moderated JAWS And Excel Floating Menus

Mark Fisher

Hi All

Hope everyone had a great Easter break.

One for people who work with Excel tables.

After you've formatted data into a table i.e. pressed Ctrl+T to create a table, I'm having  issues with JAWS not reading contents for cells where Excel displays an icon next to the cell indicating a possible formula error.

Example 1 – (Icon appears on the right hand side of the cell).

Undo Calculated Column
U
Stop Automatically Creating Calculated Columns
S
Control AutoCorrect Options...

C

Example 2 (Icon appears on the left hand side of the cell)

Action: On Object Control
split button
Context Menu‑
F
Update Formula to Include Cells
U
Help on this Error
H
Ignore Error
I
Edit in Formula Bar
F
Error Checking Options...
O

When these icons appear, JAWS will no longer read the contents of the cell. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have a solution.

Microsoft Excel Subscription Version 16.0.14827.20220

Windows Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

JAWS Version 2022.2202.38

Chjeers
--
Mark Fisher
Manager - People Systems
Water Corporation

Van Lant, Robin

Mark,

I use data tables.  I havent’ noticed the issue you are describing yet, but my tables at present are pretty simple and I’m still on a version behind you: Subscription Version 16.0.13801.21214.  I’ll see if my company is offering the update yet.

I just created a simple table and entered a formula with a circular reference.  JAWS announced the error as I move to that cell, but I do not see any floating menu next to the cell.  Could I have something turned off that you have on?  I started to look in Options to see if anything is obvious.  I’ll keep looking around to see if I can replicate the issue you are dealing with. 

Also happy just to know another JAWS user using data tables.  My new manager thrives on them and I totally see the value, so am working to make them my default way of working in Excel, but I have a couple challenges with keyboard commands that I invoke that accidentally crash or freeze Excel when running JAWS.  That’s a topic for another day. Mainly wanted to acknowledge your email and open a partnership to figure this out.  I’ll see if my manager can help me replicate the floating menus you referenced.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2022, Office 365.

Robin Van Lant

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fisher
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2022 5:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS And Excel Floating Menus

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

Hi All

Hope everyone had a great Easter break.

One for people who work with Excel tables.

After you've formatted data into a table i.e. pressed Ctrl+T to create a table, I'm having  issues with JAWS not reading contents for cells where Excel displays an icon next to the cell indicating a possible formula error.

Example 1 – (Icon appears on the right hand side of the cell).

Undo Calculated Column
U
Stop Automatically Creating Calculated Columns
S
Control AutoCorrect Options...

C

Example 2 (Icon appears on the left hand side of the cell)

Action: On Object Control
split button
Context Menu‑
F
Update Formula to Include Cells
U
Help on this Error
H
Ignore Error
I
Edit in Formula Bar
F
Error Checking Options...
O

When these icons appear, JAWS will no longer read the contents of the cell. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have a solution.

Microsoft Excel Subscription Version 16.0.14827.20220

Windows Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

JAWS Version 2022.2202.38

Chjeers
--
Mark Fisher
Manager - People Systems
Water Corporation

KeyCorp Public

KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. prohibits the use of texts or other unapproved messaging applications for business purposes.

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Mark Fisher

Hi Robin

Data tables are great and very flexible. I use them all the time. Don't have this issue on my work lap top so trying to work out what's different. Also trawling through the Excel options to see if I can turn them off otherwise might have to revert to sending a file to the Vispero help desk. Thanks for acknowledging.
--
Mark Fisher
Manager - People Systems
Water Corporation