Topics

moderated JAWS and color-coded emails in Outlook

Walker, Michael E

Hi,

Which setting is for getting JAWS to automatically announce when colors change in an email, as I am reading the email? Say the email says, “Tweak what is in red.” I will not always know when to press insert+f.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike B

Hi Mike,

Let me first state, I've never tried doing this so you might have to experiment a little.  While in Outlook you can try changing the scheme to see how this works, and to change schemes try the following.
Note:  Take notice of the highlighted scheme when opening the schemes list, so you know which one to revert back to for your default.
1. While in Outlook press, Insert, Alt + S, to open the list of schemes.
2. Navigate up / down through the list and the scheme I would try first is, Colors.  With your chosen scheme highlighted / selected press enter.  Now see if Jaws reads / reports as you want.
Also pressing, Insert + 5, on the number row will report foreground & background colors.

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 12:05 PM
Subject: JAWS and color-coded emails in Outlook

Hi,

Which setting is for getting JAWS to automatically announce when colors change in an email, as I am reading the email? Say the email says, “Tweak what is in red.” I will not always know when to press insert+f.

Thank you,

Mike

george b

Hi mike

I tried your suggestion below and it reads the colors, but one issue…

It says defalt color on white.  How do we know what the defalt color is.

Do you think that is a bug?

I tried a couple of choices with color in the title and get the same result.

What do you think?

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 12:05 PM

Hi,

Which setting is for getting JAWS to automatically announce when colors change in an email, as I am reading the email? Say the email says, “Tweak what is in red.” I will not always know when to press insert+f.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike B

Hi George,

Since I only played around with reading colors for the 1st time yesterday the only things I can suggest is;
1. Try a different scheme.
2. See if invoking the, Insert + 5, on the number row keystroke will say what the, Default, color is.  Remember when invoking this keystroke the foreground color is reported 1st and the background color is reported 2nd.

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 12:05 PM

Hi,

Which setting is for getting JAWS to automatically announce when colors change in an email, as I am reading the email? Say the email says, “Tweak what is in red.” I will not always know when to press insert+f.

Thank you,

Mike

george b

Well I just tried them all and I get the  same when ever colors are spoken I am using your email.

I get colors defalt and white and the defalt I am going to think is black, and then that would be black on white.

So how do we know the color of text when it always says defalt?

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 12:05 PM

Hi,

Which setting is for getting JAWS to automatically announce when colors change in an email, as I am reading the email? Say the email says, “Tweak what is in red.” I will not always know when to press insert+f.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike B

My computers report what you're referring to as the default as, Black.  So, if this a computer setting, I don't know.  I can't get Jaws to report, Default, for any color in any application whether it's on myWin10 or 7 systems.  Hopefully someone will have a better answer.

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 12:05 PM

Hi,

Which setting is for getting JAWS to automatically announce when colors change in an email, as I am reading the email? Say the email says, “Tweak what is in red.” I will not always know when to press insert+f.

Thank you,

Mike

Cohn, Jonathan

I believe this is because with Windows there is now a dark mode that is being used even for folks with no vision issues. So in Office applications when using standard colors the app will report default on default.  ,

george b

How do we turn that off because I get the same when I tested in a word doc.

I believe this is because with Windows there is now a dark mode that is being used even for folks with no vision issues. So in Office applications when using standard colors the app will report default on default.  ,

Mario

try the following to maybe find what's needed:

press windows+i, and press enter after typing dark mode in the search field. there should be two choices after pressing tab: Turn on dark mode for apps or Turn on dark mode systemwide.

How do we turn that off because I get the same when I tested in a word doc.

I believe this is because with Windows there is now a dark mode that is
being used even for folks with no vision issues. So in Office
applications when using standard colors the app will report default on
default. ,

windows+i for settings, and type dark mode and press enter in the search field.