moderated JAWS 2022 Spelling All Caps Words

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

I am running JAWS 2022 version 2022.2202.38.400. Of late, I am noticing that when JAWS encounters a word that is written in all caps, with the capital indicator setting set to indicate capitalization for characters and words, JAWS will spell the word out letter by letter instead of saying the word as it did in JAWS 2021. For me, this is a problem because, on my system, I use a sound to indicate capitalization, and if I am reading a document, the capitalization sounds are blended in with the text. Hence, having an all caps word spelled is a problem. Is this something over which I might have some control over in a hitherto unknown JAWS setting?

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Loy

You can do a insert 6 and search for text processing and under general you will different options on how to read capital letters.

I am running JAWS 2022 version 2022.2202.38.400. Of late, I am noticing that when JAWS encounters a word that is written in all caps, with the capital indicator setting set to indicate capitalization for characters and words, JAWS will spell the word out letter by letter instead of saying the word as it did in JAWS 2021. For me, this is a problem because, on my system, I use a sound to indicate capitalization, and if I am reading a document, the capitalization sounds are blended in with the text. Hence, having an all caps word spelled is a problem. Is this something over which I might have some control over in a hitherto unknown JAWS setting?

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Hello:

My knowledge of JAWS is not that basic<smile>. The problem here is that in Word, I have capitalization set to character, word, and line. With this setting, words that in all caps are now spelled letter by letter. This did not happen with JAWS 2021 using the same setting.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi Curtis,

I’m not seeing this with JAWS 2022 and Eloquence. What synth are you using?

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Hi Steve:

I am using Eloquence, and (as it turns out) with Caps indication set to char, words, lines, spell, only the word JAWS (all caps) is spelled out. Switching the caps indication to a lower setting, as in Word, solves this problem but prevents me from doing proofreading as efficiently as I could prior to when this problem surfaced.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

[...]

For proofing, I use Text Analyser.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Hello Steve:

As do I<smile>. However, Text Analyzer is not that terrific at capitalization detection.

Curtis