moderated Is "Eloq.sbl" Still Applicable?

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hi, it's Annabelle.
Is "Eloq.sbl" still applicable in later versions of JAWS like JAWS 2021? The reason why I'm asking this is because I want to add some characters that JAWS seems to ignore when I type them. Particularly things like smileys and characters of foreign languages like Japanese, Russian, Hebrew, and Greek. By the way, what's the difference between "Eloq.sbl", "Eloqmain.dct", and "Eloquence.vpf"?

Hareth

Hi Annabelle,
"Eloq.sbl" works for me, I've edited it many years back to read Arabic
in a way I understand on the fly and real quick without having to
change the tts voice to anything other than eloquence. But I don't use
the user data directory.
Instead I replace it with the default one in the:
"C:\ProgramData\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\20xx\SETTINGS\eloq.sbl"
replace the "xx" with 21 in your case and open the folder as:
"C:\ProgramData\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2021\SETTINGS\"
Paste the file and replace it following the prompts, that would do it.
TC

On 6/30/22, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@...> wrote:
Hi, it's Annabelle.
Is "Eloq.sbl" still applicable in later versions of JAWS like JAWS 2021? The
reason why I'm asking this is because I want to add some characters that
JAWS seems to ignore when I type them. Particularly things like smileys and
characters of foreign languages like Japanese, Russian, Hebrew, and Greek.
By the way, what's the difference between "Eloq.sbl", "Eloqmain.dct", and
"Eloquence.vpf"?

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hey Hareth!
Interesting name by the way. Is it like a version of Harry? I tried editing the file you described, but nothing changed! Not even editing the "Symbol Descriptions.txt" file did anything either. What do I do next?

On 06/30/2022 11:25 PM Hareth <hareth4m@...> wrote:

[...]

My name is a mid eastern one I don't think its another version.
you don't need to work on the file in its default directory. make a
copy for that purpose to other place then make your changes, then take
it back and replace it. also make a backup copy for the original one.
And If you have another eloq.sbl file and made changes on it or
you can test your work with changing the pronunciation of a single
symbol and save it then replace the file with the one in the directory
I've mentioned earlier, just make sure to take a copy of the original
one as a backup somewhere else.

Here is a sample of how I did edit it and it still works,
you can do it if you know which line to edit.
I had a reference to all Arabic letters within the eloq.sbl file from
someone back then that made it much easier for me to work on it.
below the sample lines, you See the last "word" in each line that's
what eloquence pronounces when encounter an Arabic character I've
edited them to my liking using note pad.

symbol55=U+631 11111111 reh
symbol56=U+632 11111111 zeh
symbol57=U+633 11111111 seh
symbol58=U+634 11111111 sheh
symbol59=U+635 11111111 sah
symbol60=U+636 11111111 dhdheh
symbol61=U+637 11111111 ta
symbol62=U+638 11111111 dheh
symbol63=U+639 11111111 aa
symbol64=U+63a 11111111 gheh
symbol65=U+640 11111101 teh
symbol66=U+641 11111111 ffeh

TC

On 7/1/22, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@...> wrote:
[...]

I wonder, what's the difference between "Eloq.sbl", "Eloqmain.dct", and "Eloquence.vpf"?

On 07/01/2022 7:56 AM Hareth <hareth4m@...> wrote:

[...]

To be honest, I have no idea!
What I know is the .sbl file is the one to play with successfully.
[...]

In the example lines you provide, What do the numbers stand for? I'm referring to the part where the numbers say "11,111,111".

On 07/01/2022 9:35 AM Hareth <hareth4m@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what they stand for.,
Those I haven't change. they were there prior to any editing done, All
I did is changing the last word in each line.

wrote:
Hi, it's Annabelle.
Is "Eloq.sbl" still applicable in later versions of JAWS like
JAWS
2021?
The
reason why I'm asking this is because I want to add some
characters
that
JAWS seems to ignore when I type them. Particularly things like
smileys
and
characters of foreign languages like Japanese, Russian, Hebrew,
and
Greek.
By the way, what's the difference between "Eloq.sbl",
"Eloqmain.dct",
and
"Eloquence.vpf"?

