Topics

moderated It's new computer time and I am looking for advice.

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

It’s new computer time, and here is what I want on the computer.

1.       A numeric key pad with decent separation between it, and the rest of the keyboard.

2.       An optical disk drive.

3.       At least an intel core 5 processor,

4.       Head phone jack, and I guess these days it’s a combo jack with microphone.

5.       Decent battery life.

6.       And anything else you might recommend. And any thoughts will be appreciated.

7.       Jim

Bill Tessore

I got a USB enabled ZoomText keyboard for my laptop . The keys are much more well separated, larger than the laptop’s and the characters are bold, large andhighly contrasted with the black keys.

Shalom,

Bill Tessore
billtessore@...

On Jan 6, 2020, at 7:40 PM, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@...> wrote:

Hi all,

It’s new computer time, and here is what I want on the computer.

1.       A numeric key pad with decent separation between it, and the rest of the keyboard.

2.       An optical disk drive.

3.       At least an intel core 5 processor,

4.       Head phone jack, and I guess these days it’s a combo jack with microphone.

5.       Decent battery life.

6.       And anything else you might recommend. And any thoughts will be appreciated.

7.       Jim

Brian K. Lingard

Shalom Bill & List:

Trust you had a great Hanukkah. I am Reform. Like how I can choose my observance level and my maker will understand.

Sounds like a wonderful large print keyboard.

main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf of Bill Tessore
Sent: Monday, Jamari\]up keyboard.

Shalom Brian K. Lingard, PS I am a convert. Like the outlook on life. The goyem would be better off if they had a steaming hot cup of tea or coffee and a light smack with their bible studies. ary 6, 2020 11:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Cc: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: It's new computer time and I am looking for advice.

I got a USB enabled ZoomText keyboard for my laptop . The keys are much more well separated, larger than the laptop’s and the characters are bold, large, and highly contrasted with the black keys.

Shalom,

Bill Tessore

On Jan 6, 2020, at 7:40 PM, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@...> wrote:

Hi all,

It’s new computer time, and here is what I want on the computer.

1.       A numeric key pad with decent separation between it, and the rest of the keyboard.

2.       An optical disk drives.

3.       At least an intel core 5 processor,

4.       Head phone jack, and I guess these days it’s a combo jack with microphone.

5.       Decent battery life.

6.       And anything else you might recommend. And any thoughts will be appreciated.

7.       Jim

Mike B

Hi Jim,

The Jaws-Users list was shutdown many months ago.  The new email list / group that was started to take its place is called, jfw-users@groups.io, and you can subscribe to this list using the link below.

It’s new computer time, and here is what I want on the computer.

1.       A numeric key pad with decent separation between it, and the rest of the keyboard.

2.       An optical disk drive.

3.       At least an intel core 5 processor,

4.       Head phone jack, and I guess these days it’s a combo jack with microphone.

5.       Decent battery life.

6.       And anything else you might recommend. And any thoughts will be appreciated.

7.       Jim

Chris Hill

One thing you might not have considered is that many laptops no longer have a separate key for the applications (the thing sighted people think of as the right click menu).  Some have a key combination with the fn key and right control key to do the same thing.  Most laptop keyboards are awkward for anyone with other than small hands, and key separation ranges from okay to horrible.  I really suggest buying locally if at all possible, a laptop that may be fine for one person might annoy someone else.  If you can get by without portability, get a desktop, then you can plug in a real keyboard and good speakers more easily.

On 1/6/2020 21:40, Jim Rawls wrote:

Hi all,

It’s new computer time, and here is what I want on the computer.

1.       A numeric key pad with decent separation between it, and the rest of the keyboard.

2.       An optical disk drive.

3.       At least an intel core 5 processor,

4.       Head phone jack, and I guess these days it’s a combo jack with microphone.

5.       Decent battery life.

6.       And anything else you might recommend. And any thoughts will be appreciated.

7.       Jim

A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then a laptop is probably a better choice.

