Topics

moderated itunes with jaws 2021.

Patrick Murphy

Hi,

I am totally frustrated with this, perhaps someone could help.

I have just purchased a new ipad, and i have loaded the itunes app onto my windows 10 pc.

Everything is up to date, windows, jaws etc.

The app seems to be totally inaccessible with jaws.

Should I be using the actual program rather than the Microsoft store app?

Generally, i find apps not very accessible.

Thanks,

Pat

Sent from my gmail account.

Chris Hill

I don't think it matters where you get itunes.  Tab and shift tab are very necessary, alt doesn't seem to bring up the menus, but alt+f will give you the file menu and you can arrow around from there.  Not all that accessible, but for what little you'll actually need it for, it will sort of work.

On 2/19/2021 07:50, Patrick Murphy wrote:

Hi,

I am totally frustrated with this, perhaps someone could help.

I have just purchased a new ipad, and i have loaded the itunes app onto my windows 10 pc.

Everything is up to date, windows, jaws etc.

The app seems to be totally inaccessible with jaws.

Should I be using the actual program rather than the Microsoft store app?

Generally, i find apps not very accessible.

Thanks,

Pat

Sent from my gmail account.

David Griffith

How to tame iTunes Desktop version so that it is a very reasonable music player with a screenreader.

  1. Tab to the library side bar view table.
  2. Change the entry there from whatever it is, artist or album and make sure that songs is selected in the view instead.
  3. Now go to the view menu – as mentioned alt F will shift focus to the menu bar and make sure that under the View menu column browser is set to show. The confusing thin is column browser is only available under song view.
  4. Now return to the view menu repeatedly to customise which columns you want in the browser. Personally I turn off genres and jus leave artist and album and songs.
  5. Now iTunes becomes pretty usable – you can now tab to a column of all your artists which you can simply navigate using the up and down arrow. Normally you can use first letter navigation as well but this seemed broken in the latest version of Jaws I think.  Once you are on the artist you want you can tab or right cursor across  to the albums column where all the albums by that artist will live and finally having selected an album you can tab across to the lists of songs in that album. Pressing enter will start the song playing and playback will continue until the whole album is played.  Space will  pause, right or left arrow move to next or previous tracks. If you want fast forward or rewind you are better off using NVDA as Jaws still interprets control alt and left and right arrows as table commands here. I have never understood why FS have never fixed this bug. I think you may be able to use the key bypass feature if you really want to but it might be just as quick to turn off Jaws whilst you are fast forwarding or rewinding.
  6. Other functions are available from the application key context menu.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10