moderated IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

Hello All,

          Even though this message is not related to JAWS, the impact of this change is so important, and it is so likely to affect quite a few members who still use IE routinely, the information needs to be shared.  My intention is information sharing only, as there's really nothing to discuss.  This is a done deal.

See the article on techcommunity.microsoft.com entitled, Internet Explorer 11 desktop app retirement FAQ.

Those in business settings where they are forced to still use IE for specific sites also should pass this information along to "the powers that be" so that they can be aware of the change that's coming.

You need to start making plans to transition away from IE now, if you have not done so already.

           ~ André Gide

Loy

The blog said support would end, it did not say it would be removed.

          Even though this message is not related to JAWS, the impact of this change is so important, and it is so likely to affect quite a few members who still use IE routinely, the information needs to be shared.  My intention is information sharing only, as there's really nothing to discuss.  This is a done deal.

See the article on techcommunity.microsoft.com entitled, Internet Explorer 11 desktop app retirement FAQ.

Those in business settings where they are forced to still use IE for specific sites also should pass this information along to "the powers that be" so that they can be aware of the change that's coming.

You need to start making plans to transition away from IE now, if you have not done so already.

           ~ André Gide

kylee@...

Um … that means that it will no longer be updated, causing increasing holes in security.

Kylee

The blog said support would end, it did not say it would be removed.

          Even though this message is not related to JAWS, the impact of this change is so important, and it is so likely to affect quite a few members who still use IE routinely, the information needs to be shared.  My intention is information sharing only, as there's really nothing to discuss.  This is a done deal.

See the article on techcommunity.microsoft.com entitled, Internet Explorer 11 desktop app retirement FAQ.

Those in business settings where they are forced to still use IE for specific sites also should pass this information along to "the powers that be" so that they can be aware of the change that's coming.

You need to start making plans to transition away from IE now, if you have not done so already.

           ~ André Gide

Hi,

My guess is that internet Explorer will become invisible, but some of the underlying technologies such as MSHTML module will continue to be made available. I’m sure Vispero will clarify this, but JAWS will continue to interact with controls powered by IE’s rendering engine.

Cheers,

Joseph

The blog said support would end, it did not say it would be removed.

          Even though this message is not related to JAWS, the impact of this change is so important, and it is so likely to affect quite a few members who still use IE routinely, the information needs to be shared.  My intention is information sharing only, as there's really nothing to discuss.  This is a done deal.

See the article on techcommunity.microsoft.com entitled, Internet Explorer 11 desktop app retirement FAQ.

Those in business settings where they are forced to still use IE for specific sites also should pass this information along to "the powers that be" so that they can be aware of the change that's coming.

You need to start making plans to transition away from IE now, if you have not done so already.

           ~ André Gide

Hi,

At least two people pointed out on Win10 Forum that they need Internet Explorer, and I advised them to look into IE mode in Microsoft Edge designed for scenarios like accessing web applications that rely on IE and its rendering engine for full functionality.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:12 PM, Loy wrote:
The blog said support would end, it did not say it would be removed.
-
The phrase, and I quote, "go out of support and be retired."

For those of us in the IT biz, "retired" has a very clear and specific meaning:  It be gone.

           ~ André Gide

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:18 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
At least two people pointed out on Win10 Forum that they need Internet Explorer,
-
If that is true, and I believe it is, then they had better be raising holy hell with "the powers that be," because it's just not going to be there.

It is sad, very sad, that there are hold-outs that have been making IE compatible only stuff long past the time Microsoft clearly said that it was on borrowed time.  That clock is ticking very loudly now.

Anyone who thinks the statement, "But I neeeeeed it!," is going to make any difference whatsoever has either not paid attention to the history of computing or is very new to computing.  Things do simply go away.  And when you're told they are going away, you make definite plans to work with that fact.

Any entity using something tightly coupled to IE is either going to have to change that in the next year or have catastrophic failure in June 2022.  It really is that simple.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

That is why I still like 7, MS has left it alone.
I have found some things work best with IE, for example, my router configuration page, some of the buttons and links don't work with other browsers, but they do with IE.
Glenn

[...]

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:34 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
MS has left it [Win7] alone.
-
This is no advantage.  The definition of "out of support" means "left alone, zero, nada, zip updates, changes, security patches, anything."

But I'm not going to do the, "You simply don't use unsupported software if you have a lick of common sense," speech again.  A word to the wise should have long ago been sufficient.

           ~ André Gide

Hi,

There will come a time when Vispero will say, “sorry Windows 7/8.x users, you must now use Windows 10 in order to use JAWS”. I expect this statement will be made as early as 2023.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:34 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

MS has left it [Win7] alone.

-
This is no advantage.  The definition of "out of support" means "left alone, zero, nada, zip updates, changes, security patches, anything."

But I'm not going to do the, "You simply don't use unsupported software if you have a lick of common sense," speech again.  A word to the wise should have long ago been sufficient.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

Well even Jaws 2019 does all 7 needs it to do, I'm sure none of the Jaws updates over the past couple years have benefited 7 users.
Glenn

There will come a time when Vispero will say, “sorry Windows 7/8.x users, you must now use Windows 10 in order to use JAWS”. I expect this statement will be made as early as 2023.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:34 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

MS has left it [Win7] alone.

-
This is no advantage.  The definition of "out of support" means "left alone, zero, nada, zip updates, changes, security patches, anything."

But I'm not going to do the, "You simply don't use unsupported software if you have a lick of common sense," speech again.  A word to the wise should have long ago been sufficient.

