moderated Interesting Phenomena

Raymond Bishup

I am using JAWS 2021, latest version.  I am using Microsoft Office 2019.  Just today, when I open a new email or blank document in Word or Outlook, I cannot use my arrow keys to see info in the document.  If I open a new email, I use to be able to press arrow keys and it would indicate “blank” for each blank line until it got down to the signature portion of the email.  Now, it does not read anything.  Furthermore, when I press f7 to spell check, it does not always read the choices.  It is like the screen echo or something has changed.  What has happened?  What can I do to fix this?  If I am not making myself clear, please email me back and I will attempt to clarify.  Thanks!

Raymond Bishop, NV9B

Philippians 4:6-7

**** Be kind to your email friends. If you forward this, please remove all previous addresses before you send it on and use the BCC area when forwarding to several friends. ****

Shirley Tracy

Hi Raymond,

It sounds like you are using the same as I have—Windows 10 latest version and MS Office 2019. I am not experiencing the things you described. Perhaps there is a setting that can change things. I don’t know enough to know what it might be. Maybe someone else here can help.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

[...]

You are correct.  So, hopefully, some one can figure out what setting(s0 I might have inadvertently changed.

[...]

Mike B.

On another list there are others reporting the same issue you're having, but no fix for it.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

I am glad I am not the only one.  I thought I was going crazy. Thanks!

[...]

Richard Turner

Check in Word, your settings under Options for Show the Start screen when this application starts check box.  You want that not checked.

Press alt+f then t for options and it is on the general tab so just start tabbing to get t to  it.

I don’t know if that is the problem child but it may be.

Another one to check is on the Save category in the options:

ALT+s
Don’t show the Backstage when opening or saving files with keyboard shortcuts check box‑ checked‑ ‑

You want that checked if it isn’t.

I am using Microsoft 365 so this is all just an educated guess.

HTH,

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

[...]

This is almost certainly about a major Outlook outage secondary to a bug released today: Microsoft Outlook bug prevents viewing or creating email worldwide

           ~ André Gide

Al Sorrentino

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully, I just received a fix for this problem from Debi Chatfield, a very good friend.  Let’s hope it works for all?

Al,

Can you pass the below info to the list? Thanks!

Here is a fix for the issue of not being able to arrow up or down within an email. I just tried this, and it works great!

  1. Highlight Outlook on your desktop.
  2. Press your applications key.
  3. Arrow down to Properties.
  4. Press enter.
  5. You will land on “Target”. Go to the end of that file path.
  6. After the Quote symbol, press the space bar.
  7. Type forward slash (/)
  8. Type nopreview (no spaces)
  9. Should look like this: ------” /nopreview
  10. Tab to the okay button.
  11. Press enter.

[...]

Lori Lynn

I’m not certain that this will resolve your issue, but thought I’d toss it out to try. I’ve had something similar happen. I would open a document that I knew had text in it and JAWS read nothing as if it was blank. When I checked I found the document was not maximized. Once I changed that everything worked fine.

Good Luck

Lori Lynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi all,

Maximizing the window is always a good idea, for example pressing Windows+Uparrow.

Another thing I would try is to activate the alternate user mode. By using this mode you disable all settings you made yourself and using only standard settings. This is to find out if a JAWS setting is responsible for this. In German version of JAWS the key to turn on and off this mode is pressing JAWS+Space and then Z (may be in English versions this could be Y instead, I don't know, sorry)

By the way, in the first email to this subject it was said that the text is on screen but the screenreader couldn't speak the text whereas the reported Outlook bug from Microsoft is about seeing not text on screen for people with eyesight so maybe this are different problems.

Good luck
Udo

Am 12.05.2021 um 13:02 schrieb Lori Lynn <grandma.lori@...>:

I’m not certain that this will resolve your issue, but thought I’d toss it out to try. I’ve had something similar happen. I would open a document that I knew had text in it and JAWS read nothing as if it was blank. When I checked I found the document was not maximized. Once I changed that everything worked fine.

Good Luck

Lori Lynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mike B.

In English it's, Insert + spacebar, let up then press, Z , as well.

Hold down the, Insert key, then press the, spacebar, to activate the layered keystroke feature then press the letter, Z.  This will temporarily bypass
your settings and put Jaws into it's factory default settings mode.  This keystroke is a toggle so, press the key combination sequence again to go back
to your personal settings.

Temporary bypass using current User Settings and use JAWS factory default = Z.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

[...]

Thank you to everyone for the ideas.  We will just have to see if the bug is fixed and whether or not that is the case.  It is frustrating that it seems to affect some but not all.  Thanks again.  Take care.