moderated Is there dramatic changes to windows10 most recent version

kevin meyers

Hi,

None of my function keys work in any Office 2016 applicaation. I had Microsoft Accessibility to see if they could turn off media keys and they couldn’t.

Any thoughts of what I could do?

Cheers,

Kevin

On most machines, media keys have absolutely nothing to do with Windows, and everything to do with UEFI/BIOS version.

Has your machine recently undergone a BIOS update?  Is your current BIOS version way out of date?  That's what I'd be checking first.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Phillip Gross

Do you know the key combination for turning off the media keys on your specific model of computer? If not, Google it. If you Have tried this I’m sorry.

kevin meyers

I worked with Microsoft Accessibility yesterday and they couldn’t figure it out. She had me use be my eyes. First she had me press f2 many times while the laptop was booting up. That didn’t work we then did f10 many times and that didn’t work. We then used the function key with f2 and then f10. That didn’t work. I noticed that it had opened over 20 Excel windows. We then got into BIOS going through windows settings. She had me enable the function key. That didn’t do anything. Okay now what?Prior to that I couldn’t get Outlook to work. I had created a backup of Outlook on my old laptop by doing a export. Then I used import on the new laptop to bring it in. All but one email address stayed the same. The main one is now called Outlook data file and not the email address. Thanks Microsoft Accessibility! Now what?

Thanks,

Kevin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 10:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there dramatic changes to windows10 most recent version

On most machines, media keys have absolutely nothing to do with Windows, and everything to do with UEFI/BIOS version.

Has your machine recently undergone a BIOS update?  Is your current BIOS version way out of date?  That's what I'd be checking first.
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

My serious proposal as far as "now what" is:

1.  Do a full system image backup (if possible) of your system so you have it.

2.  Do a backup of all user data which, if necessary, can be done via copy and paste to another drive.

3.  Collect your installers for any programs you use on an external drive.

4.  Then try Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

You have a system that is well and truly hosed, and based on your description of what this particular Microsoft Accessibility tech did I don't think she did you any favors whatsoever (which does happen, sometimes).

You would be better off to start with a clean slate as it is impossible to know where the proverbial pot has been stirred at this point.

After the computer is up and running again you should make sure that the latest BIOS/UEFI for that machine is installed.  The support pages at your computer's manufacturer's website will have this.
--

~ William Plomer

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I would probably call back Microsoft Accessibility, not all of the people who answer there are equal and just as with any tech guy in a store you sometimes get one who knows less than another.

Sent: September 28, 2021 8:16 AM

2.  Do a backup of all user data which, if necessary, can be done via copy and paste to another drive.

4.  Then try Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

You have a system that is well and truly hosed, and based on your description of what this particular Microsoft Accessibility tech did I don't think she did you any favors whatsoever (which does happen, sometimes).

You would be better off to start with a clean slate as it is impossible to know where the proverbial pot has been stirred at this point.

After the computer is up and running again you should make sure that the latest BIOS/UEFI for that machine is installed.  The support pages at your computer's manufacturer's website will have this.
--

~ William Plomer

Sherri

I’m interested in this, as I may be facing the same problem.  I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble, but I do use this one for work.  Could you please explain a “full system image backup”?  Thank you.

Sherri

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 11:16 AM

--

~ William Plomer

Bill White

Hi, Kevin. What make and model is your laptop? I'll look on Google, and see if I can find out how you get into UEFI (BIOS) with that particular make and model of laptop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 7:39 PM
Subject: Is there dramatic changes to windows10 most recent version

Hi,

None of my function keys work in any Office 2016 applicaation. I had Microsoft Accessibility to see if they could turn off media keys and they couldn’t.

Cheers,

Kevin

Ben Moxey

Hey Kevin

Just to clarify that this issue isn’t something to do with Office, what result do you get in general when you use F1 to F12? To test, navigate to the desktop and press the JAWS key + F12. Does JAWS announce the time as expected? If not, press the JAWS key + Function key + F12.

If you didn’t have to hold the Function key, then it’s all configured the way you want it and something else is happening in Office.

If you did have to hold the Function key, you might be lucky enough to have a laptop that has a keyboard combination to switch this behaviour; as others have suggested. For example, on my Dell, you can press Function + Escape, and on my work HP, you can press Function + Left Shift.

To find out the model of your computer:

1. Press windows + R to load the Run box.
  2. Type “msinfo32” to load System Information and press Enter.
  3. Tab once into the System Summary list and down arrow to System Model.

Post the model name/number to the list and one of the crew here will see if a keyboard command exists. If there isn’t one and you do need to go into the UEFI setup, Sieghard makes a great point about the Microsoft accessibility team. You might have more luck the second time around.

All the best and good luck!

Ben

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Tuesday, 28 September 2021 12:39 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Kevin

kevin meyers

Hi Bill, Microsoft Accessiblity finally figured it out. My function keys work without having to press the FN key.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 11:49 AM

Hi, Kevin. What make and model is your laptop? I'll look on Google, and see if I can find out how you get into UEFI (BIOS) with that particular make and model of laptop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 7:39 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Kevin

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 08:48 PM, kevin meyers wrote:
My function keys work without having to press the FN key.
-
I am really not trying to be snarky here, but what is there to "figure out."  When you turn off media keys the precise purpose is to make the function keys work as function keys without the use of the Fn modifier key.  Once media keys are disabled, the use of the Fn modifier key makes the respective function key do its media function.

What you describe is just perfectly normal behavior when media key (or whatever the manufacturer calls it, HP uses Action Keys) functions are disabled in BIOS/UEFI.

--

~ William Plomer

kevin meyers

I was able to work with someone at Microsoft Accessibility to make the change. It was hard to figure out what they were doing as there was a Rooster crowing in the back ground. I’m not kidding! I know they did it through windows and not the BIOS.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ben Moxey
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 6:59 PM

Hey Kevin

Just to clarify that this issue isn’t something to do with Office, what result do you get in general when you use F1 to F12? To test, navigate to the desktop and press the JAWS key + F12. Does JAWS announce the time as expected? If not, press the JAWS key + Function key + F12.

If you didn’t have to hold the Function key, then it’s all configured the way you want it and something else is happening in Office.

If you did have to hold the Function key, you might be lucky enough to have a laptop that has a keyboard combination to switch this behaviour; as others have suggested. For example, on my Dell, you can press Function + Escape, and on my work HP, you can press Function + Left Shift.

Post the model name/number to the list and one of the crew here will see if a keyboard command exists. If there isn’t one and you do need to go into the UEFI setup, Sieghard makes a great point about the Microsoft accessibility team. You might have more luck the second time around.

Ben

Hi,

Cheers,

Kevin

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

You all have to be a bit more open mined here. Much of Microsoft support is out of the Philippines even high level support for my Microsoft Dynamics point of sale software was and these were highly trained, competent people. Because of COVID-19 many call centre employees were set up to work from at home and this is not always as easy as it would be here since it is not usual in the Philippines that people have or can afford high speed internet, most just use their cell phone data or maybe have a smarthub of some sort. Anyhow, many companies paid for employees to have a good internet connection so they can work from at home, but this means you may hear a rooster because if you are in in western Canada or the western United States there is a 15-hour time difference to the Philippines, if you are Eastern time it is 12 hours. Therefor if you call Microsoft Accessibility at Noon in the West you are talking to agent at 3 AM local time and this is typically when the roosters start crowing. My wife is from the Philippines and I have been there many times and that is just a fact of life since a lot of people have chickens there even in the cities. Of course it used to be like that here as well but that is so long ago that people in our society are not used to it, instead we are used to sirens at all hours of the day and all sorts of other man-made noises.

Sent: September 29, 2021 6:43 AM

I was able to work with someone at Microsoft Accessibility to make the change. It was hard to figure out what they were doing as there was a Rooster crowing in the back ground. I’m not kidding! I know they did it through windows and not the BIOS.

Hey Kevin

Ben

Hi,

Cheers,

Kevin

David Diamond

Well, speaking for myself, yes, when calling MS help, I have heard chickens in the background or specifically a rooster.  I found it amusing.  The main thing was, the agent was not distracted by it.  I say this because one time when phoning Amazon around 10 AM PST, I heard children and the TV in the background and could tell the agent was more interested in the children and TV then she was, helping me with a problem. It sounds strange but, the COVID 19 or at least working from home has vastly decreased the wait time on hold with a lot of these places.  Now if we could just get them to learn the difference between hockey and football we’d be making leaps and bounds in their education.  LOL. I’m trying to get a sporting package and some agents tell me it is available, then accidently hang up on me, or they say it is not available.  It all most depends on who you talk too. There is a big difference between the NFL and NHL. The long and short of all of this is, I don’t care who I’m talking too as long as they know what they are doing, are not distracted by other things and are clearly understood and they understand what I want or need.      

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 10:52 AM

You all have to be a bit more open mined here. Much of Microsoft support is out of the Philippines even high level support for my Microsoft Dynamics point of sale software was and these were highly trained, competent people. Because of COVID-19 many call centre employees were set up to work from at home and this is not always as easy as it would be here since it is not usual in the Philippines that people have or can afford high speed internet, most just use their cell phone data or maybe have a smarthub of some sort. Anyhow, many companies paid for employees to have a good internet connection so they can work from at home, but this means you may hear a rooster because if you are in in western Canada or the western United States there is a 15-hour time difference to the Philippines, if you are Eastern time it is 12 hours. Therefor if you call Microsoft Accessibility at Noon in the West you are talking to agent at 3 AM local time and this is typically when the roosters start crowing. My wife is from the Philippines and I have been there many times and that is just a fact of life since a lot of people have chickens there even in the cities. Of course it used to be like that here as well but that is so long ago that people in our society are not used to it, instead we are used to sirens at all hours of the day and all sorts of other man-made noises.

Sent: September 29, 2021 6:43 AM

Hey Kevin

Ben

Hi,

Cheers,

Kevin