Annabelle Susan Morison

I wonder how I would change the pronunciation of characters like "🫢", "🤫", "🤬", and the like? For example, I want "🤫" to say something like "Shushing Face". Would I put something like:
symbol109=U+1f92b 11111111 Shushing Face

wrote:
Hi, it's Annabelle.
Is "Eloq.sbl" still applicable in later versions of JAWS like
JAWS
2021?
The
reason why I'm asking this is because I want to add some
characters
that
JAWS seems to ignore when I type them. Particularly things like
smileys
and
characters of foreign languages like Japanese, Russian, Hebrew,
and
Greek.
By the way, what's the difference between "Eloq.sbl",
"Eloqmain.dct",
and
"Eloquence.vpf"?

Glenn / Lenny

Annabelle,
I just used Jaws dictionary manager to change it to "shushing", as a test.
Glenn

wrote:
Hi, it's Annabelle.
Is "Eloq.sbl" still applicable in later versions of JAWS like
JAWS
2021?
The
reason why I'm asking this is because I want to add some
characters
that
JAWS seems to ignore when I type them. Particularly things like
smileys
and
characters of foreign languages like Japanese, Russian, Hebrew,
and
Greek.
By the way, what's the difference between "Eloq.sbl",
"Eloqmain.dct",
and
"Eloquence.vpf"?

Soronel Haetir

The format of a symbol line is given near the top of the file:

;keys starting with symbol have the following format:
;symbolN=char flags text
;where N is an incrementing number (as you add symbols to the table),
;char is the symbol being represented
;flags are four groups of two bits, from left to right, two for all,
two for most, two for some and two for none.
; These sets of flags correspond to the four punctuation levels
supported by JAWS.
; The two bits represent (from left to right) whether pronunciation
text at the end of the rule should be inserted and the
;second bit represents whether the symbol itself should be removed
from the stream
;The final field, text, is the text to be spoken when bit 1 of any
group of two bits is set, ie the text to be spoken for
;the symbol.
; Some symbols also have the actual symbol appended after the text to
ensure that specific synthesisers still honour the
;punctuation symbol when processing intonnation because a space would
otherwise be
;inserted after the text causing the inserted symbol to stand alone
and thus not necessarily be honoured by the synth.

The flags field allows you to set those two items differently for each
level of punctuation echo.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hey Glenn!
I've tried that before, but I'm thinking of doing this in the "Eloq.sbl" file, as it worked before in previous versions of JAWS.

wrote:
Hi, it's Annabelle.
Is "Eloq.sbl" still applicable in later versions of JAWS like
JAWS
2021?
The
reason why I'm asking this is because I want to add some
characters
that
JAWS seems to ignore when I type them. Particularly things like
smileys
and
characters of foreign languages like Japanese, Russian, Hebrew,
and
Greek.
By the way, what's the difference between "Eloq.sbl",
"Eloqmain.dct",
and
"Eloquence.vpf"?

Soronel Haetir

One note, I do suggest making changes in the user file rather than
default because changes to the default can be lost any time you update
to a new jaws build.

On 7/1/22, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@...> wrote:
Hey Glenn!
I've tried that before, but I'm thinking of doing this in the "Eloq.sbl"
file, as it worked before in previous versions of JAWS.
On 07/01/2022 10:12 AM Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:

Annabelle,
I just used Jaws dictionary manager to change it to "shushing", as a
test.
Glenn
I wonder how I would change the pronunciation of characters like "🫢",
"🤫",

wrote:
[...]

What's strange is I can get it to work in earlier versions of JAWS like JAWS 15, but JAWS 2021 doesn't seem to have the same parameters. At least not what I understand. I add something to the "Eloq.sbl" in JAWS 2021, and nothing changes. Mind you, I do this in the user version of the file. What have I done wrong?

wrote:
[...]

True! I do replace it whenever jaws gets an update installed.
But worth to say, it works better with all the changes with the
default app data file. the user data folder sometimes doesn't apply or
the changes on the sbl file or doesn't work effectively all together.
I do change a spare copy of the sbl file to be copied and replaced
every time needed to the default program data.
TC

wrote:
[...]

I tried that too, but nothing changes.