moderated interacting with google calendars using jaws

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I use JAWS 2021 and Google Chrome Version 100.0.4896.127. 

When trying to make a calendar appointment, JAWS keeps losing focus when I have to select date and time. I have to force it to come back to the time and date that I want it to select. Do you know why this happens? How can I fix this?

Rahul

Curtis Chong

Hello:

“When trying to make a calendar appointment, JAWS keeps losing focus when I have to select date and time. I have to force it to come back to the time and date that I want it to select. Do you know why this happens? How can I fix this?”

Honestly, I just enter the date and time directly instead of trying to pull dates and times from a list. So, for a date, enter mm/dd/yy. For a time enter something like “10:00 pm”. A date of March 5, 1980, would be entered as 03/02/1980.

I find Google Calendar online to be very useful except that I often have to tab quite a bit to get to the Description field.

All the best,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 4:50 AM
To: main <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: interacting with google calendars using jaws

Hi,

When trying to make a calendar appointment, JAWS keeps losing focus when I have to select date and time. I have to force it to come back to the time and date that I want it to select. Do you know why this happens? How can I fix this?

Rahul

Jeff Christiansen

Rahul

When placing dates into your Google appointments, either use up and down arrows, with right or left arrows.

Otherwise, just type the numeric values into the edit fields, as Curtis indicated. Do not use  read-next-word, or previous-word, Control+RightArrow & Control+LeftArrow, when interacting with times and dates.

As to the description edit field, use the virtual cursor to locate that edit field, using JAWS, the letter E  while using the virtual cursor.

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 11:57 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: interacting with google calendars using jaws

Hello:

“When trying to make a calendar appointment, JAWS keeps losing focus when I have to select date and time. I have to force it to come back to the time and date that I want it to select. Do you know why this happens? How can I fix this?”

Honestly, I just enter the date and time directly instead of trying to pull dates and times from a list. So, for a date, enter mm/dd/yy. For a time enter something like “10:00 pm”. A date of March 5, 1980, would be entered as 03/02/1980.

I find Google Calendar online to be very useful except that I often have to tab quite a bit to get to the Description field.

All the best,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

Rahul

Jeff Christiansen

I want to make a small correction.

The title edit field is the only edit field available initially, when setting up your Google appointment.

To find the description edit field you first need to locate the description button. This area is collapsed  and needs to be expanded before trying to locate the edit field.

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 1:10 PM
To: 'main@jfw.groups.io' <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: RE: interacting with google calendars using jaws

Rahul

When placing dates into your Google appointments, either use up and down arrows, with right or left arrows.

Otherwise, just type the numeric values into the edit fields, as Curtis indicated. Do not use  read-next-word, or previous-word, Control+RightArrow & Control+LeftArrow, when interacting with times and dates.

As to the description edit field, use the virtual cursor to locate that edit field, using JAWS, the letter E  while using the virtual cursor.

Hello:

All the best,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

Rahul

Curtis Chong

Hello:

“To find the description edit field you first need to locate the description button. This area is collapsed  and needs to be expanded before trying to locate the edit field.”

This is not my experience using Google Calendar with Chrome. Of course, I do have to turn off the JAWS Virtual Cursor (insert z) when creating an event. With the virtual cursor off, I press C to create the appointment and then tab a bunch of times to get to the time/date fields, the location field, and the description field.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Christiansen
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 1:57 PM

The title edit field is the only edit field available initially, when setting up your Google appointment.

To find the description edit field you first need to locate the description button. This area is collapsed  and needs to be expanded before trying to locate the edit field.

Rahul

Hello:

All the best,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

Rahul

Amir Shah

Hi I am a jaws user, and I was wandering if you or anyone on the list use  jaws and dragon together.

If so how is it and what is the out come of it.

Because I am trying to perches dragon for my self.

Can you please send this email to everyone on  the  list.

Thank you

Amir Shah

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 1:02 PM

Hello:

“To find the description edit field you first need to locate the description button. This area is collapsed  and needs to be expanded before trying to locate the edit field.”

This is not my experience using Google Calendar with Chrome. Of course, I do have to turn off the JAWS Virtual Cursor (insert z) when creating an event. With the virtual cursor off, I press C to create the appointment and then tab a bunch of times to get to the time/date fields, the location field, and the description field.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Rahul

Hello:

All the best,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

Rahul

Jeff Christiansen

Curtis

I see, we have slightly different ways of doing this.

According to how you create the appointment, focus lands in the title edit field.

Assuming you have typed the title  or not, use, Insert+Z, now NumPadPlus to return to virtual cursor & Shift+E.

You are now on the description edit field.

Otherwise, you would indeed have to tab are crazy amount to get to the description edit field.

I prefer using the virtual cursor when interacting with Google calendar.

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 2:16 PM

Hi I am a jaws user, and I was wandering if you or anyone on the list use  jaws and dragon together.

Thank you

Amir Shah

Hello:

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Rahul

Hello:

All the best,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

Rahul

Curtis Chong

Hello Jeff:

Thank you so much for this tidbit of wisdom. Using the Google Office Suite, I have been so conditioned to turn off the Virtual Cursor that I forgot to remember my own advice to my students, that being to know when to mix and match the use of the Virtual Cursor depending on which approach maximizes your productivity.

Thanks so much for the reminder.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 3:17 PM

Curtis

I see, we have slightly different ways of doing this.

According to how you create the appointment, focus lands in the title edit field.

Assuming you have typed the title  or not, use, Insert+Z, now NumPadPlus to return to virtual cursor & Shift+E.

You are now on the description edit field.

Otherwise, you would indeed have to tab are crazy amount to get to the description edit field.

I prefer using the virtual cursor when interacting with Google calendar.

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 2:16 PM

Thank you

Amir Shah

Hello:

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Rahul

Hello:

All the best,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

Rahul