Topics

Jaws and International Phonetic Alphabet

Leo

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to jaws to read IPA (international Phonetic Alphabet) symbols?

If this is possible, what settings do I need to modify?

This is useful for people learning foreign languages and I’ve been puzzled for long time now about how to make it work using a screen reader, so thanks for any further information.

--
Visit my blog:
https://blindbirdchronicles.wordpress.com

Do me a favor and inspire me...
Literophilus

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 01:08 PM, Lev wrote:
Is it possible to jaws to read IPA (international Phonetic Alphabet) symbols?
This is a serious question:   Read them how?  or  Read them as what?

Most IPA symbols do not, to my knowledge, have single-syllable names such as most letters do.   I can't conceive of what would be used for the IPA character to name for single character by character reading.  If you start getting into the diacritics it gets even messier.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

What exactly is meant by IPA? Does it refer to Jaws saying "bravo" for b?

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 01:08 PM, Lev wrote:

Is it possible to jaws to read IPA (international Phonetic Alphabet) symbols?

This is a serious question:   Read them how?  or  Read them as what?

Most IPA symbols do not, to my knowledge, have single-syllable names such as most letters do.   I can't conceive of what would be used for the IPA character to name for single character by character reading.  If you start getting into the diacritics it gets even messier.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

Nermin

Hi Sieghard,

no, that would be the military alphabet or, as you’d rather say in German, “Postalphabet”. IPA is the international phonetic alphabet, which uses symbols to represent the sounds used in different languages. Vowels, different phoneme combinations, etc., are represented visually for someone to be able to pronounce a word or sentence properly (Lautschrift).

As for the original question, here is a page trying to make JaWS cope with IPA, but I don’t know if it’s being maintained.
And another for Braille and IPA:

Regards,
Nermin

Nermin,

              There's nothing "new" nor that would be needing to be maintained at the Rice dot edu page and the instructions are quite thorough and specific.  Since it was written for JAWS 17, it's quite recent at that.  If this is what you're looking for then try those instructions.  The author also mentions having created a JBT file that's a companion to the text file for the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) symbols with Braile and to write him at the address he provides if you'd like that as well.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

Thanks, Nermin, now I learned something, "Postalphabet", I didn't know that one. I am german and speak it fluently, but I left there 29 years ago at the age of 22 so especially technology terms are sometimes more familiar to me in English than in German.

no, that would be the military alphabet or, as you’d rather say in German, “Postalphabet”. IPA is the international phonetic alphabet, which uses symbols to represent the sounds used in different languages. Vowels, different phoneme combinations, etc., are represented visually for someone to be able to pronounce a word or sentence properly (Lautschrift).

As for the original question, here is a page trying to make JaWS cope with IPA, but I don’t know if it’s being maintained.

And another for Braille and IPA:

Regards,

Nermin

Leo

Thank you Nermin, I'll see what I can find...

El 03/11/2018 a las 9:20, Sieghard Weitzel escribió:

[...]

The instructions given in the web page that Norman posted to have Jaws coping with IPA  symbols are spot-on.

I’m an EFL student, and I stumbled upon this page a couple of years ago, which helped me a lot.

By the way, if you happen to have the hexa code for any of the symbols used in broad and narrow phonetic transcriptions,

You can easily add them to the .sbl file as instructed in this web page.

Best,

     Leo Bado.