moderated Inappropriate Forms Mode?

Dennis Brown

I let the update feature update my 2021 to the latest build, and now have a problem that isn’t in previous builds.

When I go to the Start menu search field, then type in Settings, it loads the Windows Settings app.

Navigating in that app, it acts as if forms mode automatically gets activated.

I don’t have auto forms mode set in my JAWS settings, but when I try to move left and right through the options, it gives me the forms mode sound, then moves character by character through the name of the option, not option by option.

Likewise, if I arrow down, I get the forms mode off sound

If I select an option with Enter, I get forms mode on sound, and can’t do squat with the selected option.

I dropped back to 2020, and no problem.

If I arrow through the Systems Tray, then select my network icon, it goes into forms mode, and I can’t do anything with that selection.

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

You’re talking about Windows 7, correct? It is no longer supported, the questioning why the current release of the software doesn’t work with it? Really?

On Oct 24, 2021, at 6:52 PM, Dennis Brown <dennistbrown@...> wrote:

I let the update feature update my 2021 to the latest build, and now have a problem that isn’t in previous builds.

When I go to the Start menu search field, then type in Settings, it loads the Windows Settings app.

I don’t have auto forms mode set in my JAWS settings, but when I try to move left and right through the options, it gives me the forms mode sound, then moves character by character through the name of the option, not option by option.

If I select an option with Enter, I get forms mode on sound, and can’t do squat with the selected option.

If I arrow through the Systems Tray, then select my network icon, it goes into forms mode, and I can’t do anything with that selection.

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Bill White

Hi, Jim. Maybe Dennis is talking about Windows 7, but from where in his post do you get this idea. He said that he let the update feature update his JAWS to the latest build of JAWS, then he spoke of the Settings App. I don't think Windows 7 even had a Settings app. Only Windows 10 and 11 has a Settings app.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 4:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Inappropriate Forms Mode?

You’re talking about Windows 7, correct? It is no longer supported, the questioning why the current release of the software doesn’t work with it? Really?

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Bill White

Hi, Dennis. The first thing I would have tried is a repair of JAWS 2021. I suspect that, if you relied on the migration feature of JAWS to bring your settings from JAWS 2020 forward to JAWS 2021, something may have been corrupted. I would try a JAWS 2021 repair, by downloading JAWS 2021 from Vispero. I never allow the automatic update process to update my JAWS. Instead, I get the latest installer, and go from there. Also, I wouldn't let the migration feature of JAWS change the settings in the latest build. Instead, make your custom settings directly within the latest build of JAWS 2021. I'll post the link to the latest JAWS 2021 installer below.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Brown
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 3:52 PM
To: JFW List
Subject: Inappropriate Forms Mode?

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Dennis Brown

Windows 10, latest build.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 7:27 PM

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Dennis Brown

This worked!  Thanks.  And, yes, it is Windows 10, latest build.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 8:22 PM

Hi, Dennis. The first thing I would have tried is a repair of JAWS 2021. I suspect that, if you relied on the migration feature of JAWS to bring your settings from JAWS 2020 forward to JAWS 2021, something may have been corrupted. I would try a JAWS 2021 repair, by downloading JAWS 2021 from Vispero. I never allow the automatic update process to update my JAWS. Instead, I get the latest installer, and go from there. Also, I wouldn't let the migration feature of JAWS change the settings in the latest build. Instead, make your custom settings directly within the latest build of JAWS 2021. I'll post the link to the latest JAWS 2021 installer below.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Brown
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 3:52 PM
To: JFW List
Subject: Inappropriate Forms Mode?

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Howard Traxler

I don't know if he was talking about jaws.  He didn't say what was updated to 2021.  I thought maybe it was NVDA.  The subject line didn't even indicate the jaws list.

On 10/24/2021 6:37 PM, Bill White wrote:

Hi, Jim. Maybe Dennis is talking about Windows 7, but from where in his post do you get this idea. He said that he let the update feature update his JAWS to the latest build of JAWS, then he spoke of the Settings App. I don't think Windows 7 even had a Settings app. Only Windows 10 and 11 has a Settings app.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Bill White

Hi, Howard. What Dennis actually said was,

When I told him he should repair JAWS, he wrote me in a later email that it worked, and the problem was resolved.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 7:50 PM

I don't know if he was talking about jaws.  He didn't say what was updated to 2021.  I thought maybe it was NVDA.  The subject line didn't even indicate the jaws list.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Dennis Brown

Hi Bill.  I did the repair, and the problem is back.  Will uninstall the latest Jaws build and reinstall with vanilla settings and see if it happens.  Then I’ll start changing settings—maybe I can isolate the setting causing the issue.

Using     windows 10 latest build with JAWS 2021 latest build.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 11:11 PM

Hi, Howard. What Dennis actually said was,

When I told him he should repair JAWS, he wrote me in a later email that it worked, and the problem was resolved.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 7:50 PM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Any ideas?

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

ratshtron

Dennis, have you tried pressing shift plus numpad plus to turn on touch cursor? that may help.
Legend has it that on Sunday 10/24/2021 08:22 PM, Dennis Brown said:
----------------------------------------

Windows 10, latest build.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2021 7:27 PM

On Oct 24, 2021, at 6:52 PM, Dennis Brown <<mailto:dennistbrown@comcast.net>dennistbrown@comcast.net> wrote:

Any ideas?

Dennis

<https://www.avg.com/internet-security>www.avg.com

----------------------------------------