Topics

JAWS and ARIA's application role

Ney André de Mello Zunino <zunino@...>

Hello.

Has anybody else had problems with JAWS not entering application mode
when the role="application" attribute/value pair is not set on the root
(body) element, but on an inner container? I have a page which should
work in document mode until an ARIA widget receives focus. This ARIA
widget is within a container div with role="application" set. However,
keystrokes continue to be intercepted by the screen reader, instead of
being left to the application. Setting the role on the body element
results in the expected behavior.

DOESN'T WORK

...ARIA widget...

WORKS

...ARIA widget...

I have published a test sample on pastebin. The links are below.
Remember to name the files 'test.html', 'test.css' and 'test.js',
respectivelly. FWIW, I have tried them with Firefox 4 and 5, with JAWS 12.

HTML: http://pastebin.com/jqWarsKC
CSS: http://pastebin.com/d2JAkuHx
JS: http://pastebin.com/uBksPRpT

I'd be very thankful if anybody would be willing to give it a try or
contribute in any other way. This discussion was originally started in
the WebAIM mailing list, but I thought it made sense to publish it here
on the JAWS list.

Thank you in advance,

--
Ney André de Mello Zunino