From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Mike & Barbara In Arcadia
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:28 AM
To: JFW List
Subject: IE versus Firefox

Hi All,

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type, www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type, http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Adrian Spratt

Note. This shortcut works only in FF.

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian,

Thank you very much for this very helpful information. I figured out what I
was doing wrong. I was pressing,Control + O, for webpages, instead of,
Control + L. For those who might not know what I am talking about. In
Internett Explorer when you want to open a new webpage you invoke the
Control + o, keystroke, then type in the URL where you want to go & press
enter or, control + enter. In Firefox you invoke the, Control + L,
keystroke, then type in the URL you want & press enter or, control + enter.
Invoking the Control + O, keystroke in Firefox, is the keystroke for opening
specific files. Thanks again, take care.
Mike

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type, http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Adrian Spratt

Control-l in IE does the same thing as control-o in IE and as control-l in
FF. So I've made a habit of using control-l for both browsers.

To clarify what I wrote before, pressing control-enter after typing a web
address in Firefox saves you from having to type http://www. It doesn't work
in IE.

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type, http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian,

In IE if I invoke the Control +l or O keystroke, type in for example,
blind-computing.com, & press enter or control + enter, IE will take me to
the webpage but, I have to put the, .com, at the end but, I don't need to
put anything in front of, blind-computing.com. IE automatically puts the,
http://www. , in the front of the URL. At least, this is the way it works
for me. Take care.
Mike

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you
type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type,
http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in
Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Mike.

That's right, but I think it works only if it's a commonly visited website
or one in your history. Let's see if I can summarize what we've discussed,
with some additional information that has come to mind.

1. Control-l brings up the edit field in which to type a Web address in both
IE and Firefox. Control-o does the same in IE but not FF. So using control-l
in both cases avoids confusion.

2. In Firefox, you can save yourself having to type the http://www. Prefix
and .com if you just write the Website name and press control-enter. This
shortcut works only for .com addresses.

3. In most cases, it isn't necessary to write http://www. Before the Website
address whether in IE or FF. However, it may be necessary to write www.
Before addresses that are rarely visited and/or aren't in your history.
Also, beware of addresses that don't begin http://, such as high security
websites.

Is that a fair summary?

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you
type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type,
http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in
Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian,

By jove, I think you have nailed it! This summary will save me a lot of
time in typing my notes for future reference. Thanks a lot. Take care.
Mike

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you
type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type,
http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in
Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Don Wardlow <wardlows97@...>

FireFox is still very very slow and liable to crash for no reason. IE9 has its faults too.
only reason I keep FireFox is, it seems to download NLS books easier than IE9 does, and will let you download as many as 5 books at once, if you wanted to do that.

Don

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you
type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type,
http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in
Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Marsha <marcatony@...>

Hi
Now, I want to add confusion again. What is the difference between
control L and Alt D in using the address bar?

Marsha

Marsha <marcatony@...>

Hi
When FF works, it seems a lot faster than IE8.

Marsha

Smart Eze

Hello adrian,

A bunch of thanks for this very useful piece of information. I have
followed this thread with particular interest.

But what about using the tab system in IE when control+T will also open the
address bar to type in the URL address?

Best regards, smart

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you
type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type,
http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in
Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Adrian Spratt

Sorry to be dense, but I don't understand the question. I use control-t in
IE to open a new page while keeping the existing page open as well. I use
control-tab to switch between these pages.

Could you clarify?

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you
type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type,
http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in
Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Smart Eze

In IE 8, I press control+T to move to the address bar and enter the URL
address, then the control+tab to move between the opened pages.

Is that perhaps the same thing as you are saying?

Skip both the http and ww prefixes and press control-enter after you
type
the website name. I just checked with this address, and it worked.

When I am using IE & type in a URL, I only have to type,
www.jaws-users.com,

but, when I am running Firefox, I have to type,
http://www.jaws-users.com.
Can anyone tell me if there is something I can check or uncheck in
Firefox
that will put in the http:// for me automatically like IE does? All
advice
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, take care.
Mike

Adrian Spratt

It's what I was saying in an effort to get at your question. The point about
control-t is that it keeps the current page open. If you press control-l on
the current Webpage, that page will close when the new Webpage opens.