moderated JAWS 2022

Bill White

Just a heads up for those who will be purchasing JAWS 2022. There will no longer be a Settings Migration tool. Instead, JAWS 22 will automatically adopt whatever settings you had chosen for your last version of JAWS. I am personally unhappy about this, because I never migrate settings from one JAWS version to another. Here's what the latest FS podcast says about avoiding that problem.

If you had a previous version, and it adopted those settings, and you’d rather

start clean, or you’d rather import some other settings that you’ve saved someplace else, you go to the Options menu.  You choose Restore Factory Defaults.

It’ll ask you are you sure you want to do this?  You accept it.  And your settings will be wiped out.  I think JAWS will actually restart, and you’ll get

the Startup Wizard just like you had just done a clean install with no adoption of settings.  So at that point you can do whatever you like.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Michael Walker

Hi Bill,

Why wouldn’t you want your settings to migrate to the newer version?

Mike

On Aug 31, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Mike. Several times, due to changes in the newer version of JAWS, migrating the settings to the new version caused anomalies that made it necessary to completely reinstall the newer version. Nobody knows when this might happen, so many of us simply change the settings manually in the new version, so the migration tool doesn't mess up the new version of JAWS. Now that the new version of JAWS won't have a migration tool, the new version of JAWS will get messed up automatically.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Unless a miracle has happened and they solved the migration issue.
One can always hope...

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." -- Jane Wagner

website:  www.turner42.com

[...]

I’ve never had that happen.

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

It all depends on how complicated your settings are, do you have a braille display, do you have custom scripts or do you yourself modify or write scripts and so on.

[...]

Steve Nutt

Because sometimes there is corruption in the old settings, and a newer version of JAWS gets screwed up because of it.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

If there is corruption you have to reset to default anyways and you can still do this.

I think this is probably a really good feature for a large group of Jaws users. This was pointed out by Jonathan Mosen on another list and I agree, if you set up a new iPhone all your Settings also transfer over and people love it.

[...]

James Homuth

It’s about time we get this feature. Just saved me a step. And pretty much every other program does this…