moderated Jaws accessible Windows 10 clipboard alternative?

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So it seems like the May 2021 Jaws update broke the Windows clipboard. Broke in the sense that while the clipboard itself still works, Jaws isn’t speaking the various copied entries when arrowing around which is causing me all sorts of fits.

This actually happened a couple of months ago and at that time, I simply rolled back to the prior version of Jaws. Vispero did put out a new update which fixed the problem and that’s what I attempted to do this time, but even after rolling back to the April 2021 Jaws where the clipboard worked before installing the May 2021 update, now it seems that not even the April Jaws update is working right with the clipboard.

So anyway, I don’t have time for Vispero to investigate the issue and hopefully do something to fix this bug. In the meantime, I need to access this particular feature for my work. Is there an alternative Windows 10 clipboard utility that I can use? I tried downloading Ditto, but as it’s an extension to the Windows 10 clipboard itself, no luck there.

Thanks,

Cristóbal

Glenn / Lenny

Maybe download the Jaws 2020 and if you cannot license it, run it as a demo.
Or you could install NVDA.

Glenn

[...]

Not practical in the least.

While I do use NVDA for the odd task her and there, Jaws is my primary screen reader and how I run my business. Outlook, Excel, Word etc. Hence my asking about Jaws to begin with…

Running JFW in demo mode throughout the day would be terribly disruptive as well.

This is why I specifically asked about an alternative application while this hopefully gets fixed.

[...]

Well you could unload your licensed copy, and load the demo when need be and unload that and go back to the licensed copy.
Of course the time limit keeps going so you'd have to reboot after 40 minutes.
But it's better than nothing.

[...]

Or… I could ask the list community if there’s perhaps an alternative clipboard utility that’s accessible with Jaws I could use in the meantime without having to jump through all those impractical hoops.

I’ve tried Ditto and ClipAngel so far. I already mentioned Ditto previously. ClipAngel seems like a nifty little tool, but while the menus are accessible, I can’t seem to find any of the copied text entries. So it’s basically a no go.

[...]

Chris Hill

This is a feature i just turned on.  I had no luck getting jaws to read it (current version recently updated).  Then I reloaded jaws, problem solved.  I suspect that jaws loading on startup may be causing the problem, just unload and reload it.

On 5/20/2021 18:58, Cristóbal wrote:

[...]

Sherri

What is the name of the feature for the JAWS accessible clipboard feature and how do I turn it on?  Thanks.

Sherri

[...]

          It's not a JAWS feature, it's a Windows 10 feature.  And it was (and still should be) accessible under JAWS, but the latest update to JAWS 2021 appears to have broken its own ability to deal with the Windows 10 clipboard.

          What's being referred to is Clipboard History feature of the Windows 10 clipboard.  If you wish to experiment with it, and do not as yet have the currently-broken version of JAWS, go to Settings, System, Clipboard Pane and flip on the toggle for Clipboard History.  I know that this feature has been discussed to death in multiple screen reader forums, so won't go any further here.

           ~ André Gide

Chris Hill

On 5/20/2021 19:22, Sherri wrote:

[...]

Just tried it. Didn’t work.

Thanks anyway.

[...]

Richard Turner

I am running the May update to Jaws 2021 and the Windows Clipboard is working the way it always had for me.

Jaws is reading the entries after I hit Windows+v and I can arrow to the one I want to paste and hit enter, and it is pasted.

I don’t know if you do your updates this way, but I always download the package and install, rather than going through the update wizard because I think the wizard’s wand is damaged.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

[...]

Yes I always download the file instead of using the update wizard.

[...]

John Covici

OK, I have a question about this clipboard business -- I can hit
windows key+v, but after that, the only keys I seem to be able to use
are the arrow keys and there is usually only one entry. So, the
question is -- and I have googled to several different articles -- how
do you add more items to the clipboard and how do you delete an item?

On Fri, 21 May 2021 10:53:09 -0400,
Richard Turner wrote:

[1 <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
[...]

[2 <text/html; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

John,

            If you have clipboard history enabled successively copying or cutting material should put each cut or copied item on to your clipboard.  If that's not happening I can't explain it.  What follows was posted to the Win10 forum in January 2019 by a member who's no longer active.  It is a tutorial for Clipboard History, and it's aimed at sighted users, but the translations are simple.

            Click means activate once you have focus on the item in the clipboard.

             One thing that has changed, and that's good from an accessibility standpoint, is that each item on the clipboard now has it's own menu to allow you to pin it, delete it, or to clear the entire clipboard in one fell swoop.  Once you have focus on any given clipboard item, hitting tab once will place focus on the menu button for that particular item.  If you activate the button you're presented with those three options.

When you have focus on any item in the clipboard, hitting enter will paste that item at the insertion point in the program from which you invoked the clipboard history to come up.

Any formatting errors in the below are not my own.  I did a quick and dirty copy and paste from the original message, as this pretty much covers everything.

---------------------------
 The New Windows 10 Clipboard: Everything You Need for Copy Pasting

 Microsoft has finally improved the Windows clipboard. It’s always been very basic, storing only the most recent item you copied. And the copied item was only available on the current PC.

 Now, in Windows 10 (Version 1809 and later), the clipboard can save more than one item and you can paste anything stored in the clipboard, even if it’s not the most recent item.

