From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of O.Addison Gethers
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2020 6:22 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: jaws2020 fonts letter size

Hi All  I thought I did saved the fonts letter size in my microsoft word document but didn’t ,Can anyone tell me how to change fonts size  from 12 to 16 ?

Thanks

Addison

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Addison,

              If you want any document you create as a blank document to have 16-point font size all the time, you need to edit your Normal.dotm file, change it there, then save it.

              This file is located in your AppData folder for your account, which is typically not accessible for anyone unless you turn on Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives, at least so you can get at it then you can turn that setting off again, in Control Panel, File Explorer Options, View Tab.

               Once that's done, Open Word, then open file and navigate to C:\Users\{whatever belongs here for your account}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates and you'll find Normal.dotm there, which is the file you'll select to open.  Once it's open, change whatever it is that you'd like, including but not limited to font face, size, etc., then save the file.

                After that, all blank documents that you open will have the attributes that you set up in your Normal.dotm template.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Don Mauck

That’s a good solution, however, b sue to save the original normal.dat file.

Regards:

Don Mauck | Senior Accessibility Evangelist | Accessibility Program Office |  (APO)

303.334.4184

Don.mauck@...

[...]

Richard Turner

There is an easier way.

Open a blank document.

Press the applications key or shift+f10.

Hit f for font.

Make your adjustments.

Tab to “set as default.

Press spacebar or enter.

You will have a dialog that asks, for this document only, or for all documents based on the normal template, which is a radio button you tab to.

Once you set it to all documents, hit enter or tab to OK and hit enter.

Then, every document will be using that default.

Richard

Live long and prosper 🖖

[...]

             That is, indeed, much easier.  I imagine it's a "more recent" feature, too, where "recent" could be a long while back.  I've been using the method of directly editing the Normal.dot (or dotm, later) file for many decades now.  If Word is, for all practical intents and purposes, allowing you to do this as you describe then it is much easier.

Don,

              You don't really have to worry about saving the original.  If you nuke whatever Normal.dotm is in the folder Word will generate another one, and it will be generated with the defaults.  Now if your original is already modified in one way, and you're not sure about the tweaks you're making, it makes absolute sense to save the existing Normal.dotm as something like OrigNormal.dotm before going back and making the tweaks.  It's really a matter of what your fall back Normal.dotm should be for you.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

O.Addison Gethers

Hi there  Thanks

Addison

There are several ways.  On the fly, I like to select the text I want to adjust then hit control period. You’ll hear JAWS announce the font size in increments each time you hit that key combination.  You can also hit Control D to open a font dialog box to adjust all sorts of aspects or type in a font size.

Hi All  I thought I did saved the fonts letter size in my microsoft word document but didn’t ,Can anyone tell me how to change fonts size  from 12 to 16 ?

Thanks

Addison

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

O.Addison Gethers

Hi richard  Thanks for this !!

Addison

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

Addison,

I just realized it’s actually Control shift period for increasing font size.  Likewise, it’s control shift , for decreasing it.

There are several ways.  On the fly, I like to select the text I want to adjust then hit control period. You’ll hear JAWS announce the font size in increments each time you hit that key combination.  You can also hit Control D to open a font dialog box to adjust all sorts of aspects or type in a font size.

Hi All  I thought I did saved the fonts letter size in my microsoft word document but didn’t ,Can anyone tell me how to change fonts size  from 12 to 16 ?

Thanks

Addison

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

O.Addison Gethers

Hi Don  when I press ctrl +shift +. I don’t hear its say fonts size  with number  I also try ctrl + shift + , that don’t work either !!

Addison

I just realized it’s actually Control shift period for increasing font size.  Likewise, it’s control shift , for decreasing it.

There are several ways.  On the fly, I like to select the text I want to adjust then hit control period. You’ll hear JAWS announce the font size in increments each time you hit that key combination.  You can also hit Control D to open a font dialog box to adjust all sorts of aspects or type in a font size.

Hi All  I thought I did saved the fonts letter size in my microsoft word document but didn’t ,Can anyone tell me how to change fonts size  from 12 to 16 ?

Thanks

Addison

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

O.Addison Gethers

Hi Don  and Brian

I figured out there is another way to do fonts size  ,it is press ctrl + d  then the dialogue box  come up  fonts size  press alt  s  then use down arrow to choose the size then press enter