           ~ André Gide

Hi,

I think it did to some extent, as some of the notable changes (including the just released May update for JAWS 2021) benefits users of productivity software that are still supported on Windows 7 to some extent. As I said though, there will indeed come a time when Vispero will insist that users upgrade to Windows 10, the earliest time that statement can be made will be 2023 when support for Windows 8.1 ends and extended security updates (ESU’s) for Windows 7 ends for enterprises.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

The only way they can insist is to make a product that refuses to run on 7, but if someone still has 2019, then they are fit for life with 7 if they wish.
Glenn

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:48 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
There will come a time when Vispero will say, “sorry Windows 7/8.x users, you must now use Windows 10 in order to use JAWS”. I expect this statement will be made as early as 2023.
-
I fully expect this, too.  Right now, unless one is using an old version of JAWS on an unsupported version of Windows (which would be XP or 7, at the moment), if you have backward compatibility in a more recent version of JAWS that's very likely an accident, not by design.

There is always an effort at backward compatibility, usually with the last OS version, and generally only for a relatively short period, 2 years at most, after a given version of Windows goes out of support.  You, as an NVDA developer (and any software developer, not just screen reader developers know this, too), know that it is neither economically feasible nor even reasonable to try to maintain backward compatibility "perpetually."  And why would anyone do that?  Users in institutional settings, business or educational, are what drives the development cycle and those organizations don't stand still.  They keep up with what's in support, from the operating system up through all application programs, if they're being responsible.

That's why I am genuinely appalled that there actually do still exist systems that are so tightly tied to long-dead IE-only conventions.  That's grossly irresponsible on the part of the makers of this stuff.  And for some who were "hanging on by a thread" for some years, this change will put them out of business, and the users of their products will be in a massive lurch.

Hence the reason I've already said that the one and only thing anyone should be doing is transition planning.  If your IE-Only product makers tell you, when you ask, that a non-IE-tied version is in the works prior to June 2022, then you can relax.  If they don't, then it's up to you to find an alternative in the next year, before the carpet is pulled out from under you.  And no one can say that this is a surprise, or at least all the readers here.  And heaven knows any software house had darned well better have someone with their "ear at the door" of Microsoft and listening to what's being said, and acting accordingly.  Whistling past the graveyard won't work here.  You'll land in a grave yourself.

I expect that third-party software support for Windows 8.1 will vanish very quickly once it goes out of support in 2023, and not just by Vispero.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

The only need for backward compatibility is for new software on an old system.
Browsers are the only thing that could be a problem, and I can't see that becoming an issue for a very long time.
I still use OE for eMail with no security concerns, as I'm mindful of how I use it and my browsers still have good security, except for IE, which I only use for a couple things.
But if people have a need for new software, then they might need windows 10.
I have windows 10 installed in a virtual machine inside my windows 7, and if there is ever anything I need 10 for, I could use that, but it rarely gets opened, as I mentioned, 7 is safe and still valid.
Glenn

[...]

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 11:08 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
7 is safe and still valid.
-
This sentiment is not shared, particularly the first part, by anyone who's an IT professional.

I really don't care what you, or any given individual, choose to do in your own world.  That really is entirely your choice, as you have to live with it and its consequences.

It is never, ever "safe" to use an out-of-support version of Windows.   It's just the opposite of "safe."  You may never have any issue, and very often that's just the proverbial "dumb luck."

           ~ André Gide

Hi,

At least older versions will run happily on Windows 7, that I agree.

Several things will force Vispero to make statements like the one I outlined:

  1. Software distribution channels: hypothetically, it is possible to package JAWS as a Windows Store application but only if JAWS can install accessibility display driver without triggering a reboot. This is the reason why JAWS cannot be used in Windows Sandbox and as a portable screen reader on the go unless the target system is restarted to finish installing the display driver.
  2. Intel raises its hands and declares that ARM64 processors are the future: this possibility is becoming clearer each day, as evidenced by software and hardware vendors embracing ARM processors. For now it might be possible to run JAWS under Windows 10 on ARM, but if Microsoft and Intel insists that everyone must use ARM, then there’s really no choice. Intel x86 is a strong seller, but ARM is already doing things better, and soon, either Intel or AMD will either move onto ARM or combine x86 with ARM in one chip. Windows 7 doesn’t support ARM processors – Windows 8.x and later does, with proper optimizations coming years later.
  3. Ransomware causes Windows 7 to fall on its knees: we came very close to that this month when parts of the oil industry came to a halt because one company, despite warnings from Microsoft, was using outdated software, which might have triggered all sorts of investigations afterwards. If ransomware and other malware can cause an application to buckle and thereby compromising data, how much would it be if someone decides to write the next WannaCry that will penetrate Windows 7 itself? But then as an often repeated saying goes, “history repeats itself,” and I expect IT security defenses to become a hot topic once more people are vaccinated and return to work.

There are other possibilities, something I think we might as well dedicate a new thread for them.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

When I look in my windows 7 updates, I see security patches coming in still, including security essentials.
And my browsers have a couple times given me warnings about sites that came up in a web search and kept them from opening.
And BTW, being a so called professional does not mean you are always right.
Glenn

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 11:08 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
7 is safe and still valid.
-
This sentiment is not shared, particularly the first part, by anyone who's an IT professional.

I really don't care what you, or any given individual, choose to do in your own world.  That really is entirely your choice, as you have to live with it and its consequences.

It is never, ever "safe" to use an out-of-support version of Windows.   It's just the opposite of "safe."  You may never have any issue, and very often that's just the proverbial "dumb luck."

           ~ André Gide

Ignorance is bliss . . .

Glenn / Lenny

Is that why you are so pleased with yourself?