 The clipboard history is not enabled by default.

 To turn it on, go to Start menu  Settings  System. Click Clipboard on the left, then throw the toggle for  Clipboard history so it's On.

 Press Windows Key + V to access the clipboard.

 Access Your Clipboard History

 Once you enable clipboard history, Windows stores every item you copy in the clipboard history.

 The clipboard still works using Ctrl + C to copy and Ctrl + V to paste. But in the new clipboard, Ctrl + C does not replace the last copied item. It adds to the stored items in the clipboard. And Ctrl + V pastes the most recently copied item.

 To access your clipboard history, press Windows key + V. If a program that you can paste an item into is active, like Notepad or Word, the clipboard displays right below the cursor.

 Scroll through the clipboard and click an item to paste it at the cursor.

 Click an item on the clipboard to paste it into Notepad in Windows 10

Pin an Item to the Clipboard

 You can use the new Windows 10 clipboard to store items you use often.

 When you restart your PC, items stored in the clipboard are automatically deleted. But you can force items to stay in the clipboard by pinning them.

 Press Windows key + V to open the clipboard history. Find the item you want to keep and click the thumbtack icon on that item. The thumbtack icon appears at an angle when an item is pinned and flat when it’s not pinned. Click the thumbtack icon again to unpin the item.

 To delete a pinned item, click the X in the upper-right corner on the item. You do not have to unpin the item before deleting it.

 Pin an item to the clipboard in Windows 10
 Sync Your Clipboard History Across All Your Devices

 If you use multiple Windows 10 devices, you’ll love this part of the improved clipboard. You can now sync clipboard items between devices.

 Now when you copy something you want to transfer to another computer, you don’t have to paste it into a file and transfer that file using a cloud service like Dropbox or OneDrive, or even sneaker-net it using a USB flash drive.

 To sync the clipboard between devices, you must be signed in to Windows with your Microsoft account, instead of a local Microsoft account.
 How to Delete Your Microsoft Account & Create a Local Windows 10 Login How to Delete Your Microsoft Account & Create a Local Windows 10 LoginHave privacy concerns about using a Microsoft Account in the cloud? Here's how to create a local Windows 10 login account instead.Read More

 If your Windows account is currently a local account, go to Start menu  Settings  Accounts  Your Info and click Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

 Enter the email address and password for your Microsoft account and then enter the current password for your local account.

 You can create a PIN when asked, but it’s not required. You can set it up later.

 Sign in with a Microsoft account instead in Windows 10 Settings

 Once you sign in to Windows 10 using your Microsoft account, go to Start menu  Settings  System  Clipboard and click Get Started under Sync across devices.

 Click Get Started under Sync across devices for the Windows 10 clipboard

 You’re asked for a security code which you can get in one of two ways: using your email or using an app, like Authy, Google Authenticator, or Microsoft Authenticator. Choose an option and click Next.

 Enter the code sent through email or in the app. If you use the Microsoft Authenticator app, you’ll be asked to verify the code in the app. You’ll then be signed in to your Microsoft account.

 Choose how to get the code for syncing the clipboard in Windows 10

 To sync clipboard items across devices, click the slider button under Sync across devices so it turns blue and reads On.

 By default, all your clipboard items are synced across your devices (Automatically sync text that I copy under Automatic syncing). If you sometimes copy sensitive data, you may want to select Never automatically sync text that I copy instead. This way, your sensitive data is not uploaded to your Microsoft account.

 If you choose to never automatically sync clipboard items, you can sync specific items manually.

 Enable Sync across devices for the Windows 10 clipboard
 Clear the Clipboard History

 You can clear the clipboard history at any time.

 Press Windows key + V to open the clipboard history and click Clear all at the top of the window. All items except for pinned items are deleted.

 To delete a single item, click the X in the upper-right corner of the item’s box.

 Clear all clipboard history on the clipboard in Windows 10

 You can also clear the clipboard history in the PC Settings.

 Go to Start menu  Settings  System  Clipboard and click Clear under Clear clipboard data.

 There’s no confirmation, but the Clear button grays out.

 Clear the clipboard history using PC Settings in Windows 10
 Disable the Clipboard Experience

 If you decide you don’t want Windows to store the clipboard history, you can disable it.

 Go to Start menu  Settings  System  Clipboard and click the slider button under Clipboard history so it turns white and reads Off.

 The entire clipboard history is deleted, including pinned items.

 Disable clipboard history in Windows 10 Settings
 Some Limitations and Security Considerations

 Syncing clipboard items between devices is a great new feature, but it only works between devices running at least Windows 10 version 1809.
 How (Not) to Upgrade to the Latest Windows 10 Version How (Not) to Upgrade to the Latest Windows 10 VersionThe Windows 10 October 2018 Update will roll out soon. Whether you want to latest feature upgrade now or wait, we show you how.Read More

 There are other limitations to be aware of.

     The clipboard only keeps text and images up to 4MB.
     You can sync a file name you copy. But if you copy a file to another location, the file is not stored in your clipboard history. So it’s not available on your other Windows 10 devices.
     As we mentioned in the Sync Your Clipboard History Across All Your Devices section above, if you copy sensitive data like passwords, it syncs through Microsoft servers in plain text. So you should choose to never automatically sync text you copy.

           ~ André Gide