moderated JAWS 2022 provides a way to avoid AutoMigration feature

Bill White

I just heard on the latest FS podcast that, due to feedback, there will be a checkbox in JAWS 2022 that will allow those who wish to do so, to avoid the AutoMigration feature. By default, this check box will be checked, so it won't be inconvenient for those who want to AutoMigrate, but for those of who don't want to AutoMigrate, we will now be able to uncheck this check box, and avoid having settings migrated from JAWS 2021 to JAWS 2022. I am happy that they made this change from their initial plans.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell

However, wouldn't the settings already be migrated with the installation of the beta?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke
On 9/29/2021 4:40 PM, Bill White wrote:

I just heard on the latest FS podcast that, due to feedback, there will be a checkbox in JAWS 2022 that will allow those who wish to do so, to avoid the AutoMigration feature. By default, this check box will be checked, so it won't be inconvenient for those who want to AutoMigrate, but for those of who don't want to AutoMigrate, we will now be able to uncheck this check box, and avoid having settings migrated from JAWS 2021 to JAWS 2022. I am happy that they made this change from their initial plans.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White

I don't know if the beta migrates settings, but since I never installed the beta, when JAWS 2022 comes out, I'll be able to decide whether I want to migrate settings or not.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 1:46 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2022 provides a way to avoid AutoMigration feature

However, wouldn't the settings already be migrated with the installation of the beta?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell

Lucky you.  I made the mistake of downloading the beta and had to go back to 21, because of frequent crashes.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 9/29/2021 7:11 PM, Bill White wrote:

I don't know if the beta migrates settings, but since I never installed the beta, when JAWS 2022 comes out, I'll be able to decide whether I want to migrate settings or not.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White

Hi again, Maria. If you uninstall the beta, and when JAWS 2022 comes out, you install it, you will still have the option or not to AutoMigrate your JAWS settings to JAWS 2022, since uninstalling the beta will also take out all the settings for the beta.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 4:16 PM

Lucky you.  I made the mistake of downloading the beta and had to go back to 21, because of frequent crashes.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I have been using Jaws 2022 exclusively now for a bit and have no more crashes than with Jaws 2021 and this is both on my work desktop as well as my laptop at home.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: September 29, 2021 4:16 PM

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

crayton Benner

Now this is a very nice feature. I love that. 

On Sep 29, 2021, at 16:40, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Bill White

Steve Nutt

Yes, but you can reset JAWS back to factory defaults if you want.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 29 September 2021 21:46

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Steve Nutt

Yes, the beta silently migrates settings, but it also has an option to reset back to factory.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 30 September 2021 00:12

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Steve Nutt

Yep, it’s a bit unhappy at the moment the beta.

I even found an Email where it wouldn’t read the subject line at all in the message list of Outlook 365. Going back to JAWS 2021, it worked.

So don’t try the beta, unless you want to have fun, or know what you’re doing, or at least if you do, keep the 2021 JAWS shortcut handy on the desktop with a keyboard hotkey so you can easily swap.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 30 September 2021 00:16

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Steve, I think you are catching up with this thread,

The latest news is there will be a checkbox up front before installation happens to not migrate your settings, so no need to go back to factory defaults because it will install that way.

From FS Cast 205.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 8:38 AM

Yes, the beta silently migrates settings, but it also has an option to reset back to factory.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Steve Nutt

I agree, but my answer concerned Maria’s question that if you install the current beta, it silently migrates. If you are unhappy with that, you can always reset to factory defaults, so you don’t have to wait for that checkbox.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 30 September 2021 16:43

Steve, I think you are catching up with this thread,

The latest news is there will be a checkbox up front before installation happens to not migrate your settings, so no need to go back to factory defaults because it will install that way.

From FS Cast 205.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 8:38 AM

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

That is interesting, I initially had some issues with Jaws 2022 not reading the message status in Outlook like Unread, Replied, Forwarded etc. and Jaws read the column headers in front of each field like this:

From Steve Nutt Subject Re: JAWS 2022 provides a way to avoid AutoMigration feature Date Thu 09/30/2021 8:41 AM Size 123 Kb

Anyways, this somehow cleared itself up and as I said, I have really no issues I can think of using Jaws 2022 for everything. Of course I don't mean to say there are no bugs, but there will of course always be issues which will get fixed if they are reported and are reproduceable.

Sent: September 30, 2021 8:41 AM

I even found an Email where it wouldn’t read the subject line at all in the message list of Outlook 365. Going back to JAWS 2021, it worked.

So don’t try the beta, unless you want to have fun, or know what you’re doing, or at least if you do, keep the 2021 JAWS shortcut handy on the desktop with a keyboard hotkey so you can easily swap.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I must admit, I’ve only seen one Email where JAWS 20222 beta refused to read the subject line in the message list. I can’t figure what’s different about the Email and because it’s a private one, I can’t send it. But it is frustrating when you get weird bugs like that.

JAWS 2021 read it fine, as did Narrator and NVDA.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 30 September 2021 17:19

That is interesting, I initially had some issues with Jaws 2022 not reading the message status in Outlook like Unread, Replied, Forwarded etc. and Jaws read the column headers in front of each field like this:

From Steve Nutt Subject Re: JAWS 2022 provides a way to avoid AutoMigration feature Date Thu 09/30/2021 8:41 AM Size 123 Kb

Anyways, this somehow cleared itself up and as I said, I have really no issues I can think of using Jaws 2022 for everything. Of course I don't mean to say there are no bugs, but there will of course always be issues which will get fixed if they are reported and are reproduceable.

Sent: September 30, 2021 8:41 AM

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

Bill White

billwhite92701@...