moderated Issue with Outlook 2016 and Jaws not announcing the deletion of keys since Jaws version 2021 release and subsequent updates

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So this issue I first noticed after Jaws 2021 came out and has been present with every release since then. I even wrote Vispero about it a couple of weeks ago and after getting a response to my email that the problem could not be reproduced by whoever dealt with my submission, I even reached out via telephone to try to show jaws tech support by doing a tandem session. Of course my luck, when I tried reproducing the issue, everything worked fine. In fairness, this issue doesn’t happen 100% of the time, but more like 80 to 90%.

Anyway, the issue is that when I’m in the notes section of an open appointment and backspace to delete whatever it is I want to get rid of, Jaws says nothing. Complete silence. I have to do a say line or say word back and forth to make sure I haven’t deleted too much or simply find out where I am. Same goes for pressing the delete key to erase the current character. The odd thing is that if I backspace or delete in a subject line of an appointment or the different files for time date or location, Jaws behaves as always by announcing the deleted characters. When I’m in an outlook message composing a message, the deletion behavior usually works fine. The few times where I’ll experience the deletion silence in an Outlook message is if I immediately compose a message right after closing a calendar appointment or work on some copied and pasted text from the notes section in the body of an email. Even when I’m in the actual notes tab of Outlook, everything works as expected with Jaws speaking what I’m deleting when in a note.

This behavior is on both my machines so I’m pretty sure it’s not something particular to one computer’s set up and again, it only started after Jaws 2021 came out.

Is anyone else dealing with this by any chance?

Cristóbal

Deletion of characters and not keys I meant…

Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 8:45 PM
Subject: Issue with Outlook 2016 and Jaws not announcing the deletion of keys since Jaws version 2021 release and subsequent updates

Hello list,

So this issue I first noticed after Jaws 2021 came out and has been present with every release since then. I even wrote Vispero about it a couple of weeks ago and after getting a response to my email that the problem could not be reproduced by whoever dealt with my submission, I even reached out via telephone to try to show jaws tech support by doing a tandem session. Of course my luck, when I tried reproducing the issue, everything worked fine. In fairness, this issue doesn’t happen 100% of the time, but more like 80 to 90%.

Anyway, the issue is that when I’m in the notes section of an open appointment and backspace to delete whatever it is I want to get rid of, Jaws says nothing. Complete silence. I have to do a say line or say word back and forth to make sure I haven’t deleted too much or simply find out where I am. Same goes for pressing the delete key to erase the current character. The odd thing is that if I backspace or delete in a subject line of an appointment or the different files for time date or location, Jaws behaves as always by announcing the deleted characters. When I’m in an outlook message composing a message, the deletion behavior usually works fine. The few times where I’ll experience the deletion silence in an Outlook message is if I immediately compose a message right after closing a calendar appointment or work on some copied and pasted text from the notes section in the body of an email. Even when I’m in the actual notes tab of Outlook, everything works as expected with Jaws speaking what I’m deleting when in a note.

This behavior is on both my machines so I’m pretty sure it’s not something particular to one computer’s set up and again, it only started after Jaws 2021 came out.

Dan Longmore

Hi,

There are a lot of oddities with Outlook and JAWS.  I have not experienced this particular issue however JAWS crashes more , since new version, with Outlook.

As Outlook is a very reliable and stable program I am prone to believe the problem lies with JAWS.

Hopefully JAWS will seek out Microsoft to troubleshoot and fix these annoying issues.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 11:45 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Issue with Outlook 2016 and Jaws not announcing the deletion of keys since Jaws version 2021 release and subsequent updates

Hello list,