moderated Identification Of Unicode Characters With JAWS

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hi, it's Annabelle.
Can any of you JAWS list members tell me how I would describe these Unicode characters so they can be correctly pronounced with JAWS? All that JAWS can say when I press the Current Character key three times quickly is:

Character 6 1 5 6 0
Character 6 1 5 1 2
Character 6 1 5 1 5
Character 6 1 5 2 1
Character 6 1 4 6 5
Character 6 1 6 4 1

If I select "Speak Character Value in Hex", the results are:

Character U+f078 Hex
Character U+F048 Hex
Character U+F04B Hex
Character U+F051 Hex
Character U+F019 Hex
Character U+f0c9 Hex

Other than that, it won't pronounce them when pressing the Current Character key once or twice, unless I know what characters they are.

Leo

Hi Annabelle,

If you want to have Jaws interpreting and pronouncing symbols based on Unicode hex  standard design, the only option I have found is adding the code and the name of the character to some files used by Jaws. Of course, you will have to find out the precise name of the character. Sometimes they are easy to find by doing a quick search on Google.  I just copy the symbol even though it is not pronounced by Jaws, and paste it into the editable box, then I add something like the name of this symbol is, and if I got lucky, the job would be done, at least for when it comes to specifying a name. However, this is not the case for all the characters, and I don’t know why.

For instance here’s an example of a symbol I added, of course it won’t be read for your synth:

The Unicode hex for the symbol above is U+02A7, and I told Jaws to pronounce it as T H diagraph because it is a symbol used in phonetic notations.

Is this what you want to do?

Best,

     Leo Bado.

[...]

What you're describing is what I want to do, however, I'm not sure what the symbols are. I know that if I click on one of them, it's like a "Play/Pause" button. Here's the web site where I found these symbols. https://soundideas.sourceaudio.com

[...]

Well, I couldn’t find anything slightly related to a name for this symbol. It could be just a graphical representation of some kind. You could add this symbol to Jaws as I told you, but if you don’t know the specific name for the symbol, there will be always the risk that you get confused when Jaws announces “play”  every time it comes across the graphic.

In other words, if it is just a decorative symbol,  other web designers may use it in a different  way, let’s say, to decorate an element regardless of the function.  This is why is very important to know the specific name, and the context where these symbols are being used.

Best,

     Leo Bado.

Can any of you JAWS list members tell me how I would describe these Unicode characters so they can be correctly pronounced with JAWS? All that JAWS can say when I press the Current Character key three times quickly is:

Character 6 1 5 6 0

Character 6 1 5 1 2

Character 6 1 5 1 5

Character 6 1 5 2 1

Character 6 1 4 6 5

Character 6 1 6 4 1

If I select "Speak Character Value in Hex", the results are:

Character U+f078 Hex

Character U+F048 Hex

Character U+F04B Hex

Character U+F051 Hex

Character U+F019 Hex

Character U+f0c9 Hex

Other than that, it won't pronounce them when pressing the Current Character key once or twice, unless I know what characters they are.

Cohn, Jonathan

I  just checked f078 and this is in the "private address space" in otherwords a web page can use it for whatever glyph they want. Essentially the web designer creates or copies a font definition file and puts graphics in that they want to use with the private UNICODE space and then they only need to use uf078 to have that graphic represented.
The below description is attributed to Wikipedia on the site:
Note how the actual  URL above has the code we were looking for in it, so if you just change that string you should be able to look up other UNICODE characters.

following information about Private Use codepoints:

In Unicode, the Private Use Areas (PUA) are three ranges of code points (U+E000U+F8FF in the BMP, and in planes 15 and 16) that, by definition, will not be assigned characters by the Unicode Consortium. The code points in these areas can not be considered as standardized characters in Unicode itself. They are intentionally left undefined so that third parties may define their own characters without conflicting with Unicode Consortium assignments. Under the Unicode Stability Policy, the Private Use Areas will remain allocated for that purpose in all future Unicode versions.

Assignments to Private Use Area characters need not be "private" in the sense of strictly internal to an organisation; a number of assignment schemes have been published by several organisations. Such publication may include a font that supports the definition (showing the glyphs), and software making use of the private-use characters (e.g. a graphics character for a "print document" function). By definition, multiple private parties may assign different characters to the same code point, with the consequence that a user may see one private character from an installed font where a different one was intended.

Representations

On Oct 2, 2021, at 09:20, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@...> wrote:

f078