It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just connect it.

The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset.

I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I can go most places in my house with them.

If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more.

I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, both sixth generation,  and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an 8th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC.

Best regards,

Sieghard

[...]

I used to use a laptop a lot, but with the advent of an iphone, the portability isn't of much use to me anymore.  I take mine on vacation, and that's about it.  Having fewer usb ports on a laptop means each one is going to end up getting more wear.  If one finds themselves constantly plugging and unplugging multiple devices, a cheap hub may be in order.  I think people have defaulted to the laptop as computer scenario, even though phones have made moving a computer around something that may be a lot less necessary than it used to  be.

Sad thing is that even some modern desktops don't come with things like built-in dvd drives.  You really have to check the specs on whatever you plan on buying.

Keyboards have become more and more of an issue.  Not only are things like the application keys going away, but many desktop keyboards have no key spacing and are horrible.  I bought one of the gaming keyboards, it has all the keys, is supposedly spill proof, and was the best $60 I have spent in a long time.

On 1/7/2020 09:35, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
> > A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do > or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then > a laptop is probably a better choice. > > It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether > wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like > the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just > connect it. > > The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers > or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset. > > I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to > trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, > but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a > Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I > can go most places in my house with them. > > If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a > mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they > are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of > course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of > RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more. > > I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago > bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, > both sixth generation, and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the > other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an > 8^th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC. > > > > Best regards, > > Sieghard > > > > *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Chris > Hill *Sent:* Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 AM *To:* > main@jfw.groups.io

Maria Campbell

My preference for laptops was Toshiba, but they are hard to get these days at reasonable prices.  I now have a Lenovo, which is OK, with a numbers pad and DVD drive.  I use an external keyboard or blue tooth one.  I don't mind carrying it in a computer bag when I travel.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

[...]

Zel Iscel

Hi all,

My laptop and mobile phone comprise my mobile office. I travel in and out of Australia with them. Consequently, I buy small laptops with no DVD player and no numeric keypad. I don’t like to carry too many things so I don’t use an external keyboard either.

Probably needless to say but portability is important for me, as well as speed. I used to be a Toshiba fan too Maria, but I find they’re no good now. Last year I bought a ruggedised HP ProBook 640 G4 with 16GB RAM, and it’s working very well. It’s a little heavier than what I’d usually get but I believe that’s because of the AMD graphics card it comes with. I didn’t want Intel this time because it relies on the processor and thus slows down the computer. Graphics cards such as AMD, operate separately from the processor so the laptop is a lot faster.

The laptop wasn’t cheap but I couldn’t run my business without it so I don’t mind investing money on a good one.

So my advice when buying a new computer is to really think about what you’re going to do with it and what features you need to do what you’re going to do with it.

Hope that helps.

Zel

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,

In all fairness, when was the last time you actually bought anything on a disk? I have blank dvds from 7 years ago that still haven’t been used up. Unless you watch movies – and in that case, a portable USB dvd drive would be perfect, and cost $10. That way, when you don’t actually use it, you’re not carrying that extra half a pound to a pound constantly.

Phones can’t do everything – if I had to use my phone every day I’d be missing out on tons. Browsing the web on an iPhone is horrifically inefficient – having to use the rotor to find the item I want to jump by, then actually trying to jump by that item, is done so much quicker on any modern laptop or desktop computer with a single keypress. Don’t get me started on apples horrible audio streams and how audio can get interrupted by the smallest thing in 2020 or how multiple audio streams still can’t be a thing. My Lenovo, luckily, still has an applications key, but I’ve noticed more and more that certain things like websites are requiring simulated clicks of the mouse (good luck performing that on any mobile device, too). I really like the layout of the function keys on this machine too – I hate this new design where they are all laid out together with no spacing to separate the various groups.

I don’t think there are any less USB ports on computers than there were 4 years ago – unless you get one with all USB C ports. Mine still has 2 USB A ports along with 2 USB C. I have a USB hub which I keep hard drives and things plugged into, but it’s just a 3 port one and is not externally powered and I rarely use all 3 ports. My Toshiba from 2013 had 3 USB A ports with only one being 3.0 and it is still going today. Despite what many people claim, older machines with solid state drives are still perfectly useable – this has a 3rd generation core i5 that still speedily does everything one could ask in an office environment, so the huge core i7’s are certainly not going to get you any further ahead. In ultra low voltage scenarios, they’re only at most 10% faster than their i5 counterparts. The core i9’s that are coming out now are, in some cases, slower than the i7’s they’re meant to beat. Intel is really dropping the ball the last year.

Still, when crunch time comes, I’ll take a computer over a phone any day of the week, any time. A phone is nice to quickly, forgive the wording, but glance at – but when I want to get work done, a computer is hard to beat.

I used to use a laptop a lot, but with the advent of an iphone, the portability isn't of much use to me anymore.  I take mine on vacation, and that's about it.  Having fewer usb ports on a laptop means each one is going to end up getting more wear.  If one finds themselves constantly plugging and unplugging multiple devices, a cheap hub may be in order.  I think people have defaulted to the laptop as computer scenario, even though phones have made moving a computer around something that may be a lot less necessary than it used to  be.

Sad thing is that even some modern desktops don't come with things like built-in dvd drives.  You really have to check the specs on whatever you plan on buying.

Keyboards have become more and more of an issue.  Not only are things like the application keys going away, but many desktop keyboards have no key spacing and are horrible.  I bought one of the gaming keyboards, it has all the keys, is supposedly spill proof, and was the best $60 I have spent in a long time.

On 1/7/2020 09:35, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
> > A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do > or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then > a laptop is probably a better choice. > > It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether > wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like > the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just > connect it. > > The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers > or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset. > > I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to > trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, > but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a > Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I > can go most places in my house with them. > > If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a > mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they > are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of > course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of > RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more. > > I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago > bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, > both sixth generation, and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the > other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an > 8^th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC. > > > > Best regards, > > Sieghard > > > > *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Chris > Hill *Sent:* Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 AM *To:* > main@jfw.groups.io

Tyler Wood

Very much this. I’d also recommend physically looking at laptop keyboard layouts if you can before buying. I refuse to buy a laptop if I don’t like the layout of its keyboard – having to plug in or connect an external keyboard when out and about especially seems extremely counter intuitive to me when I want portability. Where to put the laptop and where to put my full sized keyboard when I want to actually use it and only have my lap to place it on?

This is just me personally, though – do what works for you – but having a mini desktop computer and a laptop is a fantastic idea, especially if you can just unplug the things you want from the desktop, like headsets or keyboards, and take them with you, even if it’s to another part of the house, for use on the laptop.

[...]

You have some good points here. I am going out this afternoon to see what I find out. I wouldn’t ever get a laptop without checking out the keyboard first. Jim

[...]

I agree with you on all points here. I am not a fan of my IPhone, and always like surfing on my current laptop. I am not a good user of the IPhone. I prefer a windows computer over anything apple has to offer. That’s just me, and if someone likes their mac better, good for them. I’m going out this afternoon to see what I see. Jim

I used to use a laptop a lot, but with the advent of an iphone, the portability isn't of much use to me anymore.  I take mine on vacation, and that's about it.  Having fewer usb ports on a laptop means each one is going to end up getting more wear.  If one finds themselves constantly plugging and unplugging multiple devices, a cheap hub may be in order.  I think people have defaulted to the laptop as computer scenario, even though phones have made moving a computer around something that may be a lot less necessary than it used to  be.

Sad thing is that even some modern desktops don't come with things like built-in dvd drives.  You really have to check the specs on whatever you plan on buying.

Keyboards have become more and more of an issue.  Not only are things like the application keys going away, but many desktop keyboards have no key spacing and are horrible.  I bought one of the gaming keyboards, it has all the keys, is supposedly spill proof, and was the best $60 I have spent in a long time.

