Topics

moderated index basic-d

david

Hello;

I'm trying to help a friend connect his Basic-D to his windows 10 computer.

his embosser is connected to computer using USB.

I have installed the latest index drivers.

My questions,

how to get the printer to show in the devices and printers,

and, what port to use.

I assume I need to setup manually.

not sure what to do from there,

I see 13 choices of ports, not sure which one to choose.

in advance, thanks for any help.

Richard Turner

What embossing software?

Richard

On Jun 23, 2020, at 5:27 AM, david <davidmac1957@...> wrote:

Hello;

I'm trying to help a friend connect his Basic-D to his windows 10 computer.

his embosser is connected to computer using USB.

I have installed the latest index drivers.

My questions,

how to get the printer to show in the devices and printers,

and, what port to use.

I assume I need to setup manually.

not sure what to do from there,

I see 13 choices of ports, not sure which one to choose.

in advance, thanks for any help.

david

He's using Duxbury 12.1.

I'm trying to help a friend connect his Basic-D to his windows 10 computer.

his embosser is connected to computer using USB.

I have installed the latest index drivers.

My questions,

how to get the printer to show in the devices and printers,

and, what port to use.

I assume I need to setup manually.

not sure what to do from there,

I see 13 choices of ports, not sure which one to choose.

in advance, thanks for any help.

Richard Turner

If the below info doesn’t help, you probably should write to support@...

This is from the Duxbury site:

Note: The Windows process below is normally specific to a particular USB port. You should choose a USB port which you will always use to connect your embosser. Before you add a "printer" as documented below, make sure you first close DBT. (You want to launch it after this step so that it will notice the new printer driver you just installed.)

You now need to "Add a Printer," which is done in the normal way in Windows. In particular, you should select "Local Printer," and specifically NOT ask Windows to detect the printer automatically.

You will then be asked to select a printer port. From the drop down list of ports, look for "USB### (Virtual Printer Port for USB)," where ### will be a USB port number. If more than one USB port appears in the list, and the newly purchased cable for this purpose was the last thing you connected to the computer's USB ports then choose the port with the highest number.

At the next dialog, you will be asked to select a printer. In this case, from the Manufacturer list select "Generic," and from Printers list select "Generic /Text Only" as shown below.

You will be asked to name your printer, and at this point, we suggest you enter a meaningful name by adding "(Brailler on USB Port)" - or the like - to the name suggested by Windows.

Eventually, the process will ask if you wish to print a test page. We suggest you answer "Yes". Provided you have selected the correct port, this test will emboss about two pages of test data. What is important is that you get the output, not the braille itself. The braille is likely to be untranslated.

You are now ready to set up your embosser inside DBT. The full instructions for configuring a new embosser are covered in Global: Embosser Setup. However, there is one helpful point to add to that discussion. In the General Tab, Output Options section of that dialog, select your newly installed embosser using the "Send to Printer" selection as shown below.

We suggest you test the installation with a short document to ensure that you have correctly configured your embosser

Richard