Topics

moderated Jaws 2018 or 2019 with Adobe acrobat xi standard

John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Is anyone successfully using Adobe acrobat xi standard with Jaws?

I'm having some difficulties with it.

Thanks.

David Kingsbury

Hi,

Simplest would be to install Acrobat DC. Adobe probably doesn’t even support the XI version any more.

David

Adrian Spratt

David,

Now that you’ve made yourself into our resident browser expert, thanks to your well-received book, I’m curious how you feel about Edge’s handling of PDF files. I’ve always opened them in Adobe Reader, but the other day I opened one in Edge. It was a credit card statement, and Edge laid it out exactly as it should be. Adobe Reader had never done so with these statements, and I’d tried a variety of AR settings. I’m considering making Edge the new default for all PDF files.

Simplest would be to install Acrobat DC. Adobe probably doesn’t even support the XI version any more.

David

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Adrian. I find that, if the pdf document is text-based, Edge does well, but if the pdf needs OCR scanning such as goes on in JAWS, if a document shows up as "empty" in Adobe DC, Edge just shows a couple of graphics, and won't read the content at all.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Now that you’ve made yourself into our resident browser expert, thanks to your well-received book, I’m curious how you feel about Edge’s handling of PDF files. I’ve always opened them in Adobe Reader, but the other day I opened one in Edge. It was a credit card statement, and Edge laid it out exactly as it should be. Adobe Reader had never done so with these statements, and I’d tried a variety of AR settings. I’m considering making Edge the new default for all PDF files.

Simplest would be to install Acrobat DC. Adobe probably doesn’t even support the XI version any more.

David

Adrian Spratt

In that case, I wonder if it makes sense for Edge to be my default for PDF files and to rely on convenient OCR for image PDF files.

[...]

I'm not sure, Adrian. I really like the way Edge does text-based files. As you say, it does them better than Adobe sometimes. But if you want to view  a file that's not text-based, and need to use Acrobat Reader, I think you might need to set that as your default to do so. I suppose you could check the pdf, and see if each one is text-based. If it's not, you can press ALT plus ENTER, click the change button, and switch temporarily to Acrobat to view that particular pdf.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks, as always, Bill. A constructive idea.