On 1/7/2020 09:35, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
> > A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do > or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then > a laptop is probably a better choice. > > It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether > wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like > the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just > connect it. > > The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers > or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset. > > I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to > trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, > but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a > Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I > can go most places in my house with them. > > If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a > mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they > are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of > course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of > RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more. > > I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago > bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, > both sixth generation, and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the > other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an > 8^th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC. > > > > Best regards, > > Sieghard > > > > *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Chris > Hill *Sent:* Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 AM *To:* > main@jfw.groups.io

Chris Hill

It could be that the websites you use just don't work all that well on a phone.

 for what I do mobile, searching for information, and reading a few select websites, my iphone does it all. Many big websites also have apps, and for things like CNBC and Bloomberg, the apps are more accessible than using the websites even on a pc.

If I really want to dig into something, I prefer a real keyboard, and most laptops don't do it for me without an external keyboard.  I am currently using a gaming desktop.  It is complete overkill, but when I switched from my old desktop with a 4th- gen i5 to this Ryzen 7 3700, I definitely noticed the difference.  Everything just responded faster.  You can keep an older system going a long time by putting an ssd in it, and I'd recommend that before replacing a perfectly functioning computer made within the last 6-7 years, but once things get weird, you can't beat getting something powerful that you won't have to worry about hopefully for a long time.

On 1/7/2020 14:17, Jim Rawls wrote:

> [...]

> > A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do > or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then > a laptop is probably a better choice. > > It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether > wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like > the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just > connect it. > > The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers > or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset. > > I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to > trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, > but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a > Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I > can go most places in my house with them. > > If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a > mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they > are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of > course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of > RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more. > > I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago > bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, > both sixth generation, and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the > other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an > 8^th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC. > > > > Best regards, > > Sieghard > > > > *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Chris > Hill *Sent:* Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 AM *To:* > main@jfw.groups.io

Kelly Pierce

You do not need a built-in optical drive on a laptop. Just plug it in.
similar to a keyboard.

I recommend an i7 computer to compensate for the slight drag on
performance JAWS has on computers. Generally, people are pleased with
super duper speedy computers rather than mediocre ones.

Kelly

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
<main@jfw.groups.io> <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Chris
Hill *Sent:* Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 AM *To:* >
main@jfw.groups.io
<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

Tyler Wood

Ryzen’s are definitely climbing up there in terms of performance. There is a new Ryzen 4th generation laptop processor that is being shown off at some point in the coming days at CES so if you can put off buying a machine until then, you’ll see some great engineering.

There are a few apps that make mobile browsing nice, but by and large navigation on the web is inefficient compared with a pc if we’re talking Safari vs. Chrome or firefox. But not even that – general productivity is worse off for a few things – especially if you’re having to navigate between apps, or if an app like zoom is running and in a call and you can’t listen to an audio clip because of the iPhone’s silly restrictions. Of course – that’s apple. Android has more ability and openness to do these things but comes with its own set of issues. Still though. Mobile has truly come a long way – something I will always miss, though, are Nokia phones. Remember when the mobile version of youtube would load in seconds on a phone from 2008?

There are some super nifty looking machines out now – the GPD Micro and pocket are little powerhouses that have 6 and 7 inch screens, respectively. Not that that is what you’re looking for in particular, but it’s an all in one device complete with a keyboard – it’s hard to beat, and is even pocket sized, mostly. Hopefully one day we get Windows 10 on a device of that size that is affordable and also can make and receive phone calls. We’ve almost got it on Android with the Windows 10 your phone app. I can be on the other end of the house from my phone and be texting as though it was right in front of me. Who needs a $1500 Macbook pro? It apparently will be able to make and receive phone calls, too, and it can also see all of your phone notifications on the pc with the ability to customize what apps are allowed to cast them over.

