moderated Insert + Escape, when to use it?

Mark

I was just introduced to Insert + Escape.  This does the following:
Repaints all currently displayed items on the screen.
However, I don't understand the sort of scenarios where I would use this. Can someone describe them?

Adrian Spratt

Here’s a non-techy understanding. You’re probably familiar with the F5 refresh process. The JAWS insert-escape command refreshes a screen in the sense that JAWS catches up with what is displayed on the screen. Often when JAWS can’t find something on a webpage that you’d expect to find there, insert-escape will enable JAWS to find it. I use the command many times daily.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 6:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Insert + Escape, when to use it?

However, I don't understand the sort of scenarios where I would use this. Can someone describe them?

Glenn / Lenny

The thing is, I have never had a problem with Jaws finding something on a refreshed page.
But on web pages, I just use control F, not insert control F and that works well.
I only use insert with it when I'm searching through an eMail message, because obviously, control F typically would forward the message.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: Insert + Escape, when to use it?

Here’s a non-techy understanding. You’re probably familiar with the F5 refresh process. The JAWS insert-escape command refreshes a screen in the sense that JAWS catches up with what is displayed on the screen. Often when JAWS can’t find something on a webpage that you’d expect to find there, insert-escape will enable JAWS to find it. I use the command many times daily.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

Shirley Tracy

Please forgive this silly question, but when referring to the insert key, do you all mean the JAWS key or the Enter Key? I’m digging through my memory and can’t remember.

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 10:05 AM

--

Glenn / Lenny

LOL
I always refer to the Jaws key as the insert key.
I could see where one could mix up insert with enter,
after all, when you enter, you are affectively inserting something to the computer.
But when some folks say Jaws, they mean insert, and caps lock if Jaws is in laptop layout.
Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 1:28 PM

Please forgive this silly question, but when referring to the insert key, do you all mean the JAWS key or the Enter Key? I’m digging through my memory and can’t remember.

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

Mike B.

Hi Shirley,

It's the JAWS key.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 11:28 AM

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

David Diamond

Yes.  It does get confusing.  When I saw the subject line, I thought why not just call it the jaws key.  I think with NVDA, it is referred to as the NVDA key. Shirley, we all have brain cramps or fog at times.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: May 18, 2022 11:34 AM

Hi Shirley,

It's the JAWS key.

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

David Diamond

Well, perhaps I’m wrong to do so, however, I have a wireless desktop keyboard connected to my laptop.  Thus set JAWS to desktop mode. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny

LOL

after all, when you enter, you are affectively inserting something to the computer.

But when some folks say Jaws, they mean insert, and caps lock if Jaws is in laptop layout.

Glenn

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

Dan Yates

Not wrong or right, just whatever works! Lol

On May 18, 2022, at 3:34 PM, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@...> wrote:

Well, perhaps I’m wrong to do so, however, I have a wireless desktop keyboard connected to my laptop.  Thus set JAWS to desktop mode. 

LOL

Glenn

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

Shirley Tracy

Thank you.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 3:31 PM

Yes.  It does get confusing.  When I saw the subject line, I thought why not just call it the jaws key.  I think with NVDA, it is referred to as the NVDA key. Shirley, we all have brain cramps or fog at times.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.

Hi Shirley,

It's the JAWS key.

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

Glenn / Lenny

I use laptop mode for all keyboards.

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 2:34 PM

LOL

Glenn

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

Marie Nelson

Someone posted an alternative keystroke to normalize the function keys. There was a key along with the left arrow. I thought I had save the post but …? Could you please re-post?

Thanks so much,

Marie

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 8:58 PM

I use laptop mode for all keyboards.

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 2:34 PM

LOL

Glenn

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

--

Ann Byrne

Insert+escape has two functions: one to redraw the screen, the other to set low or muted volume to 50%. So. If your volume is so low you can't adjust it, pressing insert+escape will set it to 50%.

Sweet!

