Topics

moderated Identifying Capitalized Words in MS Word

Richard Chen <richlchen@...>

Hello,

I’m using MS Word, and I am trying to figure out if the Jaws sound schemes can be customized so that an entire word with the initial letter capitalized can be identified by pitch change or other sound? I know that the sound schemes can help you identify the first letter when a word is capitalized but when I’m proofreading documents as an attorney using “say all” I need to be able to identify if words in a sentence are capitalized more efficiently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mike B

Hi Richard,

Try the following to see if this setting change will help you with what you're trying to do:

1. While in Word press, Insert + 6, on the number row to open, Word Settings Center.

2. Down arrow to, Say all closed, and right arrow to open.

3. Down arrow to, Indicate Caps during Say All not checked, and press the spacebar to check this option.
note:  this option explained;  Select this check box to have JAWS announce capitalization when reading with Say All. JAWS announces "cap" for single capital letters, and "all cap" for capitalized words. This check box is cleared by default.

4. Tab to, Apply , press the spacebar, now tab to, Okay , and press enter to save / close.

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:56 PM
Subject: Identifying Capitalized Words in MS Word

Hello,

I’m using MS Word, and I am trying to figure out if the Jaws sound schemes can be customized so that an entire word with the initial letter capitalized can be identified by pitch change or other sound? I know that the sound schemes can help you identify the first letter when a word is capitalized but when I’m proofreading documents as an attorney using “say all” I need to be able to identify if words in a sentence are capitalized more efficiently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard Chen <richlchen@...>

Awesome. This works. Thanks Mike.

I’m using MS Word, and I am trying to figure out if the Jaws sound schemes can be customized so that an entire word with the initial letter capitalized can be identified by pitch change or other sound? I know that the sound schemes can help you identify the first letter when a word is capitalized but when I’m proofreading documents as an attorney using “say all” I need to be able to identify if words in a sentence are capitalized more efficiently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CJ &AA MAY

Is there a way of increasingly the degree of pitch change when Jaws is indicating a capital letter, as sometimes it isn’t very clear, and although your suggestion, Mike, would overcome this, I’d rather be notified by pitch change than the programme forever saying “cap”.

Alison

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:56 PM

Hello,

I’m using MS Word, and I am trying to figure out if the Jaws sound schemes can be customized so that an entire word with the initial letter capitalized can be identified by pitch change or other sound? I know that the sound schemes can help you identify the first letter when a word is capitalized but when I’m proofreading documents as an attorney using “say all” I need to be able to identify if words in a sentence are capitalized more efficiently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mike B

Morning Alison,

Try the following.  The steps below are for the Eloquence voice profile
1. Ppress, Jaws key + J, to open the Jaws context menu.
2. Press enter on, Options, arrow down to Voices submenu, press enter, and press enter on Voice Adjustment...
3. A. Now tab, 4 times to Voice Adjust All Contexts 1 of 5, and the setting you want is in here.
B. Tab 4 more times to, Voice upper case pitch change, and it's probably set on, 20.
C. Press your backspace key a couple of times to remove, 20, and type the number you want.  Note;  If you want a higher pitch type in a higher number than
20, and if you want a lower pitch type in a lower number.  You'll probably want to experiment with this.  I have mine set at, 27.
4. Tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

[...]

Many thanks. Although your guidance quoted Eloquence, it works with Daniel, which is my chosen profile.

Alison

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:56 PM

Hello,

I’m using MS Word, and I am trying to figure out if the Jaws sound schemes can be customized so that an entire word with the initial letter capitalized can be identified by pitch change or other sound? I know that the sound schemes can help you identify the first letter when a word is capitalized but when I’m proofreading documents as an attorney using “say all” I need to be able to identify if words in a sentence are capitalized more efficiently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

This works like a charm, thanks very much!

Is there a way of increasingly the degree of pitch change when Jaws is indicating a capital letter, as sometimes it isn’t very clear, and although your suggestion, Mike, would overcome this, I’d rather be notified by pitch change than the programme forever saying “cap”.

Alison

I’m using MS Word, and I am trying to figure out if the Jaws sound schemes can be customized so that an entire word with the initial letter capitalized can be identified by pitch change or other sound? I know that the sound schemes can help you identify the first letter when a word is capitalized but when I’m proofreading documents as an attorney using “say all” I need to be able to identify if words in a sentence are capitalized more efficiently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

kevin meyers

Is it possible to have capitalized letters be spoken with a different pitch  when I just arrow through the document in Word? I did add to the pitch for all voices and it will speake with a higher pitch if I read the line with the jaws key and up arrow.