suggest this is still something Acrobat Pro can do, so I would take a poke around and see what you find.

At work, I have Jaws 2020 with Windows 10, I believe.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

When I open PDF documents from the data bases we use, sometimes, I’m told that the document is empty. I am then asked if I want Jaws to use OCR for recognition.

I of course say yes, and things work beautifully.

How can I get this to work at home?

I have Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 but I don’t have Adobe Acrobat.

Will I need this to use Jaw’s OCR capabilities?

Thanks.

Claudia

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  Adobe can read a document aloud if you prefer this to your screen reader.  Also Adobe lets you set accessibility parameters each time you open a document or you can manage setting in the accessibility menu.

Adobe cannot read a scanned image and neither can JAWS unless you use OCR in JAWS.

Dan

At work, I have Jaws 2020 with Windows 10, I believe.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

When I open PDF documents from the data bases we use, sometimes, I’m told that the document is empty. I am then asked if I want Jaws to use OCR for recognition.

I of course say yes, and things work beautifully.

How can I get this to work at home?

I have Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 but I don’t have Adobe Acrobat.

Will I need this to use Jaw’s OCR capabilities?

Thanks.

Claudia

Steve Nutt

Yes, you will need Acrobat to open the file initially.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

At work, I have Jaws 2020 with Windows 10, I believe.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

When I open PDF documents from the data bases we use, sometimes, I’m told that the document is empty. I am then asked if I want Jaws to use OCR for recognition.

I of course say yes, and things work beautifully.

How can I get this to work at home?

I have Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 but I don’t have Adobe Acrobat.

Will I need this to use Jaw’s OCR capabilities?

Thanks.

Claudia

Debby Hill

Hi All,

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page:

Acrobat DC is the free version to read PDF files. It cannot do ocr on a file. If are using it and you get the “empty document) message you will need to use JAWS Convenient OCR. (If you decide to download Acrobat DC, be careful to uncheck the various boxes so that you don’t download something that you don’t want.)

Acrobat Pro is a paid version that can do ocr. It has been almost 6 years since I used it, so I can’t precisely remember how to get it to do OCR on an “empty document,” but it seems that it was pretty automatic.

You can use JAWS Convenient OCR on a file in file explorer or your documents without opening the file. Just use the application key or shift F10 and arrow down the list to find it. I think this will probably work whether or not you have Acrobat DC or Acrobat Pro on your machine, but I am not completely sure.

I hope that helps a bit.

Happy New Year!

Debby

At work, I have Jaws 2020 with Windows 10, I believe.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

When I open PDF documents from the data bases we use, sometimes, I’m told that the document is empty. I am then asked if I want Jaws to use OCR for recognition.

I of course say yes, and things work beautifully.

How can I get this to work at home?

I have Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 but I don’t have Adobe Acrobat.

Will I need this to use Jaw’s OCR capabilities?

Thanks.

Claudia

JM Casey

As said previously, Adobe Acrobat Pro will do oCR; looks like the free version will not, which makes sense.

[...]

Justin Williams

How do you work with ocr in Adobe?

Justin