moderated JAWS And Excel Floating Menus

Mark Fisher

Hi All

Hope everyone had a great Easter break.

One for people who work with Excel tables.

After you've formatted data into a table i.e. pressed Ctrl+T to create a table, I'm having  issues with JAWS not reading contents for cells where Excel displays an icon next to the cell indicating a possible formula error.

Example 1 – (Icon appears on the right hand side of the cell).

Undo Calculated Column
Stop Automatically Creating Calculated Columns
Control AutoCorrect Options...

Example 2 (Icon appears on the left hand side of the cell)

Action: On Object Control
split button
Context Menu‑
Update Formula to Include Cells
Help on this Error
Ignore Error
Edit in Formula Bar
Error Checking Options...

When these icons appear, JAWS will no longer read the contents of the cell. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have a solution.

Microsoft Excel Subscription Version 16.0.14827.20220

Windows Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

JAWS Version 2022.2202.38

Chjeers
--
Mark Fisher
Manager - People Systems

Van Lant, Robin

Mark,

I use data tables.  I havent’ noticed the issue you are describing yet, but my tables at present are pretty simple and I’m still on a version behind you: Subscription Version 16.0.13801.21214.  I’ll see if my company is offering the update yet.

I just created a simple table and entered a formula with a circular reference.  JAWS announced the error as I move to that cell, but I do not see any floating menu next to the cell.  Could I have something turned off that you have on?  I started to look in Options to see if anything is obvious.  I’ll keep looking around to see if I can replicate the issue you are dealing with.

Also happy just to know another JAWS user using data tables.  My new manager thrives on them and I totally see the value, so am working to make them my default way of working in Excel, but I have a couple challenges with keyboard commands that I invoke that accidentally crash or freeze Excel when running JAWS.  That’s a topic for another day. Mainly wanted to acknowledge your email and open a partnership to figure this out.  I’ll see if my manager can help me replicate the floating menus you referenced.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2022, Office 365.

Robin Van Lant

[...]

KeyCorp Public

KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. prohibits the use of texts or other unapproved messaging applications for business purposes.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mark Fisher

Hi Robin

Data tables are great and very flexible. I use them all the time. Don't have this issue on my work lap top so trying to work out what's different. Also trawling through the Excel options to see if I can turn them off otherwise might have to revert to sending a file to the Vispero help desk. Thanks for acknowledging.
--
Mark Fisher
Manager - People Systems