Adrian Spratt

Add one more function: This key combo unmutes sound even if the window with the sound muted isn't in focus. Not so sweet because I use the combo a lot to repaint screens, and half the time I do, suddenly I'm barraged by music.

I've brought the conflict to FS/Vispero's attention many times, but all in vain.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2022 8:59 PM

Insert+escape has two functions: one to redraw the screen, the other
to set low or muted volume to 50%. So. If your volume is so low you can't adjust it, pressing insert+escape will set it to 50%.

Sweet!

Mike B.

Hi Adrian,

Take a look at the JAWS keyboard manager and maybe you can reassign a keystroke or two so this doesn't happen.

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2022 6:41 PM

Add one more function: This key combo unmutes sound even if the window with the sound muted isn't in focus. Not so sweet because I use the combo a lot to repaint screens, and half the time I do, suddenly I'm barraged by music.

I've brought the conflict to FS/Vispero's attention many times, but all in vain.

to set low or muted volume to 50%.  So.  If your volume is so low you can't adjust it, pressing insert+escape will set it to 50%.

Sweet!

Justin Williams

How do you do that with the screen refresh as the main keystroke?

Is that a jaws passthrough key?

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2022 12:44 AM

Hi Adrian,

Take a look at the JAWS keyboard manager and maybe you can reassign a keystroke or two so this doesn't happen.

to set low or muted volume to 50%.  So.  If your volume is so low you can't adjust it, pressing insert+escape will set it to 50%.

Sweet!

Mike B.

Hi Justin,

Look in the Default dictionary manager.  I haven't looked because I'm not experiencing any problems and that's why I said, * maybe * , you can change this keystroeke.

You do have a good idea if it can be done, using the bypass keystroke, then pressing another key sequence. 

But, I just don't know how to assign a keystroke to be performed after invoking the bypass keystroke can be done using the JAWS keyboard manager.

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2022 10:03 PM

How do you do that with the screen refresh as the main keystroke?

Is that a jaws passthrough key?

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2022 12:44 AM

Hi Adrian,

Sweet!

Josh Kennedy

if you don't want your sound unmuted when you hit the refresh screen command, then you have to modify the jaws refreshScreen script in script manager by first opening the script manager, press alt+f then down arrow to open shared file, and open the default.jss file. then look for the script that is called, refreshScreen. Inside that script there is a line that says something like unmute sound card. select and delete that line of the script then hit control s to save and recompile the script which will then save it as a user script and that will take priority over your shared jaws scripts. Now close script manager and restart jaws if you hear the message compile complete. And now that the unMute sound card line is out of there, jaws should not unmute sound every time you want to refresh the screen. Now if you want to get more complicated than that, you may be able to add a condition to the script and so the script will check and see if anything such as mucic is playing and if it is, then jaws will not unmute sound card, but if it is not, then jaws will ttry unmuting the sound card. but I am not advanced enough with scripting to know how to do that. 

ratshtron

Just place a semi-colon at beginning of that line.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2022 7:41:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

if you don't want your sound unmuted when you hit the refresh screen command, then you have to modify the jaws refreshScreen script in script manager by first opening the script manager, press alt+f then down arrow to open shared file, and open the default.jss file. then look for the script that is called, refreshScreen. Inside that script there is a line that says something like unmute sound card. select and delete that line of the script then hit control s to save and recompile the script which will then save it as a user script and that will take priority over your shared jaws scripts. Now close script manager and restart jaws if you hear the message compile complete. And now that the unMute sound card line is out of there, jaws should not unmute sound every time you want to refresh the screen. Now if you want to get more complicated than that, you may be able to add a condition to the script and so the script will check and see if anything such as mucic is playing and if it is, then jaws will not unmute sound card, but if it is not, then jaws will ttry unmuting the sound card. but I am not advanced enough with scripting to know how to do that. 

Ann Byrne

Another way to negate a command in a script is to put a semicolon at the beginning of the line before compiling. that way if you ever want the command back, it's available.

At 07:41 AM 5/21/2022, you wrote: