Topics

JAWS 11 and a Focus 40 Blue Display

Richard Holloway

I am the parent of an 8-year-old JAWS user. She is a skilled braille reader and writer but much more familiar with using a BrailleNote or even a PAC Mate (she has both) as opposed to a PC with JAWS. With that said, she has been using JAWS to some degree for several years now. The key issue holding her back is while she's a very quick braille (perkins style) keyboard typist, she is much slower with a qwerty keyboard.

She has recently gotten a Focus 40 Blue display in hopes if becoming more proficient with her PC use. We haven't had time to even approach bluetooth connectivity yet. We just wanted to get things running via USB last night.

We plugged in and drivers appeared to install properly. This on a 32 bit HP Computer running windows Vista. Her JAWS is version 11 which should not require using the installer disk (per the instructions) though I did ultimately try that as well.

After connection via USB, I quit JAWS as the instructions said then restarted JAWS. In fact ultimately we rebooted the entire computer several more times as well. Long story short, we can operate all the commands and settings and the braille display works, but so far we cannot manage to actually type into any document with the braille keyboard on the Focus 40 Blue.

My understanding it this should work any any application, at least if we turn off contracted braille, but nothing seems to work. The manual seems pretty vague so I have scoured the web, including Freedom Scientific's site for more information, a startup guide, demo video, or any information to try and make this work properly. I did see a "webinar" to sign up for (from Freedom), but that is not happening until mid-september.

I'm looking for the basics. I think I'm overlooking something really simple and I don't know if this is a JAWS issue or a Focus 40 issue but I hope someone here can help.

Does anyone have one of these Focus displays who can just walk me through the basics? Again, we can change modes with all of the top row keys as well as chording commands with the braille keyboard. The braille display works. The whiz wheels work. We can insert the curser into braille text on the braille display and so forth, but no matter what mode I set the unit into (at least so far) when we try to actually type with a cursor flashing on the screen in a Word document, an e-mail, etc., we get nothing. It reminds me a lot of getting into the wrong mode in a web page and not knowing to hit the enter key to be able to type.

We must simply be in the wrong mode somehow, but I find nothing in the manual to help. For example, one character on the braille keyboard (I think it was a "D"?) hides the display on screen, so that I have to go down to the bottom of the screen and click to reopen it. I can't believe this display doesn't come with a quick-start guide.

To (hopefully) clear up any confusion by my post, my daughter has no light perception and exclusively uses a screen reader or a braille display. I have almost zero braille skills but am typically sighted so have to really struggle to read any braille but can check anything needed on a conventional monitor to work on this, and I'm a qwerty typist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My daughter is absolutely beside herself wanting to use this keyboard and display as soon as possible.

Richard Holloway

Roy Nickelson <roylee@...>

this was able to be done in jaws 11 but they have made this a lot easier in
JAWS 12. with JAWS 11 it was necessary to change some settings in JAWS 12
it works without changeing anything.
Roy

[...]

to answer the question for JAWS 11 do LEFT SHIFT+right SHIFT chord to enable
typing mode.
Roy

[...]

We bought 9 and got upgrades through 11. Maybe we need to go ahead and upgrade once more. The costs seem endless! What is that, another $200 or so? Still, if things would be easier...

In any case, problem solved for today, so thanks.

[...]

Bob - KA5ETA <ka5eta@...>

Why don't you download ver 12 and run it in demo. Just to see if that is
the trouble.

[...]

Adi Kushnir <adikushnir@...>

Hi,
I'm a 13 year old JAWS user.
In order to type on the focus Blue display with JAWS 11, press the 2 shift
keys+the spacebar key on the display - not on your qwerty keyboard and JAWS
should say "typing mode on".
With J12 it's very different but as a 13 year old only JAWS user, I really
don't recommend upgrading at this time - JAWS 11 works well so far accept
programs like IE9.
Just waite until 13 - hope that the bugs from 12 will be fixed - there are
lots of them.
So these are the instructions to turn on typing mode in J11 - if you want to
turn it back off so the braille display could be used for other JAWS/Windows
commands, just press this key combination again.

Best regards,

Adi Kushnir, Israel.

Why don't you download ver 12 and run it in demo. Just to see if that is
the trouble.
We bought 9 and got upgrades through 11. Maybe we need to go ahead and
upgrade once more. The costs seem endless! What is that, another $200 or so?

Still, if things would be easier...

In any case, problem solved for today, so thanks.
Sent on the SprintR Now Network from my BlackBerryR