I used to use a laptop a lot, but with the advent of an iphone, the portability isn't of much use to me anymore.  I take mine on vacation, and that's about it.  Having fewer usb ports on a laptop means each one is going to end up getting more wear.  If one finds themselves constantly plugging and unplugging multiple devices, a cheap hub may be in order.  I think people have defaulted to the laptop as computer scenario, even though phones have made moving a computer around something that may be a lot less necessary than it used to  be.

Sad thing is that even some modern desktops don't come with things like built-in dvd drives.  You really have to check the specs on whatever you plan on buying.

Keyboards have become more and more of an issue.  Not only are things like the application keys going away, but many desktop keyboards have no key spacing and are horrible.  I bought one of the gaming keyboards, it has all the keys, is supposedly spill proof, and was the best $60 I have spent in a long time.

On 1/7/2020 09:35, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
> > A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do > or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then > a laptop is probably a better choice. > > It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether > wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like > the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just > connect it. > > The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers > or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset. > > I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to > trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, > but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a > Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I > can go most places in my house with them. > > If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a > mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they > are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of > course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of > RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more. > > I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago > bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, > both sixth generation, and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the > other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an > 8^th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC. > > > > Best regards, > > Sieghard > > > > *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Chris > Hill *Sent:* Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 AM *To:* > main@jfw.groups.io

Michael Munn

I recently purchased a new computer for my self and The model is an HP NVX360 convertible  running the latest I7 processor with the 8GB of Ram and 256 GB of SSD.I would recommend a PC with SSD instead of HDD. This is just my opinion.
Best Regards
Michael Munn

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Virginia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

www.nfbv.org

www.hadley.edu

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 10:32 PM Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:

> [...]

> > A lot of people don’t ever take their laptop anywhere, but if you do > or even just like to bring it to different places in your house then > a laptop is probably a better choice. > > It’s no more difficult or hard to plug an external keyboard whether > wired or wireless into a laptop and if you use a Bluetooth one like > the Logitech K780 then you don’t even have to plug it in, just > connect it. > > The same goes for speakers, you can easily plug in external speakers > or, once again, you could use a Bluetooth headset. > > I do have a laptop at home because I do occasionally bring it to > trade shows I attend or when I go on holidays for longer than a week, > but at home it almost always sits in my office plugged in and I use a > Logitech K780 and a Logitech H800 headset, both are Bluetooth and I > can go most places in my house with them. > > If I didn’t want a laptop from time to time I could easily have a > mini PC at home, those are my preference at my business because they > are small, virtually silent and they do all I need them to do. Of > course if you want a higher performance one with an I7 CPU, 16Gb of > RAM and a 512Gb SSD they may cost a bit more. > > I used to have a few of the Intel NUC mini PC’s, but a few years ago > bought two HP EliteDesk 800 G2, one with an I5 and one an I7 CPU, > both sixth generation, and by now I only have 1 Intel NUC left, the > other 3 are all HP with the latest being the EliteDesk 800G4 with an > 8^th generation I7 CPU and it’s a great little PC. > > > > Best regards, > > Sieghard > > > > *From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Chris > Hill *Sent:* Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:24 AM *To:* > main@jfw.groups.io

Mike, how do I do a jaws repair? I am getting a message that says, the display driver for jaws did not install well. You need to do a jaws repaoir. How do I do that? Jim

The Jaws-Users list was shutdown many months ago.  The new email list / group that was started to take its place is called, jfw-users@groups.io, and you can subscribe to this list using the link below.

It’s new computer time, and here is what I want on the computer.

1.       A numeric key pad with decent separation between it, and the rest of the keyboard.

2.       An optical disk drive.

3.       At least an intel core 5 processor,

4.       Head phone jack, and I guess these days it’s a combo jack with microphone.

5.       Decent battery life.

6.       And anything else you might recommend. And any thoughts will be appreciated.

7.       Jim

Chris Hill

I think all you need do is find the jaws install file and run it.  If you don't have it,  find out what version you are running, download the install file and run it.