moderated Inappropriate Forms Mode?

Dennis Brown

I let the update feature update my 2021 to the latest build, and now have a problem that isn’t in previous builds.

When I go to the Start menu search field, then type in Settings, it loads the Windows Settings app.

Navigating in that app, it acts as if forms mode automatically gets activated.

I don’t have auto forms mode set in my JAWS settings, but when I try to move left and right through the options, it gives me the forms mode sound, then moves character by character through the name of the option, not option by option.

Likewise, if I arrow down, I get the forms mode off sound

If I select an option with Enter, I get forms mode on sound, and can’t do squat with the selected option.

I dropped back to 2020, and no problem.

If I arrow through the Systems Tray, then select my network icon, it goes into forms mode, and I can’t do anything with that selection.

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

You’re talking about Windows 7, correct? It is no longer supported, the questioning why the current release of the software doesn’t work with it? Really?

On Oct 24, 2021, at 6:52 PM, Dennis Brown <dennistbrown@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Jim. Maybe Dennis is talking about Windows 7, but from where in his post do you get this idea. He said that he let the update feature update his JAWS to the latest build of JAWS, then he spoke of the Settings App. I don't think Windows 7 even had a Settings app. Only Windows 10 and 11 has a Settings app.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi, Dennis. The first thing I would have tried is a repair of JAWS 2021. I suspect that, if you relied on the migration feature of JAWS to bring your settings from JAWS 2020 forward to JAWS 2021, something may have been corrupted. I would try a JAWS 2021 repair, by downloading JAWS 2021 from Vispero. I never allow the automatic update process to update my JAWS. Instead, I get the latest installer, and go from there. Also, I wouldn't let the migration feature of JAWS change the settings in the latest build. Instead, make your custom settings directly within the latest build of JAWS 2021. I'll post the link to the latest JAWS 2021 installer below.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Windows 10, latest build.

[...]

This worked!  Thanks.  And, yes, it is Windows 10, latest build.

[...]

Howard Traxler

I don't know if he was talking about jaws.  He didn't say what was updated to 2021.  I thought maybe it was NVDA.  The subject line didn't even indicate the jaws list.

On 10/24/2021 6:37 PM, Bill White wrote:

[...]

Hi, Howard. What Dennis actually said was,

I let the update feature update my 2021 to the latest build, and now have a problem that isn’t in previous builds.

When I told him he should repair JAWS, he wrote me in a later email that it worked, and the problem was resolved.

[...]

Hi Bill.  I did the repair, and the problem is back.  Will uninstall the latest Jaws build and reinstall with vanilla settings and see if it happens.  Then I’ll start changing settings—maybe I can isolate the setting causing the issue.

Using     windows 10 latest build with JAWS 2021 latest build.

[...]

ratshtron

Windows 10, latest build.

<https://www.avg.com/internet-security>www.avg.com