From: Richard B. McDonald [mailto:richardbmcdonald@gmail.com]
To: <jfw@groups.io>
Date: Monday, February 22, 2021, 2:42 PM
Subject: Is some script set besides "Symphony" better to use with Libre Office?
Hi!

I am using JAWS 2020, Windows 10 and Libre Office 7.1 (LO).  Natively,
JAWS points to the “Symphony” application for the script set it uses for
LO.  Given the many years that have lapsed since Symphony was active and
the commensurate progression of LO, is there a better application script
set for to point to; maybe even just “Default?”  if so, how do you go
about making that change?

Thanks,

Richard

JM Casey

JAWS is based almost entirely on its scripts. If you don't get any extra
ones from the internet or elsewhere, you are just using ones that come witht
eh software -- there are many, pretty much all the applications that are
listed in the help topics for jaws have got a script set, and since that
application help is not updated too often, they have probably added more
recently, too that I'm not aware of.
Third-party scripts are just that, third-party scripts, based on the same
principle.
The Symphony scripts are a part of the JFW software. I don't know if anyone
has created third-party scripts...if not, then that is probably the best you
will get. That doesn't mean the scripts haven't been updated since the days
of Symphony (a really long time ago); just that Symphony is a generic
catch-all term now for everything under the Open Office model/umbrella.

where can the scripts be gotten from, I thought scripts for JAWS weren't
necessary anymore?

I am using JAWS 2020, Windows 10 and Libre Office 7.1 (LO).  Natively, JAWS
points to the “Symphony” application for the script set it uses for LO.
Given the many years that have lapsed since Symphony was active and the
commensurate progression of LO, is there a better application script set for
to point to; maybe even just “Default?”  if so, how do you go about making
that change?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard B. McDonald

I looked at the actual scripts for Symphony. They have not been updated
since 2015; meaning about the time Symphony went away. So, since Libre
Office has been continually morphing and updating since that time, I still
wonder if there may be some other script set or application to which it
ought to be associated.

where can the scripts be gotten from, I thought scripts for JAWS weren't
necessary anymore?

I am using JAWS 2020, Windows 10 and Libre Office 7.1 (LO).  Natively, JAWS
points to the “Symphony” application for the script set it uses for LO.
Given the many years that have lapsed since Symphony was active and the
commensurate progression of LO, is there a better application script set for
to point to; maybe even just “Default?”  if so, how do you go about making
that change?

Thanks,

Richard

JM Casey

Hmm.yeah, but I don’t' think the interface has changed much. I could be
wrong.
If there are other scripts theya re probably made by a third party and I'm
not aware of them. I suspect there aren't any. Up to some clever person(s)
to create them.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 03:30 PM, JM Casey wrote:
JAWS is based almost entirely on its scripts.
-
This cannot be stated often enough.  A huge amount of JAWS functionality is not a part of its core code, but of scripts.

There's nothing wrong with this model, but if you stripped JAWS of the script sets it ships with, you'd not have anything you recognize as JAWS.

By the way, scripts generally only need to be updated if something "entirely new" is put into the user interface.  And by that I don't mean a new bell or whistle that's in an existing control set, as that just adds an item that would be traversed and accessed like all the other ones.  Many scripts for many things, though not all, will not receive frequent updates because they don't need them.

           ~ André Gide