moderated jaws 2021 sound and speech problems.

Patrick Murphy

Hi,

The subject of this email is probably not worded right.

I have had to completely reset my del pc, because of sound card problems.

Since fully reinstalling windows, my sound card is speaking like it has a throat problem!!

I have tried using the windows default, and the realtec speakers.

Anyway, there is no difference.

The sound card looks like it is changing, but there is no difference in the actual sound.

Two days of resetting the pc!!!

Anyway to get to my point:

When I am moving through items in a folder, jaws is saying “1 of 5” or “2 of 5” etc.

Is there some way to turn this off?

I know I asked this before, but I can’t find my own topics.

On this, when I log into the group via the web, can anyone tell me, how to get a list of my own topics?

I can’t seem to find it under my account or something like that.

How can I start a topic online?

Any ideas about the sound cards?

If it makes any difference, jaws wants to add a configuration for “shcore” when I run the settings centre.

I have learned, that this is some sort of “dll” file in windows 10, although why it is using my desktop is a mistery.

Sorry if this is rambling.

Have a good one and stay safe,

Pat

Sent from my gmail account.

Bill White

Hi, Pat. As far as turning off JAWS verbalizing how many items in a folder or on the desktop,

1. If you want to turn off this behavior for all folders and the desktop,

2. Press JAWS key plus the number six on the numbers row.

3. Press CONTROL plus SHIFT plus D to load the Default JAWS configuration file.

4. If you only want to turn off JAWS verbalizing how many items for the current application, skip step 3.

5. Open Text Processing.

6. Open Speech Verbocity.

7. Open Configure Verbocity levels.

8. Press SPACE on Beginner level.

9. Arrow down to Position Information, and uncheck it.

10. TAB to OK, and press SPACE.

11. TAB to Apply, and press SPACE.

12. TAB to OK, and press SPACE.

13. Now JAWS should no longer verbalize the number of items in folders or the desktop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi Bill,

You are a life saver!!

Thanks for that, it worked no problem.

Just in general, does anyone have any thoughts on the rest of it?

Regards and thanks,

Pat

Sent from my gmail account.

[...]

Klaus Vielhauer

Hello Bill,

me too followed your steps to benefit from less verbosity.

When I reach step: "5. text processing" I am not able to open it.

I try: Enter or spacebar or spacebar and downarrow

but I am always thrown out of the settings page back to desktop.

I had worked with "insert + #6" before but now I am lost.

Any ideas? Latest windows home and Jaws is installed.

Klaus

On 4/5/2021 9:01 AM, Patrick Murphy wrote:

[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

Can you better describe your voice issues?
There is some sound card drivers that turn off sound on a regular basis. This causes JAWS to not speak the beginning of each phrase. There was an option in JAWS 2020/2021 to correct this. You need to open up JAWS settings center to the default set and find a setting about sound in there. Let us know if that is not your issue, or if you can't find the setting with my vague description.

On Apr 4, 2021, at 15:27, Patrick Murphy <murphy.patrick42@...> wrote:

[...]

The sound card sounds like it has a sore throat, for want of a better explanation.

No matter what card I select, the result is the same.

Anyway, I think I am going to have to get an engineer out to look at the machine.

Now, adobe dc reader is not scrolling, the web browsers are reading things that are not on screen etc.

I did a complete reinstall of windows on Saturday, but the problems have gotten progressively worse in the last two days.

I am beginning to think,that the mother board is damaged.

The machine is unger warranty with del, so hopefully, they will send someone out, or replace the machine.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pat

Sent from my gmail account.

[...]

Mike B

Hi Klaus,

I'm not Bill but, use the right arrow to open when a folder says, Closed, and use left arrow to Close when a folder is, Open.

In all actuality the Text Processing folder doesn't need to be opened.

Just down arrow to, Speech Verboscity, and right arrow to open.

Then, down arrow to, Open Configure Verbocity levels, right arrow to open, and follow the rest of Bill's steps.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Have you checked if any Enhancements are turned on, easiest way to get to this is to go to Control Panel > Sounds, then select  your soundcard and go to Properties, here you have several tabs likes this:

General, Levels, Enhancements, AdvancedSpacial Sound

Depending on your card you may or may not have all of these or maybe they are called slightly different things, for me under enhancements I have "Base Boost" and another options "disable all enhancements", if you have this and it is not checked I would try and check it, then tab to Apply and activate it, then OK. If you have a spacial Sound tab also check there and once again I would recommend you check it is set to Off.

[...]

Steven Hicks

That is a good thing to try, I sorted some issues with my sound card using these.