IMAP e-mail filtering & classification - Gmail used as example

There have been a couple of threads lately where someone was looking to sort their e-mail into folders on their respective e-mail clients and could not figure out why it was refusing to allow that to happen.

I imagine that in most cases this is because the e-mail is being accessed via IMAP.  IMAP allows your e-mail to be virtually instantly synchronized across any devices that access it because all real processing of the mail occurs on the mail server, not in your e-mail client, and is propagated out to the client.  This includes applying filtering (which many people know as message rules, or similar) and sorting/classifying into bins/folders based upon same.

Here are two links to step-by-step instructions for creating filters and labels (the Gmail term for folders) on Gmail's Basic HTML web interface.  The first is in MS-Word 2010 format and the second is the same document converted to PDF.  Both are stored on Google Drive and I'd suggest doing a download before viewing as I don't find the Google Docs plug-in on most browsers to be particularly accessibility friendly.

Gmail IMAP step-by-step in MS-Word format

Gmail IMAP step-by-step in PDF format

I have tried to be as thorough as possible and have included alternate text and descriptions for the embedded images.  Feedback regarding these documents and how they might be improved would be appreciated.

Brian, who's had a productive Christmas day

karim sidi <karimsidi4@...>

hi i say thank you for this informecation of all as vi i wish to say a
happy 2016 new year to all

--
Karim Sidi
karimsidi4@...