moderated JAWS 2022 Spelling All Caps Words

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

I am running JAWS 2022 version 2022.2202.38.400. Of late, I am noticing that when JAWS encounters a word that is written in all caps, with the capital indicator setting set to indicate capitalization for characters and words, JAWS will spell the word out letter by letter instead of saying the word as it did in JAWS 2021. For me, this is a problem because, on my system, I use a sound to indicate capitalization, and if I am reading a document, the capitalization sounds are blended in with the text. Hence, having an all caps word spelled is a problem. Is this something over which I might have some control over in a hitherto unknown JAWS setting?

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Loy

You can do a insert 6 and search for text processing and under general you will different options on how to read capital letters.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2022 12:09 PM
Subject: JAWS 2022 Spelling All Caps Words

Greetings:

I am running JAWS 2022 version 2022.2202.38.400. Of late, I am noticing that when JAWS encounters a word that is written in all caps, with the capital indicator setting set to indicate capitalization for characters and words, JAWS will spell the word out letter by letter instead of saying the word as it did in JAWS 2021. For me, this is a problem because, on my system, I use a sound to indicate capitalization, and if I am reading a document, the capitalization sounds are blended in with the text. Hence, having an all caps word spelled is a problem. Is this something over which I might have some control over in a hitherto unknown JAWS setting?

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Hello:

My knowledge of JAWS is not that basic<smile>. The problem here is that in Word, I have capitalization set to character, word, and line. With this setting, words that in all caps are now spelled letter by letter. This did not happen with JAWS 2021 using the same setting.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2022 12:21 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2022 Spelling All Caps Words

You can do a insert 6 and search for text processing and under general you will different options on how to read capital letters.

Greetings:

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Steve Nutt

Hi Curtis,

I’m not seeing this with JAWS 2022 and Eloquence. What synth are you using?

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: 28 February 2022 15:55

Hello:

My knowledge of JAWS is not that basic<smile>. The problem here is that in Word, I have capitalization set to character, word, and line. With this setting, words that in all caps are now spelled letter by letter. This did not happen with JAWS 2021 using the same setting.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Hi Steve:

I am using Eloquence, and (as it turns out) with Caps indication set to char, words, lines, spell, only the word JAWS (all caps) is spelled out. Switching the caps indication to a lower setting, as in Word, solves this problem but prevents me from doing proofreading as efficiently as I could prior to when this problem surfaced.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2022 10:03 AM

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hello:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Steve Nutt

Hi Curtis,

For proofing, I use Text Analyser.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 28 February 2022 17:27

Hi Steve:

I am using Eloquence, and (as it turns out) with Caps indication set to char, words, lines, spell, only the word JAWS (all caps) is spelled out. Switching the caps indication to a lower setting, as in Word, solves this problem but prevents me from doing proofreading as efficiently as I could prior to when this problem surfaced.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hello:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Hello Steve:

As do I<smile>. However, Text Analyzer is not that terrific at capitalization detection.

Curtis

Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2022 4:18 AM

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hi Steve:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hello:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Steve Nutt

Hi Curtis,

Let’s try something.

This sentence has a WROng set of capitals in it.

Although JAWS didn’t alert me to wrong capitals, I got the word Misspelled before the word Wrong. So it did alert me to an error, and I was able then, by reading char by char, the capital inconsistencies.

So it can be done.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 01 March 2022 16:16

Hello Steve:

As do I<smile>. However, Text Analyzer is not that terrific at capitalization detection.

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hi Steve:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hello:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Steve:

You’re right. Thanks for the pointer.

Curtis

Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2022 10:31 AM

Hi Curtis,

Let’s try something.

This sentence has a WROng set of capitals in it.

Although JAWS didn’t alert me to wrong capitals, I got the word Misspelled before the word Wrong. So it did alert me to an error, and I was able then, by reading char by char, the capital inconsistencies.

So it can be done.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 01 March 2022 16:16

Hello Steve:

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hi Steve:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Hi Curtis,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Hello:

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Thank you kindly.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong