moderated isolating text in a particular colour in word

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I use Word 16, JAWS 2021, Win 10.

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Justin Williams

Call AIRA, and have them help you mark all the text in blue.

I'm not sure you can get the color search exclusive even in skeems or something.

I'd also try having the text pur into track changes.

I've had trouble with that also, and that is how I got around that.

Justin

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Artur Räpp

Hi,

Did you check is the text really blue on white background ? Blue, and deep blue and blue-green are different colors for JAWS but might be the same for a person.

Move to the text and press JAWS key+num row 5.

Advanced Find in Word is quite powerful and can search for text with specified color. The steps are a bit complicated.

May be the text is highlighted? Sighted users say quite often “Look at blue text” but in fact text is black and the background is blue.

Solution: move to the text and check color with JAWS key+5.

Artur

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Hi Rahul,

I’m going to provide what I hope will help you locate blue text in your Word document. The instructions I’m providing were done on a system running Windows 10, Fusion 2020, and Word 2019 so if any of my steps differ from yours, it might be due to that. Also, when searching for colors, I’m assuming whoever marked the color in your document used the standard color blue and not some derivation thereof.

From the top of the Word document containing the blue text, do the following:

  1. Press ctrl + h to open the find and replace dialog.
  2. You should be located In the find what text box but you can press alt + n to move there and type an * which is a wildcard to find anything.
  3. Press alt + m to open the more options.
  4. Press alt + u to tick the box to use wildcards.
  5. Press alt + o to open the Format drop-down list and arrow to Font and press enter.
  6. Press alt + c to open the Font color drop-down box and down arrow until you hear Standard colors and then right arrow to blue and press enter.
  7. Tab to the Ok button and press enter.
  8. Press alt + f to initiate the find next and you should be taken to the first occurrence of blue text in your document.
  9. Press esc to close the find and replace dialog so you can repeatedly press shift + F4 to navigate to the next occurrences of blue text within the document.

I hope this helps but write back if the steps are confusing, don’t work, or if you have more questions.

Alan Lemly

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Alan,
Those are very good instructions.
I think Jaws can tell the user what the font color is as well, so if the person using your steps can find a character in some of the text, they can first find the exact color.
Glenn

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Hi Glenn,

That is good to know and I'll file it away in case I ever come across any customized colors in a document.

Alan

On Jul 4, 2022, at 1:29 PM, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I believe it is insert + #5 on the number row.
Glenn

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Justin Williams

Thank you for the answer to the question, I will file this away?

How do you keep finding the next occurrence of the color?

Alt f takes me into the file menu?

Can you please explain?

Again,

Thank you.

Justin

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Glenn / Lenny

F3 is the command for the next occurrence of the last search.
Glenn

I would like to be able to isolate, in a word document, all the text that is in blue. That is the text that I need to study. I am not able to do this.

I have created a skim reading rule with blue is the text colour and white as the background colour. JAWS keeps ticking on pressing control+caps+down arrow after creating the rule. But does not read out any text. It finally says 'no matches found'. I know for a fact that there is some blue text in the document. Can someone help, please?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Justin,

When the fine and replace options are all set and the dialog is still open, pressing alt+f will find the first occurrence of the colored letter. You need to press escape to close the find dialog and then you can repeatedly press shift +F4 to move through the next occurrences.

Good luck.

Alan

[...]

Thanks, all. I really appreciate it. I have figured out that the colour is dodger blue 3. Where I am getting stuck is this. In the find and replace box, after I open a list of colours, I am not able to find dodger blue 3 there. I am wondering what the quickest way to get to the desired colour is. First letter navigation does not work.

Rahul

On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 at 00:15, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike B.

Hi Rahul,

Dodger Blue is called, Pantone 294,  or  PMS 294.  I doubt this will help, I thought I would throw it out there in case it does.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Ann Byrne

Awesome instructions!  Skim reading with JAWS will search for colors as well.